View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon? 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
Couldn't fit in all in the title, but the question is: Do you honestly think Jim Schwartz, Martin Mayhew, Tom Lewand, and our current coaching staff can build a championship team within 3 years, and if so, do you think the Lions will be the next dynasty?

In my honest opinion, I think it'll take us just 2-3 more years before we make it to the Super Bowl. Reason being Nick Fairley will be much more mature and in shape, Suh will be more experienced and probably easily the best DT in the NFL, most of the defense will have playoff experience, Stafford and Johnson will be in their primes, and I am VERY sure Mayhew will continue to steal players in the draft and hustle lots of players around and have a force of a team in a few years.

September 4th, 2012, 2:52 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
i think we SHOULD have a SB callibur team within the next 2 years....but it's hard to say for sure. SB winners are more guaged by luck wghen it comes to rosters. wouold the Giants have won it all last year had they had another 2-3 injuries? Probably not...

so it all al comes down to staying healthy. to be honest if we stay healthy THIS year we could potentially reach the show. Like I said it's hard to say....

September 4th, 2012, 3:03 pm
RIP Killer

Yes they can. If you have a QB in this league you have a shot at the championship. The Lions have a plan in place, although a number of fans still want to take a "plug a hole" approach - and most championship teams are built around great players and a great plan.

I don't think the Lions are the next dynasty - those are hard to come by in today's NFL, but with a healthy Stafford assuming he continues to develop and play at a high level they will be contenders for years to come.

September 4th, 2012, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Butkus Award Winner

regularjoe12 wrote:
i think we SHOULD have a SB callibur team within the next 2 years....but it's hard to say for sure. SB winners are more guaged by luck wghen it comes to rosters. wouold the Giants have won it all last year had they had another 2-3 injuries? Probably not...

so it all al comes down to staying healthy. to be honest if we stay healthy THIS year we could potentially reach the show. Like I said it's hard to say....

True. We were giving the Saints a battle before the refs decided it was too much. Should've been 21-7 after that fumble return that would've been a easy 7 points. To be within 3 points of arguably the best offense in NFL history going into the 4th with a secondary full of mediocre players and a bunch of guys playing injured, all on the road, showed that this is a team that can win playoff games. If we make it to the playoffs, which I think we will without a doubt, we will probably win a playoff game. Hopefully it isn't against the Saints again, but either way I think this team will at the very least win 1.

Pablo - What NFL teams' managements do you think are better than the Lions? Just curious.

September 4th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Pablo - What NFL teams' managements do you think are better than the Lions? Just curious.

I going to answer this for him...Have you seen the PAtriots Lately?

those guys know how to run a franchise. Not even a slight loss of a step after Poili left. there is a reason they win 12+ games every season...even when they DON'T have a healthy brady.

The Gm of the Steelers also runs a damn fine ship. A playoff conteder every year for how long now?

September 4th, 2012, 3:30 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:

Patriots, Steelers, Giants - they have a consistency in ownership, management, coaching, and philosophy. They also win consistently as a result but still have flaws.

There are a couple of other franchises I'd put above the Lions, but they haven't shown they can do it over the long haul like those three and are pretty close to Detroit IMO.

September 4th, 2012, 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Patriots, Steelers, Giants - they have a consistency in ownership, management, coaching, and philosophy. They also win consistently as a result but still have flaws.

There are a couple of other franchises I'd put above the Lions, but they haven't shown they can do it over the long haul like those three and are pretty close to Detroit IMO.

I'd put the Packers in that same category, and IMO Houston and SF have to starting to get some consideration, esp. if they keep it up.

I think Schwartz was a big upgrade from our previous coaches, but I don't like that he encourages (or doesn't' punish enough) thuggish behavior. I said it before it was a problem, now I see it as a problem, we'll see if he can reel those guys back in, but I doubt it. IMO we're going to need more discipline if we're going to win a SB, and it may take a coaching change to get there. That said, Detroit has been happy with mediocrity before (Fontes era), so Schwartz may never go if he consistently wins 8+ games a year.

I think Mayhew is a big upgrade over Millen, but that's not saying much. Millen literally ran the Lions as a part time job. That's completely ridiculous. Mayhew may have worked some good trades for us, but IMO is drafting hasn't been great at all, and good teams draft well. I'm also not impressed with our scouting department. Mayhew handled the Avril situation HORRIBLY IMO, and I think it cost us this year. I know I could be wrong, but I don't think we're going to get as good as people think this year. We have too many holes, and last year would have been a good offseason to fill all of them.

September 4th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Being a "championship" team is, essentially, being a playoff team + going on a hot streak at the right time. The Lions are already a playoff team, or they were last year anyway, so it's just a matter of getting hot in the playoffs. In this regard, I don't think there is a 2-3 year building period. Assuming the team doesn't regress, the foundation is already in place.

With that said, fans forget how tough it is to win a Super Bowl. The Packers went 15-1 last year but weren't a championship team. The Patriots went 16-0 but weren't champions. Great teams, great coaches, and great players fail to win the Super Bowl each and every year. Sure, I'd love the Lions to win a Super Bowl but I'm not going to consider this regime a failure if they don't win a championship.

September 4th, 2012, 5:53 pm
Varsity Captain

wjb are you friking kidding me.your opinion is a joke.we have a general manager who took a team from 0-16 to a playoff team in 3 years i dont know of any other gm to do that.as for the draft what team has drafted better in the last 4 years.the fact is you have a no idea how things are done in the real world so why dont you stick to being a madden gm.and as for saying we suck in the scouting department why dont you bring all your football knowledge down here to allen park and interview for a position i,m sure we could use another guy to clean up the locker rooms . :finger:

September 4th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

allenslions wrote:
wjb are you friking kidding me.your opinion is a joke.we have a general manager who took a team from 0-16 to a playoff team in 3 years i dont know of any other gm to do that.as for the draft what team has drafted better in the last 4 years.the fact is you have a no idea how things are done in the real world so why dont you stick to being a madden gm.and as for saying we suck in the scouting department why dont you bring all your football knowledge down here to allen park and interview for a position i,m sure we could use another guy to clean up the locker rooms . :finger:

sometimes i really do think WJB is joking with some of the stuff he says.

September 4th, 2012, 6:27 pm

allenslions wrote:

Makin things a little personal arn't you? You don't like his opinion? Try making a counterpoint instead of an attack. Conversations have a tendency of being more productive that way...

September 4th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
allenslions wrote:

sometimes i really do think WJB is joking with some of the stuff he says.

I know. It is really amazing some of the opinions he has. Bad drafting?? Need a new coach?? Seriously?? Might as well root for a new team if the Lions are never good enough for him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 4th, 2012, 7:23 pm
Varsity Captain

i work in that scouting department he said sucks so yeah it was personal.

September 4th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I'll go on record as saying Mayhew's drafting ability is vastly overrated. Some of the best players he's gotten -- Stafford, Suh, Fairely fell to him. His best player (CJ) was inherited. His later round picks have been hit or miss. If the Lions stay consistently good for the next few years, that's where you'll really be able to tell how great the drafting is. Can he find value in the late first and second round where it counts?

Mayhew's real ability comes from wheeling and dealing. Making trades, shifting players around, finding the right guys on the waiver wire, etc.

That said, Mayhew appears to be a far above average GM at this point, but if Stafford had turned out to be a bust, we'd all be here right now writing about how much of a bum Mayhew is.

Quote:
Being a "championship" team is, essentially, being a playoff team + going on a hot streak at the right time. The Lions are already a playoff team, or they were last year anyway, so it's just a matter of getting hot in the playoffs. In this regard, I don't think there is a 2-3 year building period. Assuming the team doesn't regress, the foundation is already in place.

This. Times a million.

The NFL is no longer slowly build up a team -- first hit .500, then get to the playoffs, then get to the division championship, then SB. In the last 5-10 years it's basically become all luck. Too many wildcard teams have had too much success while so many #1 seeds have been easily knocked out.

If I was a GM, my goal would simply be to make it to the playoffs every year. Once I get there, I know I have a shot. If I can build a team that will make it to the playoffs 5 times in 10 years, I know I will probably make it to the SB at least once, if not win it.

If Mayhew continues to build for the long-term -- draft smart, not overpay players, etc. then yes I think the Lions will win a SB sometime in the next decade.

September 4th, 2012, 8:31 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:

I'd put the Packers in that same category, and IMO Houston and SF have to starting to get some consideration, esp. if they keep it up.

I think Schwartz was a big upgrade from our previous coaches, but I don't like that he encourages (or doesn't' punish enough) thuggish behavior. I said it before it was a problem, now I see it as a problem, we'll see if he can reel those guys back in, but I doubt it. IMO we're going to need more discipline if we're going to win a SB, and it may take a coaching change to get there. That said, Detroit has been happy with mediocrity before (Fontes era), so Schwartz may never go if he consistently wins 8+ games a year.

I think Mayhew is a big upgrade over Millen, but that's not saying much. Millen literally ran the Lions as a part time job. That's completely ridiculous. Mayhew may have worked some good trades for us, but IMO is drafting hasn't been great at all, and good teams draft well. I'm also not impressed with our scouting department. Mayhew handled the Avril situation HORRIBLY IMO, and I think it cost us this year. I know I could be wrong, but I don't think we're going to get as good as people think this year. We have too many holes, and last year would have been a good offseason to fill all of them.

Please tell me you're kidding. Mayhew uses the BPA strategy every single year, and has gotten steals on steals on steals. Delmas, Willie Young, DeAndre Levy, and Titus Young are all or will all soon be big role players in our team, and Nick Fairley/Mikel Leshoure would've probably been on that list if they didn't get injured last season. The only bad pick he made since he took over was Derrick Williams in the third round. How did he handle the Avril situation horribly? He offered Cliff a ridiculous contract and it was turned down, so he got him on the franchise tag. What did you want him to do? Our only holes are in the secondary, the run game, and the offensive line's run blocking. The secondary very well may surprise lots of people; it ranked 9th last year before injuries. The run game can also get a big boost from Leshoure/Kevin Smith, and if Jahvid comes back after 6 weeks our backfield can do special things. Our offensive line is being rebuilt, hence Mayhew taking Riley Reiff since he's a very solid run blocker unlike any of our current offensive linemen. The Lions haven't had a GM like Mayhew in a long, long time.

September 4th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next