View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 15th, 2014, 12:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Here's comes the Turk (2012 edition) 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Here's comes the Turk (2012 edition)
Boz wrote:
Isn't Rolle the kid that said he was giving up football to concentrate on Med. School?
He is a former Rhodes Scholar and went to England (I think) to complete his studies. He has since completed all his requirements and was looking to continue his career as a pro football player. One has to wonder if the time away (1 or 2 years) effected his skills.

August 27th, 2012, 4:56 pm
Varsity Captain

It was England, Oxford infact. Hope he didn't startup with Crumpets and Tea. Not very manly...lol

August 27th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Boz wrote:
Isn't Rolle the kid that said he was giving up football to concentrate on Med. School?

I believe so.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 27th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BillySims wrote:
Is Safety Myron Rolle washed up? If not, he would be an upgrade.

He was drafted by the Titans in 2010, played in zero games, was cut at the end of that season. He failed to make a team in 2011 and has now failed to make the Steelers. Let's not confuse him with Antrel Rolle in terms of football skill. Myron Rolle is a great story because of his Rhodes Scholarship but he's a marginal player at best.

August 27th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Modmin Dude

NFL.com wrote:
Pick Analysis: Myron Rolle is a huge bargain for the Titans with the last pick of the sixth round. His intelligence goes without saying, but he brings a core competence to his playing the secondary. He's a little tight in the hips, and he didn't make a lot of big plays, but he's solid and dependable.

Overview

Rolle has great size and strength for the safety position but lacks great burst, lateral agility and change of direction in coverage. He does have good instincts and vision off the hash and likely his best fit is in two deep zone coverage schemes. Rolle tends to play high in his peddle and is a bit stiff in his hips. He is a solid run support defender filling the alley but not a "hammer" as a tackler. Myron missed the entire 2009 football season due to studying in Oxford (Rhodes scholarship) but will prepare to enter the 2010 NFL draft.

Strengths
Rolle has outstanding size and strength for the safety position and maintains an incredibly high conditioning level. Plays with terrific intelligence and shows good instincts coming up in run support and against the pass in zone coverage. Is a highly-competitive and productive player who was very durable in college.
Weaknesses
Rolle missed entire 2009 collegiate season studying in Oxford (Rhodes scholarship), raising questions about his long-term desire to play football. Is only an average overall athlete for the position, who showed some hip stiffness in college but answered some questions in this area at the Senior Bowl.
Grade

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/ ... ?id=494303

August 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm
RIP Killer

got a 33 on his Wonderlic, but a fringe player as mwill2 alluded to. He got a lot of press during the draft because he had a great story. I think I had about a late 4th/early 5th round grade on him and he lasted right to the end of the 6th round probably due to the Rhodes Scholarship.

The Lions need a coverage safety more than anything else and he doesn't fit the bill IMO.

August 27th, 2012, 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

Reminds me of Robert Smith at OSU back in the day - remember that?

August 27th, 2012, 8:09 pm
League MVP

barnes the new addition from washington had a higher wonderlic score for what its worth

August 27th, 2012, 8:24 pm
QB Coach

The Legend wrote:
barnes the new addition from washington had a higher wonderlic score for what its worth

That's the UMD education showing up. All of us alums are pretty bright guys.

August 28th, 2012, 2:07 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Browns make their final (for now) roster moves
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT

The Browns previously cut to 80 players. They finished the slide to 75 on Monday.

They created six roster spots by waiving with the “injured” designation defensive lineman Marcus Benard, defensive lineman Auston English, and defensive back Antwuan Reed. The Browns also placed linebacker Chris Gocong and sixth-round rookie linebacker Emmanuel Acho on injured reserve.

As expected, the Browns converted defensive lineman Phil Taylor from the active/Physically Unable to Perform list to the reserve/PUP list. Taylor, a first-round pick in 2011, tore a pectoral muscle in the offseason.

The Browns filled one of those roster spots with defensive lineman Ernest Owusu, who was claimed off waivers from the Vikings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ter-moves/
PFT wrote:
Packers’ Desmond Bishop out for season
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 27, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT

Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop will not play at all this season.

Bishop, who had surgery for a torn hamstring 10 days ago, has been placed on injured reserve, ending his 2012 season. Bishop started 13 games last season, and losing him is a big blow as Green Bay tries to improve its defense this season.

In getting their roster down to 75 players, the Packers also placed running back Du’ane Bennett, tight end DeMarco Cosby, guard Ray Dominguez, defensive end Johnny Jones and receiver Shaky Smithson on injured reserve. Tight end Andrew Quarless and linebacker Frank Zombo were placed on reserve/physically unable to perform.

The Packers also released fullback Jon Hoese and defensive end Jarius Wynn.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... or-season/
PFT wrote:
Patriots cut Jabar Gaffney among moves to get to 75
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 27, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT

The Patriots announced their roster moves Monday afternoon, and they cleared out some of the veteran receivers to make room for a younger one.

In addition to the previously reported Donte Stallworth move, they also cut wideout Jabar Gaffney.

Also released were defensive linemen Gerard Warren and Tim Bulman and safety Ross Ventrone (who will probably be re-signed and cut six more times before the start of the regular season).

Releasing Gaffney clears out a veteran who might have otherwise taken away receptions from their well-paid cast of tight ends. But he can still play and probably won’t be out of work long.

Defensive back Will Allen, safety Josh Barrett and fullback Spencer Larsen were placed on injured reserve, and tight end Jake Ballard and defensive lineman Myron Pryor were placed on the reserve-PUP. Rookie offensive lineman Markus Zusevics was placed on the reserve-Non Football Injury list.

The Patriots also claimed first-year WR Kerry Taylor off waivers from the Vikings. He was on their practice squad last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... get-to-75/
PFT wrote:
Bucs place Davin Joseph on IR, make other moves
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT

As expected, the Buccaneers have cleared a roster spot by placing guard Davin Joseph on injured reserve with a knee injury suffered Friday night against the Patriots.

They made 14 other moves to get to 75 players on Monday.

Waived were running back De’Anthony Curtis, long snapper Andrew DePaola, receiver Greg Ellingson, tight end Collin Franklin, receiver Ed Gant, punter Eric Guthrie, tackle Mike Ingersoll, linebacker Brian Smith, safety Tramain Thomas, and cornerback Marquese Wheaton.

The Bucs also placed defensive end Da’Quan Bowers on the reserve/PUP list, which makes him unavailable for at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... her-moves/
PFT wrote:
Redskins make first roster cuts
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT

The last bits of info regarding the first wave of roster cuts are trickling in. The Redskins are the latest to announce the moves that they made to get to 75 players.

As previously reported, kicker Neil Rackers lost the kicking competition to Graham Gano. The Redskins also released veteran offensive linemen Tony Moll (pictured) and James Lee.

The Redskins have waived running back Antwon Bailey, offensive lineman Chris Campbell, running back Lennon Creer, quarterback Jonathan Crompton, receiver Samuel Kirkland, linebacker Monte Lewis, guard Nick Martinez, and tight end Beau Reliford.

Receiver Lance Lewis was waived with the injured designation. If unclaimed, he reverts to Washington’s injured reserve list. Also, cornerback Morgan Trent was waived with an injury settlement; if unclaimed, he won’t be back.

Cornerback Kevin Barnes has been traded to the Lions.
Finally, right tackle Jammal Brown was shifted from active/PUP to reserve/PUP. He’ll miss at least the first six weeks of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ster-cuts/

August 28th, 2012, 9:31 am
RIP Killer

When you take a look at all the moves being made by the different teams, and see just how many players are being put on IR in other cities, you have to be thankful the Lions didn't have more injuries *knock on wood* than they have.

While they have some dings and bruises here and there, only two players are being put on IR....and one of them we signed in that condition.

August 28th, 2012, 9:36 am
Heisman Winner

Just saw a surprizing update on facebook by Schefter, apparently the Redskins released Chris Cooley. And I thought Millen made bad choices.

August 28th, 2012, 3:24 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Redskins release Chris Cooley
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

The Redskins have released tight end Chris Cooley after eight seasons with the team.

Cooley announced the news via an emotional press conference conducted in the open air of the team’s practice field.

The two-time Pro Bowler said he has no issues with the move, and that he’ll take time to decide what to do next. “I have every belief that I can play football,” Cooley said. “I have every belief that I can be not only a productive player but a starter in this league. I’m very confident in my ability to continue to play the game. It would be a tough decision for me to put on another jersey. It’s something I’ve never really had to imagine.”

But the clues were there, with Fred Davis emerging as the No. 1 tight end, Niles Paul moving to the position from receiver, and Cooley ultimately sliding to fullback. Last year, Chris Russell of Daniel Snyder-owned ESPN 980 reported that Cooley most likely wouldn’t be back in 2012.

The Redskins avoid a $3.8 million base salary by cutting Cooley. He instantly becomes a free agent, and he can sign with any team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... is-cooley/
PFT wrote:
Cooley’s options could include a return to the Redskins
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
redskins-chris-cooley Getty Images

Former Redskins tight end Chris Cooley believes he can still play, and he doesn’t seem to be interested in playing for another team.

In the end, he could be right back with the Redskins.

The hint came not long into his press conference. “Today, for the time being, will be my last day as a Redskin,” Cooley said.

Though it’s unclear whether the Redskins’ decision to cut Cooley was preceded by a request to reduce his base salary of $3.8 million, an important factor was absent from the normal take-a-pay-cut-or-take-a-hike protocol: Cooley has no agent.

His agent, Gary Wichard, died March 11, 2011, the day the player lockout started. NFLPA records still list Wichard as Cooley’s agent.

If Cooley had an agent, the agent could have “gauged the market” for Cooley’s services, calling around to see who would be interested and how much they would pay before giving the Redskins an answer. (Yes, it’s tampering. And, yes, it happens all the time.)

Since Cooley has no agent, the Redskins had to cut Cooley before he could find out whether and to what extent their offer compares favorably to what other teams would pay. In the end, with or without an agent, Cooley may realize that the reduced money the Redskins would be willing to pay Cooley is still more than what anyone else would offer — especially with Cooley hitting the market less than two weeks before the start of the 2012 regular season.

Still, Cooley could have options elsewhere, especially with teams copying the Patriots multi-tight-end approach. His best move would be to quickly hire someone to gather offers so that, in the end, he can decide whether his best move will be to return to the Redskins for a much lower salary in 2012.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/28/cooleys-options-could-include-a-return-to-the-redskins/

August 28th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Falcons ditch Chris Redman, sign Luke McCown
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 28, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT

The Falcons swapped backup quarterbacks Tuesday, signing Luke McCown and releasing Chris Redman, according to Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

This is not a move that should change your plans for your upcoming fantasy draft, but it does speak to the priorities of a new coaching staff.

McCown was just released by the Saints, but spent the previous three seasons in Jacksonville, where he worked with new Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

Redman was a vaguely functional backup, which is to say he didn’t do much the last five seasons in Atlanta. He started six games in that span, throwing more touchdowns than interceptions (21-14), but winning just one of those starts.

These kind of moves happen all the time, with coordinators preferring someone they know to someone they don’t (like Rob Chudzinski fetching Derek Anderson to the Panthers). But in most of those cases, the team in question would be in a huge mess if those guys actually had to play.

This is one of those cases. Then again, that would have been true even if they stuck with Redman.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ke-mccown/

August 28th, 2012, 4:06 pm
QB Coach

Cooley can still play even though he was hurt last year. He'll find a home soon and may even be a skin again just with a reduced salary.

August 28th, 2012, 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next