View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Detroit Lions still unsure when S Louis Delmas will return 
Modmin Dude

Post Detroit Lions still unsure when S Louis Delmas will return
Quote:
Published: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:11 AM
Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:17 AM
By Anwar S. Richardson

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz is confident safety Louis Delmas will play sometime during the upcoming NFL season.

Schwartz is just unsure when it might happen.

Delmas had surgery performed on his left knee by Dr. James Andrews, one of the world's top sports surgeons, earlier this month to assist in his recovery from knee soreness that developed toward the beginning of training camp. He missed most of Detroit's training camp and preseason practices.

Detroit's season opener is against the St. Louis Rams next Sunday, but Schwartz cannot guarantee Delmas will play in that game.

"If he's going to play, he's going to need to get out there at some point," Schwartz said. "He's getting better. That's all I can say. He's improving every day. I don't want to say Monday is his biggest thing. We're going to need to see him get on the field.

"His first action isn't going to be Sunday against the Rams. He's going to need to get back. He's on a good path. I don't know when he'll get back, but he's been improving every day. He's been making good progress."

Last season, Delmas missed five games after reportedly having surgery on his right knee. He played in Detroit's playoff game against New Orleans, but was not at 100 percent.

Delmas, a second-round pick by Detroit in 2009, has 163 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions in his career. He has missed seven games over the past three years.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... e_whe.html
Anyone this he could be a candidate for the new IR?

August 31st, 2012, 11:28 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Detroit Lions still unsure when S Louis Delmas will retu
TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:
Published: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:11 AM
Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:17 AM
By Anwar S. Richardson

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz is confident safety Louis Delmas will play sometime during the upcoming NFL season.

Schwartz is just unsure when it might happen.

Delmas had surgery performed on his left knee by Dr. James Andrews, one of the world's top sports surgeons, earlier this month to assist in his recovery from knee soreness that developed toward the beginning of training camp. He missed most of Detroit's training camp and preseason practices.

Detroit's season opener is against the St. Louis Rams next Sunday, but Schwartz cannot guarantee Delmas will play in that game.

"If he's going to play, he's going to need to get out there at some point," Schwartz said. "He's getting better. That's all I can say. He's improving every day. I don't want to say Monday is his biggest thing. We're going to need to see him get on the field.

"His first action isn't going to be Sunday against the Rams. He's going to need to get back. He's on a good path. I don't know when he'll get back, but he's been improving every day. He's been making good progress."

Last season, Delmas missed five games after reportedly having surgery on his right knee. He played in Detroit's playoff game against New Orleans, but was not at 100 percent.

Delmas, a second-round pick by Detroit in 2009, has 163 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions in his career. He has missed seven games over the past three years.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... e_whe.html

No. He'll be back sooner rather than later. If anyone was a prospect for that, as of right now, I'd say it was Nagy.

August 31st, 2012, 11:55 am
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

No. He'll be back sooner rather than later. If anyone was a prospect for that, as of right now, I'd say it was Nagy.
Good point, I forgot about him...

August 31st, 2012, 12:27 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I think we will save that in case Stafford or Calvin get a significant injury.

September 1st, 2012, 10:51 am
Player of the Year - Defense

BillySims wrote:

For this year, it had to be used yesterday by someone on the final 53, so we're not using it this year. Nagy could have been used this way, but we would have had to cut someone else, sign nagy then IR him. But I believe his recovery is going to take longer than 6-8 weeks.

September 1st, 2012, 11:39 am
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:

You HAD to say that, didnt you.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 1st, 2012, 12:21 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

You HAD to say that, didnt you.

Yeah, my statement has some linkage to the cosmic arbitrator of bad luck. :lol:

September 1st, 2012, 12:32 pm
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas remains week-to-week with recovery from knee surgery
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on September 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas had surgery in early August to help alleviate soreness in his knee. After the surgery, coach Jim Schwartz didn't put a timetable on Delmas' return, only saying the safety would be week-to-week as opposed to day-to-day.

On Thursday, a little more than six weeks after having the procedure done, Schwartz confirmed Delmas remains week-to-week with his recovery.

An earlier report indicated the team anticipated having Delmas back for the regular season opener, but as the Lions prepare for a Week 3 matchup with the Tennessee Titans, the safety still hasn't been cleared to practice. According to Schwartz, there hasn't been anything unexpected about the recovery period.

"There hasn't been any setbacks, it's just we're waiting for the knee to get better to get him back on the practice field and get him on the game field," Schwartz said. "I never said we expect to have him back. I only said, that's the objective. With injuries, we never go into any injury-- whether it's a guy with a pulled muscle, whether it's a guy with a knee injury, a guy with anything -- and say, 'This is the timetable, he's coming back right then.' That's one of the reasons I don't talk very much about injuries, because the only thing that's going to determine whether a guy is back on the field is whether he's able to do his job on the field.

Prior to the game against the San Francisco 49ers, Delmas was seen working out on the field. On Monday, Schwartz said the safety is trending in the right direction, but again declined to place a timetable on a potential return.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... del_6.html
I have to ask again, why wasn't he put on PUP or the new IR??? Its now week 3 with no apparent signs of him being ready within the next couple of weeks. PUP (if he was eligible, can't remember if he participated in training camp) is 6 weeks as is the new IR. Right now he's just wasting a roster spot. Thoughts?

September 20th, 2012, 4:02 pm
Modmin Dude

Freep wrote:
Lions' Louis Delmas might be out awhile longer
3:30 PM, September 20, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Louis Delmas is long past having a speedy return from August knee surgery, but Detroit Lions coach Jim Scwhartz indicated today that Delmas’ return still could be a ways off.

Asked about his oft-injured safety's recovery, Schwartz said Delmas is “really not day-to-day. He’s still more week-to-week.”

Delmas underwent surgery on his left knee Aug. 7, after dealing with tendinitis early in training camp. He hasn’t practiced since the procedure and isn't expected to play in Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.

Last year, Delmas missed the final five games of the regular season because of a partially torn ligament in his right knee that eventually required surgery.

Delmas has worked out with trainers on the field before each of the Lions’ first two games, and Schwartz insisted today that he hasn't suffered any setbacks in his recovery. The Lions initially hoped he would return at the start of the regular season.

“It’s just we’re waiting for his knee to be better to get him back on the practice field and get him on the game field,” Schwartz said. “Like I said, that’s what it is. I never said that we expect to have him back. That’s the objective, but with injuries, we never go into any injury, whether it’s a guy with a pulled muscle or a guy with a knee injury- - a guy with anything -- and say, 'Hey, this is the timetable, and he’s coming back right then.'

"That’s one of the reasons I don’t talk very much about injuries, 'cause the only thing that’s going to determine whether a guy’s back on the field is whether he’s able to do his job on the field. That’s where we are with him.”

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-8831 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Free Press beat writer Dave Birkett will answer your Lions questions in a live chat at 3 p.m. Friday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here. Then come back Sunday, as Carlos Monarrez live-blogs the Lions-Titans game. And make your NFL picks here.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120920/S ... it%20Lions
Something else that crossed my mind on this...Ryan Mathews broke his collarbone in the 1st preseason game and he will be starting this week, ~ 2 months after injury. How is it that Delmas' knee STILL isn't healed after over 8 months??? :confused: ](*,)

Paging the Lionbacker Rehab Guru....please help me understand....

EDIT: For all of those wanting to dump Best, do you feel that same about Delmas? Why or why not?

September 20th, 2012, 4:18 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I dont want to "Dump" Best. I just truely feel like one bump to the noggin wioll make him a human vegetable. I like the kids tallent, but life witha functional brain is pretty cool (or so im told :wink: ) and I'd hate to see him not have that.

September 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm
League MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
Freep wrote:
Lions' Louis Delmas might be out awhile longer
3:30 PM, September 20, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Louis Delmas is long past having a speedy return from August knee surgery, but Detroit Lions coach Jim Scwhartz indicated today that Delmas’ return still could be a ways off.

Asked about his oft-injured safety's recovery, Schwartz said Delmas is “really not day-to-day. He’s still more week-to-week.”

Delmas underwent surgery on his left knee Aug. 7, after dealing with tendinitis early in training camp. He hasn’t practiced since the procedure and isn't expected to play in Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.

Last year, Delmas missed the final five games of the regular season because of a partially torn ligament in his right knee that eventually required surgery.

Delmas has worked out with trainers on the field before each of the Lions’ first two games, and Schwartz insisted today that he hasn't suffered any setbacks in his recovery. The Lions initially hoped he would return at the start of the regular season.

“It’s just we’re waiting for his knee to be better to get him back on the practice field and get him on the game field,” Schwartz said. “Like I said, that’s what it is. I never said that we expect to have him back. That’s the objective, but with injuries, we never go into any injury, whether it’s a guy with a pulled muscle or a guy with a knee injury- - a guy with anything -- and say, 'Hey, this is the timetable, and he’s coming back right then.'

"That’s one of the reasons I don’t talk very much about injuries, 'cause the only thing that’s going to determine whether a guy’s back on the field is whether he’s able to do his job on the field. That’s where we are with him.”

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-8831 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Free Press beat writer Dave Birkett will answer your Lions questions in a live chat at 3 p.m. Friday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here. Then come back Sunday, as Carlos Monarrez live-blogs the Lions-Titans game. And make your NFL picks here.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120920/S ... it%20Lions
Something else that crossed my mind on this...Ryan Mathews broke his collarbone in the 1st preseason game and he will be starting this week, ~ 2 months after injury. How is it that Delmas' knee STILL isn't healed after over 8 months??? :confused: ](*,)

Paging the Lionbacker Rehab Guru....please help me understand....

EDIT: For all of those wanting to dump Best, do you feel that same about Delmas? Why or why not?

Its hard to say bc its not clear what kind of surgery Delmas had done. The article said he had tendonitis but that is not a common reason to have surgery in the knee. If he had just a simple knee scope the swelling would probably improve by about 2 weeks post op and I imaging he would be ready to go. If he had more of a meniscus repair, ligament reconstruction, microfracture he would be out much longer and would not be week to week. I suppose its possible he had surgery for patella tendonitis with an open incision. Even with that though I would think he would be back in 6 weeks or so. with mathews clavicle fracture - its a bone that heals reliably and predictably in 6 weeks or so and if they operated on him and are confident in the surgical fixation than they could let him go back before 6 weeks although its with some risk.

I think people want to dump Best bc it is inevitable that another concussion will occur especially with the sport and position he plays. As for Delmas he does seem to be injury prone type of guy but none of his injuries have that chronic nature to them where they are always nagging him or likely to reoccur

September 20th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Team MVP

I hate to be the one to say this, but does anyone else not see Delmas in a lions jersey next year?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 20th, 2012, 5:24 pm
Modmin Dude

kdsberman wrote:
I hate to be the one to say this, but does anyone else not see Delmas in a lions jersey next year?
IMO unless he would sign an incentive-laden contract, I don't want him in a Lions jersey next year. Dood just can't stay healthy. He's had almost a year to take care of his knee and nothing.

September 20th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Modmin Dude

The Legend wrote:
Its hard to say bc its not clear what kind of surgery Delmas had done. The article said he had tendonitis but that is not a common reason to have surgery in the knee. If he had just a simple knee scope the swelling would probably improve by about 2 weeks post op and I imaging he would be ready to go. If he had more of a meniscus repair, ligament reconstruction, microfracture he would be out much longer and would not be week to week. I suppose its possible he had surgery for patella tendonitis with an open incision. Even with that though I would think he would be back in 6 weeks or so. with mathews clavicle fracture - its a bone that heals reliably and predictably in 6 weeks or so and if they operated on him and are confident in the surgical fixation than they could let him go back before 6 weeks although its with some risk.

I think people want to dump Best bc it is inevitable that another concussion will occur especially with the sport and position he plays. As for Delmas he does seem to be injury prone type of guy but none of his injuries have that chronic nature to them where they are always nagging him or likely to reoccur
Like I said above, 8 MONTHS and still not healed. At his age, he could've had a knee replacement and been ready to play by now ](*,)

September 20th, 2012, 5:28 pm
League MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Like I said above, 8 MONTHS and still not healed. At his age, he could've had a knee replacement and been ready to play by now ](*,)

his injury last season was to the other knee

September 20th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next