View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Schwartz Signs Extension 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Schwartz Signs Extension
Thought this deserved its own thread. http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/06/29/source-lions-sign-head-coach-jim-schwartz-to-a-new-multi-year-contract-extension/

Per Tim Twentyman:
Quote:
Source: Lions sign head coach Jim Schwartz to a new multi-year contract extension
Posted by ttwentyman on June 29, 2012 – 4:12 pm

The Lions and head coach Jim Schwartz have agreed on a new multi-year contract extension, according to a league source. The length of the contract and financial terms were unknown.

The Lions and Schwartz have been steadfast in their refusal in not commenting on his contract this offseason.

“The next time I comment on my contract will be the first time,” Schwartz has said a number of times.

It always seemed like it was just a matter of time before the Lions and Schwartz would come to an agreement on a new deal, though. Schwartz, 46, has transformed an 0-16 organization to a 10-6 playoff team in only three seasons on the job. The Lions have gotten incrementally better in each of Schwartz’ three seasons, playing to a 2-14 record in 2009, 6-10 in 2010 and 10-6 in 2011. The Lions are expected to compete for a NFC North title and playoff spot this season.

Schwartz was entering the 2012 season in the final year of a four-year contract he signed back in January of 2009.

Now I can change my signature line!

June 29th, 2012, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Schwartz Signs Extension
ooohhh, WJB isn't going to be happy.

I wasn't worried about this one.

June 29th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:

Is he EVER happy?

Good signing here. Well deserved.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 29th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Congrats to Coach Schwartz and the team for a job well done thus far.

Last edited by thelomasbrowns on July 1st, 2012, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2012, 10:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:

I think he will have an coronary the day we sign Avril long term. I hope he is near a medic when he finds out. LOL.

June 29th, 2012, 10:23 pm

the year schwartz became a Lion, i think todd bowles, leslie fazier, and steve spags were the other front runners. schwartz was and is the right guy for us.

June 29th, 2012, 11:51 pm
All State

Killwill25 wrote:
the year schwartz became a Lion, i think todd bowles, leslie fazier, and steve spags were the other front runners. schwartz was and is the right guy for us.

Great point. The rest of them haven't done the job for their respective teams. On and off the field Discipline issues aside, I am absolutely satisfied with the job he is doing and where this team is going under Schwartz and Mayhew. As long as they keep going forward and don't start having 10-6 to 6-10 years I see nothing to complain about.

June 30th, 2012, 3:05 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think it's interesting that the contract details haven't been released yet. I wonder if it's just a year extension so he's not a "lame-duck" coach and will extend him next year, or if this was a long term deal. Coaches negotiations don't need to be public, but I'd like to at least hear how long etc.

July 2nd, 2012, 10:42 am

Im thinking its got to be more than 1 since it specifically mentioned a new Multi-year deal.

I mean technically taking 1 year left and making it 2 could be considered "multi-year" but i doubt it.

July 2nd, 2012, 3:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

This is good news, IMO.

The team has been heading in the right direction for the first time since I have been a fan and Schwartz has been a very big part of that.

I can understand some concerns over whether he is the right man to get us the next step. But I think he's more than earned the right to be given the opportunity to prove he can do that. And I think that coaching stability is the best way to get yourselves there.

July 3rd, 2012, 5:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]