View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:50 pm



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Cornerback options 
Author Message
Stats Boy

Joined: June 4th, 2010, 9:22 am
Posts: 17
Post Cornerback options
I am worried about about the cornerback situation for the Lions, after watching Lacey strugle in coverage and the lack of depth, I wanted to think of possible solutions. I know that Andre Goodman is still out there, sure age is a concern but was a starter for a good Denver Defense last year. Does Mayhew pull a trade and pull in someone?


August 21st, 2012, 9:50 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Cornerback options
311nic wrote:
I am worried about about the cornerback situation for the Lions, after watching Lacey strugle in coverage and the lack of depth, I wanted to think of possible solutions. I know that Andre Goodman is still out there, sure age is a concern but was a starter for a good Denver Defense last year. Does Mayhew pull a trade and pull in someone?


I wouldn't be surpirsed unless someone besides Bentley steps up. The Lions were counting on Berry going into the season before having to cut him. I think Detroit will sit tight and see who gets released in final cuts before moving on someone like Goodman.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


August 21st, 2012, 9:58 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Cornerback options
Pablo wrote:
311nic wrote:
I am worried about about the cornerback situation for the Lions, after watching Lacey strugle in coverage and the lack of depth, I wanted to think of possible solutions. I know that Andre Goodman is still out there, sure age is a concern but was a starter for a good Denver Defense last year. Does Mayhew pull a trade and pull in someone?


I wouldn't be surpirsed unless someone besides Bentley steps up. The Lions were counting on Berry going into the season before having to cut him. I think Detroit will sit tight and see who gets released in final cuts before moving on someone like Goodman.


Did Berry sign anywhere else?

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 21st, 2012, 1:20 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Cornerback options
I haven't read that Berry signed anywhere. However, it appears he'll be suspended for the 1st 2 games of the reg. season due to his off the field actions.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120820/SPORTS01/120820075/detroit-lions-aaron-berry-transactions

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


August 21st, 2012, 1:22 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Cornerback options
then we can still re sign him right? I mean at this point it wouldn't make them cutting him for his off the feild antics any less valid. Maybe we're not toally hosed afterall?

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 21st, 2012, 1:27 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 655
Post Re: Cornerback options
regularjoe12 wrote:
then we can still re sign him right? I mean at this point it wouldn't make them cutting him for his off the feild antics any less valid. Maybe we're not toally hosed afterall?


I was thinking the same thing, especially if we don't get a corner after roster cuts. I wouldn't be mad at all if he came back. Now he knows what the consequences will be if he gets himself cut again, since I'm sure no team has contacted him. He only has 1 option now, and I would have much more confidence in him as our RCB than anyone on the roster.

_________________
Image


August 21st, 2012, 2:25 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Cornerback options
Aaron Berry was never that good to begin with. He's got good size, but he gets lost in zone coverage and often fails to get his head around in man coverage. Besides which, if the Lions signed him now it would guarantee his contract for the year, and he'd miss THREE games (the NFL suspended him for three games, from what I've read). I'd rather than continued to work with who they have, and see who shakes loose in the roster cuts.

Lacey didn't look all that great, I agree. Bentley will probably be the starter opposite Houston on opening day, Lacey will play the nickel spot, and Jonte Green will be fourth CB. Chris Greenwood will either be waived with the intention of putting him on IR or PS, or they will keep him on the roster if they think they'll lose him regardless. The only other CB that I think the Lions would consider keeping would be Justin Miller, but not for defense.

Trust me, there's better guys than Aaron Berry that will be available.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 21st, 2012, 2:34 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 655
Post Re: Cornerback options
m2karateman wrote:
Aaron Berry was never that good to begin with. He's got good size, but he gets lost in zone coverage and often fails to get his head around in man coverage. Besides which, if the Lions signed him now it would guarantee his contract for the year, and he'd miss THREE games (the NFL suspended him for three games, from what I've read). I'd rather than continued to work with who they have, and see who shakes loose in the roster cuts.

Lacey didn't look all that great, I agree. Bentley will probably be the starter opposite Houston on opening day, Lacey will play the nickel spot, and Jonte Green will be fourth CB. Chris Greenwood will either be waived with the intention of putting him on IR or PS, or they will keep him on the roster if they think they'll lose him regardless. The only other CB that I think the Lions would consider keeping would be Justin Miller, but not for defense.

Trust me, there's better guys than Aaron Berry that will be available.


What about Alphonso Smith?

_________________
Image


August 21st, 2012, 2:37 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Cornerback options
So signing Isaac Madison doesn't solve all of our corner questions? :lol:

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


August 21st, 2012, 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 655
Post Re: Cornerback options
Pablo wrote:
So signing Isaac Madison doesn't solve all of our corner questions? :lol:


Watching his highlights now, and he looks great. Good tackler, good at man coverage and pass breakups, zone coverage needs some work, but the kid plays with heart on every play. More than once he runs across the field to make a tackle. Great pickup, hopefully we sign him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEUxTQDAfns

_________________
Image


August 21st, 2012, 2:46 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Cornerback options
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Aaron Berry was never that good to begin with. He's got good size, but he gets lost in zone coverage and often fails to get his head around in man coverage. Besides which, if the Lions signed him now it would guarantee his contract for the year, and he'd miss THREE games (the NFL suspended him for three games, from what I've read). I'd rather than continued to work with who they have, and see who shakes loose in the roster cuts.

Lacey didn't look all that great, I agree. Bentley will probably be the starter opposite Houston on opening day, Lacey will play the nickel spot, and Jonte Green will be fourth CB. Chris Greenwood will either be waived with the intention of putting him on IR or PS, or they will keep him on the roster if they think they'll lose him regardless. The only other CB that I think the Lions would consider keeping would be Justin Miller, but not for defense.

Trust me, there's better guys than Aaron Berry that will be available.


What about Alphonso Smith?


I'm wondering if he will be odd man out....

Do the Lions risk two of their three rookies to keep Smith, who hasn't been all that impressive and they were looking to deal before the draft? Or do they keep the rookies to develop them and not risk losing them when they go on waivers?

Personally, I think Smith is a pretty good nickel back. But I think the Lions are going to give Lacey the nod in that regard. With Houston, Bentley and Lacey as their top three CBs, I don't know that they keep Smith instead of the rookies. I have a strong feeling Greenwood will be picked up by another team.

I also think that if the Lions can find a pretty decent CB to maybe be the starter opposite Houston, they'll keep Bentley, Lacey and one of the other rookies. Smith will be the one who gets released. Just my thoughts.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 21st, 2012, 2:48 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 655
Post Re: Cornerback options
m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Aaron Berry was never that good to begin with. He's got good size, but he gets lost in zone coverage and often fails to get his head around in man coverage. Besides which, if the Lions signed him now it would guarantee his contract for the year, and he'd miss THREE games (the NFL suspended him for three games, from what I've read). I'd rather than continued to work with who they have, and see who shakes loose in the roster cuts.

Lacey didn't look all that great, I agree. Bentley will probably be the starter opposite Houston on opening day, Lacey will play the nickel spot, and Jonte Green will be fourth CB. Chris Greenwood will either be waived with the intention of putting him on IR or PS, or they will keep him on the roster if they think they'll lose him regardless. The only other CB that I think the Lions would consider keeping would be Justin Miller, but not for defense.

Trust me, there's better guys than Aaron Berry that will be available.


What about Alphonso Smith?


I'm wondering if he will be odd man out....

Do the Lions risk two of their three rookies to keep Smith, who hasn't been all that impressive and they were looking to deal before the draft? Or do they keep the rookies to develop them and not risk losing them when they go on waivers?

Personally, I think Smith is a pretty good nickel back. But I think the Lions are going to give Lacey the nod in that regard. With Houston, Bentley and Lacey as their top three CBs, I don't know that they keep Smith instead of the rookies. I have a strong feeling Greenwood will be picked up by another team.

I also think that if the Lions can find a pretty decent CB to maybe be the starter opposite Houston, they'll keep Bentley, Lacey and one of the other rookies. Smith will be the one who gets released. Just my thoughts.


Let's say, hypothetically, we pick up a cornerback with the skill level of Tim Jennings on the Bears, and he starts at RCB, with Bentley at the nickel and Lacey/Green at dime, what do you think our record would be next year?

_________________
Image


August 21st, 2012, 2:53 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Cornerback options
depends on whether or not the other 10 guys learn to tackle. so far that has been a big disapointment this preseason and it doesn't matter how well you cover if you can't tackle.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 21st, 2012, 3:01 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Cornerback options
regularjoe12 wrote:
depends on whether or not the other 10 guys learn to tackle. so far that has been a big disapointment this preseason and it doesn't matter how well you cover if you can't tackle.


I agree. Projecting a possible record based on whether one position is improved slightly is just a wild guess.

Regardless of what happens with personnel, I predict a 9-7 season, give or take a game.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 21st, 2012, 3:08 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Cornerback options
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
depends on whether or not the other 10 guys learn to tackle. so far that has been a big disapointment this preseason and it doesn't matter how well you cover if you can't tackle.


I agree. Projecting a possible record based on whether one position is improved slightly is just a wild guess.

Regardless of what happens with personnel, I predict a 9-7 season, give or take a game.



The cornbread is better over here. Im thinkin 11 wins, give or take.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 21st, 2012, 3:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], sweetd20, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.