View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Ravens (preseason game 2) 
League MVP

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Ravens (preseason game 2)
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
in all fairness, opponent defenses aren't the only one vanilla'd. our offense is as well. Stafford isn't looking as much due to the plays not callling for him to. have we even made a single adjustment at the line of scrimage (moving guys around and such) I cant recall us doing it once ithis preseason and we do that nearly every single play in the offeason. I understand your concern, bbut dont forsee it as a lingering issue.

Yes, there have been adjustments made. I've seen Stafford switch plays and alignments. Not often, but he has done it, even to the point where the announcers made mention of it in the Baltimore game.

As for the offense being vanilla, then that is an even bigger reason for Stafford to look for the open man and not force it to a covered receiver. He knows this offense pretty well, and should be more than capable of looking off a covered player to find the open guy.

And I'm sorry, but I can't think of a professional play in football that calls for the ball to go to one man, and one man only, in the passing game. Primary, secondary and tertiary receivers on almost every pass play are available. The only play that I would say is one where you have but one receiver to throw to would be a screen pass. And even then, you have the option of eating the ball or running if the receiver is covered.

Don't take what I say as being that Stafford is doing a backslide in his progression towards being an elite QB. However, should Stafford continue to rely so heavily on Calvin and not look off him when he should, it could hurt him in the long run. That's all I'm saying. Come the regular season, no team is going to be single covering Calvin. That has to leave someone else open.

I get where yer comming from, but up to this point Stafford has been good about not staring down a reciever. I think thats why im not overly concerned with it. but you do have a point, it's not hard to develope bad habits and lean on a crutch harder than you should...

August 21st, 2012, 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4