View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 5:53 am



Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon? 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
The Legend wrote:
m2k - you made a couple of good points but I think wjb s opinion that Mayhew makes good trades but not sold yet on the drafting part is a reasonable one. you kind of lost me when you said you think most D1 NCAA team could beat Millen's Lions? that kind of statement just makes one stop reading.


Legend, if you can't recognize some sarcasm when you read it, I just don't know what to tell you. The team was bad....REALLY bad. We had good players, but the coaching and chemistry just destroyed any good that could have come from those few good players we had. That's what I was basically saying with my statement.

As for the trades vs. drafting...it's hard to judge the bulk of his drafts because they just haven't had time to get a good look. Fairley made some stupid decision off the field, and missed most of last season with his foot injury. Did anyone see that foot injury coming? No. So it's WAY too soon to even consider calling him a bust at this point. Same with some other players. Jason Fox looked really good in pre-season. His injuries are a concern, but he seems to have put that behind him for now. If he can now stay healthy, we have our starting tackles for the future.

All of us on here have second guessed or criticized some picks at one time or another. Remember when we took Stanley Wilson in the third round back a few years ago? If Millen had listened to me, we'd have Justin Tuck on our roster right now. It doesn't mean squat. In regards to the Alex Mack vs. Brandon Pettigrew pick, I completely understand how wjb and you feel. However, it doesn't change the fact that when you take a young QB, have a proven center on your roster, and have no tight end worth while, you take that tight end to support your young QB and give him an outlet. It happens quite often in the NFL in circumstances like that. I am no big fan of Raiola, and I have criticized Pettigrew for his lack of focus at times. The pick wasn't a foolish one, and has turned out to be a productive one. That's where continued criticism of the pick needs to stop. Pettigrew isn't a bust, and has in fact turned out to be a pretty darn good player for us. Whether he's taken in the first round or seventh round, any player like that is a smart pick. Use the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" arguments for the authentic busts we have had in the first three rounds of past drafts, not for players that have steadily progressed and have made a positive impact.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 9th, 2012, 10:22 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2713
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2k - you made a couple of good points but I think wjb s opinion that Mayhew makes good trades but not sold yet on the drafting part is a reasonable one. you kind of lost me when you said you think most D1 NCAA team could beat Millen's Lions? that kind of statement just makes one stop reading.


Legend, if you can't recognize some sarcasm when you read it, I just don't know what to tell you. The team was bad....REALLY bad. We had good players, but the coaching and chemistry just destroyed any good that could have come from those few good players we had. That's what I was basically saying with my statement.

As for the trades vs. drafting...it's hard to judge the bulk of his drafts because they just haven't had time to get a good look. Fairley made some stupid decision off the field, and missed most of last season with his foot injury. Did anyone see that foot injury coming? No. So it's WAY too soon to even consider calling him a bust at this point. Same with some other players. Jason Fox looked really good in pre-season. His injuries are a concern, but he seems to have put that behind him for now. If he can now stay healthy, we have our starting tackles for the future.

All of us on here have second guessed or criticized some picks at one time or another. Remember when we took Stanley Wilson in the third round back a few years ago? If Millen had listened to me, we'd have Justin Tuck on our roster right now. It doesn't mean squat. In regards to the Alex Mack vs. Brandon Pettigrew pick, I completely understand how wjb and you feel. However, it doesn't change the fact that when you take a young QB, have a proven center on your roster, and have no tight end worth while, you take that tight end to support your young QB and give him an outlet. It happens quite often in the NFL in circumstances like that. I am no big fan of Raiola, and I have criticized Pettigrew for his lack of focus at times. The pick wasn't a foolish one, and has turned out to be a productive one. That's where continued criticism of the pick needs to stop. Pettigrew isn't a bust, and has in fact turned out to be a pretty darn good player for us. Whether he's taken in the first round or seventh round, any player like that is a smart pick. Use the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" arguments for the authentic busts we have had in the first three rounds of past drafts, not for players that have steadily progressed and have made a positive impact.


Not sold on the drafts? While I agree with m2k that it's too early to completely judge them, how many times under Millen did we draft someone that didn't make even come close to making the roster. 7th round picks were throw aways. Do you realize that every single player drafted this year made the 53? Our 7th round pick is the backup MLB. 7th round pick from 3 years ago is backup left DE. There have been a few players that haven't worked out, but if you say that the drafts have been bad or questionable just because you didn't get who you wanted, then you're just being unreasonable. A draft is measured on how many make the roster and contribute to the team. Having a complete draft class make the team even when we know that the talent level is much higher than it was in 2008, is saying a lot about the draft class. If anyone can honestly say the drafting hasn't improved is just holding on to the past.


September 9th, 2012, 10:47 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
njroar wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2k - you made a couple of good points but I think wjb s opinion that Mayhew makes good trades but not sold yet on the drafting part is a reasonable one. you kind of lost me when you said you think most D1 NCAA team could beat Millen's Lions? that kind of statement just makes one stop reading.


Legend, if you can't recognize some sarcasm when you read it, I just don't know what to tell you. The team was bad....REALLY bad. We had good players, but the coaching and chemistry just destroyed any good that could have come from those few good players we had. That's what I was basically saying with my statement.

As for the trades vs. drafting...it's hard to judge the bulk of his drafts because they just haven't had time to get a good look. Fairley made some stupid decision off the field, and missed most of last season with his foot injury. Did anyone see that foot injury coming? No. So it's WAY too soon to even consider calling him a bust at this point. Same with some other players. Jason Fox looked really good in pre-season. His injuries are a concern, but he seems to have put that behind him for now. If he can now stay healthy, we have our starting tackles for the future.

All of us on here have second guessed or criticized some picks at one time or another. Remember when we took Stanley Wilson in the third round back a few years ago? If Millen had listened to me, we'd have Justin Tuck on our roster right now. It doesn't mean squat. In regards to the Alex Mack vs. Brandon Pettigrew pick, I completely understand how wjb and you feel. However, it doesn't change the fact that when you take a young QB, have a proven center on your roster, and have no tight end worth while, you take that tight end to support your young QB and give him an outlet. It happens quite often in the NFL in circumstances like that. I am no big fan of Raiola, and I have criticized Pettigrew for his lack of focus at times. The pick wasn't a foolish one, and has turned out to be a productive one. That's where continued criticism of the pick needs to stop. Pettigrew isn't a bust, and has in fact turned out to be a pretty darn good player for us. Whether he's taken in the first round or seventh round, any player like that is a smart pick. Use the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" arguments for the authentic busts we have had in the first three rounds of past drafts, not for players that have steadily progressed and have made a positive impact.


Not sold on the drafts? While I agree with m2k that it's too early to completely judge them, how many times under Millen did we draft someone that didn't make even come close to making the roster. 7th round picks were throw aways. Do you realize that every single player drafted this year made the 53? Our 7th round pick is the backup MLB. 7th round pick from 3 years ago is backup left DE. There have been a few players that haven't worked out, but if you say that the drafts have been bad or questionable just because you didn't get who you wanted, then you're just being unreasonable. A draft is measured on how many make the roster and contribute to the team. Having a complete draft class make the team even when we know that the talent level is much higher than it was in 2008, is saying a lot about the draft class. If anyone can honestly say the drafting hasn't improved is just holding on to the past.


millen isnt the standard of excellence. of course mayhew is infinitely better than millen. never said any different.


September 9th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2k - you made a couple of good points but I think wjb s opinion that Mayhew makes good trades but not sold yet on the drafting part is a reasonable one. you kind of lost me when you said you think most D1 NCAA team could beat Millen's Lions? that kind of statement just makes one stop reading.


Legend, if you can't recognize some sarcasm when you read it, I just don't know what to tell you. The team was bad....REALLY bad. We had good players, but the coaching and chemistry just destroyed any good that could have come from those few good players we had. That's what I was basically saying with my statement.

As for the trades vs. drafting...it's hard to judge the bulk of his drafts because they just haven't had time to get a good look. Fairley made some stupid decision off the field, and missed most of last season with his foot injury. Did anyone see that foot injury coming? No. So it's WAY too soon to even consider calling him a bust at this point. Same with some other players. Jason Fox looked really good in pre-season. His injuries are a concern, but he seems to have put that behind him for now. If he can now stay healthy, we have our starting tackles for the future.

All of us on here have second guessed or criticized some picks at one time or another. Remember when we took Stanley Wilson in the third round back a few years ago? If Millen had listened to me, we'd have Justin Tuck on our roster right now. It doesn't mean squat. In regards to the Alex Mack vs. Brandon Pettigrew pick, I completely understand how wjb and you feel. However, it doesn't change the fact that when you take a young QB, have a proven center on your roster, and have no tight end worth while, you take that tight end to support your young QB and give him an outlet. It happens quite often in the NFL in circumstances like that. I am no big fan of Raiola, and I have criticized Pettigrew for his lack of focus at times. The pick wasn't a foolish one, and has turned out to be a productive one. That's where continued criticism of the pick needs to stop. Pettigrew isn't a bust, and has in fact turned out to be a pretty darn good player for us. Whether he's taken in the first round or seventh round, any player like that is a smart pick. Use the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" arguments for the authentic busts we have had in the first three rounds of past drafts, not for players that have steadily progressed and have made a positive impact.


i agree with you, wjb was getting raked through the coals - I just wanted to point out SOME of the parts of his posts that I didnt think were far from the truth.

i dont think pettigrew is a bust, it was a solid pick just not a great one.


September 9th, 2012, 7:09 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
The Legend wrote:
i agree with you, wjb was getting raked through the coals - I just wanted to point out SOME of the parts of his posts that I didnt think were far from the truth.

i dont think pettigrew is a bust, it was a solid pick just not a great one.


You understand, I hope, that wjb gets raked over the coals because everything is doom and gloom with him. There comes a time when folks are tired of hearing about the mistakes and would like to see some recognition of the good.

As for Pettigrew, yesterday was a prime example of why he'll never be considered an elite tight end. He drops too many crucial balls like he did in the end zone. That is a play that an elite receiving tight end makes 9 out of 10 times. Instead, he drops them about half the time. He's certainly no Charlie Sanders. But, like I said, I understand why they took him, and with all the busts that came out of that draft, I'm pretty happy with him overall.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 10th, 2012, 8:23 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2218
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i agree with you, wjb was getting raked through the coals - I just wanted to point out SOME of the parts of his posts that I didnt think were far from the truth.

i dont think pettigrew is a bust, it was a solid pick just not a great one.


You understand, I hope, that wjb gets raked over the coals because everything is doom and gloom with him. There comes a time when folks are tired of hearing about the mistakes and would like to see some recognition of the good.

As for Pettigrew, yesterday was a prime example of why he'll never be considered an elite tight end. He drops too many crucial balls like he did in the end zone. That is a play that an elite receiving tight end makes 9 out of 10 times. Instead, he drops them about half the time. He's certainly no Charlie Sanders. But, like I said, I understand why they took him, and with all the busts that came out of that draft, I'm pretty happy with him overall.


The game was also an example of why he's so maddening. He comes back after the series with all the drops and racks up 70 yards in one drive. Look on the bright side: he'll be cheaper to extend. :D

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 10th, 2012, 8:35 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3257
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i agree with you, wjb was getting raked through the coals - I just wanted to point out SOME of the parts of his posts that I didnt think were far from the truth.

i dont think pettigrew is a bust, it was a solid pick just not a great one.


You understand, I hope, that wjb gets raked over the coals because everything is doom and gloom with him. There comes a time when folks are tired of hearing about the mistakes and would like to see some recognition of the good.

As for Pettigrew, yesterday was a prime example of why he'll never be considered an elite tight end. He drops too many crucial balls like he did in the end zone. That is a play that an elite receiving tight end makes 9 out of 10 times. Instead, he drops them about half the time. He's certainly no Charlie Sanders. But, like I said, I understand why they took him, and with all the busts that came out of that draft, I'm pretty happy with him overall.


The game was also an example of why he's so maddening. He comes back after the series with all the drops and racks up 70 yards in one drive. Look on the bright side: he'll be cheaper to extend. :D


Agree. Just when he CANT come through for a very crucial TD catch, he comes through for a very crucial late game TD drive. CONSISTENCY Pettigrew..where is it?? You just dont know what to expect from him and when.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 10th, 2012, 9:34 am
Profile
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
You guys are joke. We come out flat, unprepared, and get out coached in every way by a far inferior team, yet I'm crazy for stating the Schwartz may not be the guy to take us to the promise land?

Meanwhile, Harbaugh comes out like a man possessed and whoops GB, Michael Bush rushes for 3.5 ypc and picks up 2 touchdowns with tough goal-line carries, and Tracy Porter has a near flawless game, blanketing Mike Wallace, often times with single coverage, has at least 3 PDs, and picks a ball off for a touchdown. Yea, we definitely don't need that kind of garbage on our team.

There is no room for Michael Bush in our backfield because he's too big and doesn't fit the "role" that we drafted Best for (which is another complete phucking joke, because we drafted Best to be our every down back), and yea, it looks really responsible to ride out this broken experiment with Javid Best... :roll:

Tracy Porter would be our #1 CB, BY FAR. He's nearly 6', fast, can jam guys at the line, he's a sure tackler, and he has good hands and great cover skills. Totally not worth the $4 mill he's getting... You guys are right, this team is better off with Cliff and a LOAD of talent behind him, than a true #1 CB.

On top of that, the only reason it is no longer profitable to cut Nate is because he re-negotiated his contract to shift $3.175 million into a guaranteed bonus. We COULD have saved over $2.5 million by cutting him earlier in the year. We COULD have signed Manningham for what we would have saved by cutting Nate. Manningham is by all accounts a great guy and a team player, so don't give me that "Nate is a good guy" nonsense. He's over paid and he's hurting the team. And before you go congratulating him for re-negotiating his contract, he didn't lose one dollar. He didn't take ONE DOLLAR less, he just got MORE NOW, and now it will cost us more (or save us less, depending on how you want to look at it) to cut him next offseason, which means he'll probably be a Lion in 2013 with a base salary of $4.5 million and a signing bonus proration of $2 million and some change. That is, he will be over 30 and over paid yet again next season. Your beloved GM just phucked up again, IMO.

And someone wants to come out and state that it wouldn't save us anything to cut Corey Williams? Uhmmm, wrong... It would have saved us $4.3 million to cut him in the beginning of the season. That is, it would have saved us enough to sign our #1 CB at the beginning of the season, yet we held onto a guy that's our 3rd or 4th DT, in a LOADED DT corps, when we have a severe lack of talent at CB. And Mayhew is "managing" this team well?

We drafted a #4 WR and ignored our needs at RB and S in the 2nd round. We picked up an injured guy most well suited to play in the slot, when we already have a baller young slot WR, and an aging vet best suited to play the same, and Mayhew is managing the team well?

We needed to get better THIS YEAR. This year wasn't the year to "draft depth" we absolutely HAD to draft two starters in the first and second round for this team to improve and become what it needs to be, and we failed, hard core. We could have made up for that in free agency, but Mayhew sat on his thumb and dicked the dog with Cliff Avril all off-season instead of pulling the trigger on what should have been recognized as an unwinable situation.

Have fun settling for mediocrity, because that's what you guys are doing. You guys are so thankful that we're out of the basement, you just want a minute to rejoice and talk about the few things that are going right with this team, and you're ignoring faults and flaws with the team, the staff, and the personnel. Have at it... Live in your dream world of lolipops, unicorns, pinky skies and rainbows... And keep wondering why we're perpetually the bride's maids but never the bride.


September 10th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2218
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You guys are joke. We come out flat, unprepared, and get out coached in every way by a far inferior team, yet I'm crazy for stating the Schwartz may not be the guy to take us to the promise land?

Meanwhile, Harbaugh comes out like a man possessed and whoops GB, Michael Bush rushes for 3.5 ypc and picks up 2 touchdowns with tough goal-line carries, and Tracy Porter has a near flawless game, blanketing Mike Wallace, often times with single coverage, has at least 3 PDs, and picks a ball off for a touchdown. Yea, we definitely don't need that kind of garbage on our team.

There is no room for Michael Bush in our backfield because he's too big and doesn't fit the "role" that we drafted Best for (which is another complete phucking joke, because we drafted Best to be our every down back), and yea, it looks really responsible to ride out this broken experiment with Javid Best... :roll:

Tracy Porter would be our #1 CB, BY FAR. He's nearly 6', fast, can jam guys at the line, he's a sure tackler, and he has good hands and great cover skills. Totally not worth the $4 mill he's getting... You guys are right, this team is better off with Cliff and a LOAD of talent behind him, than a true #1 CB.

On top of that, the only reason it is no longer profitable to cut Nate is because he re-negotiated his contract to shift $3.175 million into a guaranteed bonus. We COULD have saved over $2.5 million by cutting him earlier in the year. We COULD have signed Manningham for what we would have saved by cutting Nate. Manningham is by all accounts a great guy and a team player, so don't give me that "Nate is a good guy" nonsense. He's over paid and he's hurting the team. And before you go congratulating him for re-negotiating his contract, he didn't lose one dollar. He didn't take ONE DOLLAR less, he just got MORE NOW, and now it will cost us more (or save us less, depending on how you want to look at it) to cut him next offseason, which means he'll probably be a Lion in 2013 with a base salary of $4.5 million and a signing bonus proration of $2 million and some change. That is, he will be over 30 and over paid yet again next season. Your beloved GM just phucked up again, IMO.

And someone wants to come out and state that it wouldn't save us anything to cut Corey Williams? Uhmmm, wrong... It would have saved us $4.3 million to cut him in the beginning of the season. That is, it would have saved us enough to sign our #1 CB at the beginning of the season, yet we held onto a guy that's our 3rd or 4th DT, in a LOADED DT corps, when we have a severe lack of talent at CB. And Mayhew is "managing" this team well?

We drafted a #4 WR and ignored our needs at RB and S in the 2nd round. We picked up an injured guy most well suited to play in the slot, when we already have a baller young slot WR, and an aging vet best suited to play the same, and Mayhew is managing the team well?

We needed to get better THIS YEAR. This year wasn't the year to "draft depth" we absolutely HAD to draft two starters in the first and second round for this team to improve and become what it needs to be, and we failed, hard core. We could have made up for that in free agency, but Mayhew sat on his thumb and dicked the dog with Cliff Avril all off-season instead of pulling the trigger on what should have been recognized as an unwinable situation.

Have fun settling for mediocrity, because that's what you guys are doing. You guys are so thankful that we're out of the basement, you just want a minute to rejoice and talk about the few things that are going right with this team, and you're ignoring faults and flaws with the team, the staff, and the personnel. Have at it... Live in your dream world of lolipops, unicorns, pinky skies and rainbows... And keep wondering why we're perpetually the bride's maids but never the bride.


1-0.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 10th, 2012, 12:24 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2713
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You guys are joke. We come out flat, unprepared, and get out coached in every way by a far inferior team, yet I'm crazy for stating the Schwartz may not be the guy to take us to the promise land?

Meanwhile, Harbaugh comes out like a man possessed and whoops GB, Michael Bush rushes for 3.5 ypc and picks up 2 touchdowns with tough goal-line carries, and Tracy Porter has a near flawless game, blanketing Mike Wallace, often times with single coverage, has at least 3 PDs, and picks a ball off for a touchdown. Yea, we definitely don't need that kind of garbage on our team.

There is no room for Michael Bush in our backfield because he's too big and doesn't fit the "role" that we drafted Best for (which is another complete phucking joke, because we drafted Best to be our every down back), and yea, it looks really responsible to ride out this broken experiment with Javid Best... :roll:

Tracy Porter would be our #1 CB, BY FAR. He's nearly 6', fast, can jam guys at the line, he's a sure tackler, and he has good hands and great cover skills. Totally not worth the $4 mill he's getting... You guys are right, this team is better off with Cliff and a LOAD of talent behind him, than a true #1 CB.

On top of that, the only reason it is no longer profitable to cut Nate is because he re-negotiated his contract to shift $3.175 million into a guaranteed bonus. We COULD have saved over $2.5 million by cutting him earlier in the year. We COULD have signed Manningham for what we would have saved by cutting Nate. Manningham is by all accounts a great guy and a team player, so don't give me that "Nate is a good guy" nonsense. He's over paid and he's hurting the team. And before you go congratulating him for re-negotiating his contract, he didn't lose one dollar. He didn't take ONE DOLLAR less, he just got MORE NOW, and now it will cost us more (or save us less, depending on how you want to look at it) to cut him next offseason, which means he'll probably be a Lion in 2013 with a base salary of $4.5 million and a signing bonus proration of $2 million and some change. That is, he will be over 30 and over paid yet again next season. Your beloved GM just phucked up again, IMO.

And someone wants to come out and state that it wouldn't save us anything to cut Corey Williams? Uhmmm, wrong... It would have saved us $4.3 million to cut him in the beginning of the season. That is, it would have saved us enough to sign our #1 CB at the beginning of the season, yet we held onto a guy that's our 3rd or 4th DT, in a LOADED DT corps, when we have a severe lack of talent at CB. And Mayhew is "managing" this team well?

We drafted a #4 WR and ignored our needs at RB and S in the 2nd round. We picked up an injured guy most well suited to play in the slot, when we already have a baller young slot WR, and an aging vet best suited to play the same, and Mayhew is managing the team well?

We needed to get better THIS YEAR. This year wasn't the year to "draft depth" we absolutely HAD to draft two starters in the first and second round for this team to improve and become what it needs to be, and we failed, hard core. We could have made up for that in free agency, but Mayhew sat on his thumb and dicked the dog with Cliff Avril all off-season instead of pulling the trigger on what should have been recognized as an unwinable situation.

Have fun settling for mediocrity, because that's what you guys are doing. You guys are so thankful that we're out of the basement, you just want a minute to rejoice and talk about the few things that are going right with this team, and you're ignoring faults and flaws with the team, the staff, and the personnel. Have at it... Live in your dream world of lolipops, unicorns, pinky skies and rainbows... And keep wondering why we're perpetually the bride's maids but never the bride.


Did you watch that game last night? Tracy Porter was getting abused most of the game. He just had a great 4th quarter to make up for it and suddenly everyone forgets. I watched the media and fans belittle him all game and then suddenly praise him. Had they lost, he would have been called out for it. I just find it ironic how you praise him for the same thing you get mad at the fans on this forum for -- only pointing out the good.

Bush had 3.5ypc and 2 TDs compared to Smith's 4.6ypc and 2 TDs... Joique got the 1ypc on the tough TD run. Just showing that the stats didn't make your argument.

No one's settling for mediocrity. You've let your anger at the things they've done differently than you would have liked them to do and only harp on that over and over. You never speak out on anything positive. You find the bad in everything they do, except when it's done your way. Why? I agree that this team still has work to do, but so does every team in the league. No team is complete. I see the weaknesses in SF, we all saw the weaknesses of GB... but most of your posts lately have been to the fact that this team is a complete disaster. If that's how you see it, fine, but getting mad at others because they see things a little more positively makes you look bitter. Did the Lion's ruin your birthday as a child?


September 10th, 2012, 12:38 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
Welcome, everyone, to "overreaction Monday."

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


September 10th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 862
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You guys are joke. We come out flat, unprepared, and get out coached in every way by a far inferior team, yet I'm crazy for stating the Schwartz may not be the guy to take us to the promise land?

Meanwhile, Harbaugh comes out like a man possessed and whoops GB, Michael Bush rushes for 3.5 ypc and picks up 2 touchdowns with tough goal-line carries, and Tracy Porter has a near flawless game, blanketing Mike Wallace, often times with single coverage, has at least 3 PDs, and picks a ball off for a touchdown. Yea, we definitely don't need that kind of garbage on our team.

There is no room for Michael Bush in our backfield because he's too big and doesn't fit the "role" that we drafted Best for (which is another complete phucking joke, because we drafted Best to be our every down back), and yea, it looks really responsible to ride out this broken experiment with Javid Best... :roll:

Tracy Porter would be our #1 CB, BY FAR. He's nearly 6', fast, can jam guys at the line, he's a sure tackler, and he has good hands and great cover skills. Totally not worth the $4 mill he's getting... You guys are right, this team is better off with Cliff and a LOAD of talent behind him, than a true #1 CB.

On top of that, the only reason it is no longer profitable to cut Nate is because he re-negotiated his contract to shift $3.175 million into a guaranteed bonus. We COULD have saved over $2.5 million by cutting him earlier in the year. We COULD have signed Manningham for what we would have saved by cutting Nate. Manningham is by all accounts a great guy and a team player, so don't give me that "Nate is a good guy" nonsense. He's over paid and he's hurting the team. And before you go congratulating him for re-negotiating his contract, he didn't lose one dollar. He didn't take ONE DOLLAR less, he just got MORE NOW, and now it will cost us more (or save us less, depending on how you want to look at it) to cut him next offseason, which means he'll probably be a Lion in 2013 with a base salary of $4.5 million and a signing bonus proration of $2 million and some change. That is, he will be over 30 and over paid yet again next season. Your beloved GM just phucked up again, IMO.

And someone wants to come out and state that it wouldn't save us anything to cut Corey Williams? Uhmmm, wrong... It would have saved us $4.3 million to cut him in the beginning of the season. That is, it would have saved us enough to sign our #1 CB at the beginning of the season, yet we held onto a guy that's our 3rd or 4th DT, in a LOADED DT corps, when we have a severe lack of talent at CB. And Mayhew is "managing" this team well?

We drafted a #4 WR and ignored our needs at RB and S in the 2nd round. We picked up an injured guy most well suited to play in the slot, when we already have a baller young slot WR, and an aging vet best suited to play the same, and Mayhew is managing the team well?

We needed to get better THIS YEAR. This year wasn't the year to "draft depth" we absolutely HAD to draft two starters in the first and second round for this team to improve and become what it needs to be, and we failed, hard core. We could have made up for that in free agency, but Mayhew sat on his thumb and dicked the dog with Cliff Avril all off-season instead of pulling the trigger on what should have been recognized as an unwinable situation.

Have fun settling for mediocrity, because that's what you guys are doing. You guys are so thankful that we're out of the basement, you just want a minute to rejoice and talk about the few things that are going right with this team, and you're ignoring faults and flaws with the team, the staff, and the personnel. Have at it... Live in your dream world of lolipops, unicorns, pinky skies and rainbows... And keep wondering why we're perpetually the bride's maids but never the bride.


Yeah, you realize we are all fans on this site, and not the GM and coaches, right?

If the GM and coaches are satisfied and don't move forward, they're wrong. However, you act as if it's a crime for we, as fans, to celebrate and discuss a win.


September 10th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3634
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You guys are joke. We come out flat, unprepared, and get out coached in every way by a far inferior team, yet I'm crazy for stating the Schwartz may not be the guy to take us to the promise land?

Meanwhile, Harbaugh comes out like a man possessed and whoops GB, Michael Bush rushes for 3.5 ypc and picks up 2 touchdowns with tough goal-line carries, and Tracy Porter has a near flawless game, blanketing Mike Wallace, often times with single coverage, has at least 3 PDs, and picks a ball off for a touchdown. Yea, we definitely don't need that kind of garbage on our team.

There is no room for Michael Bush in our backfield because he's too big and doesn't fit the "role" that we drafted Best for (which is another complete phucking joke, because we drafted Best to be our every down back), and yea, it looks really responsible to ride out this broken experiment with Javid Best... :roll:

Tracy Porter would be our #1 CB, BY FAR. He's nearly 6', fast, can jam guys at the line, he's a sure tackler, and he has good hands and great cover skills. Totally not worth the $4 mill he's getting... You guys are right, this team is better off with Cliff and a LOAD of talent behind him, than a true #1 CB.

On top of that, the only reason it is no longer profitable to cut Nate is because he re-negotiated his contract to shift $3.175 million into a guaranteed bonus. We COULD have saved over $2.5 million by cutting him earlier in the year. We COULD have signed Manningham for what we would have saved by cutting Nate. Manningham is by all accounts a great guy and a team player, so don't give me that "Nate is a good guy" nonsense. He's over paid and he's hurting the team. And before you go congratulating him for re-negotiating his contract, he didn't lose one dollar. He didn't take ONE DOLLAR less, he just got MORE NOW, and now it will cost us more (or save us less, depending on how you want to look at it) to cut him next offseason, which means he'll probably be a Lion in 2013 with a base salary of $4.5 million and a signing bonus proration of $2 million and some change. That is, he will be over 30 and over paid yet again next season. Your beloved GM just phucked up again, IMO.

And someone wants to come out and state that it wouldn't save us anything to cut Corey Williams? Uhmmm, wrong... It would have saved us $4.3 million to cut him in the beginning of the season. That is, it would have saved us enough to sign our #1 CB at the beginning of the season, yet we held onto a guy that's our 3rd or 4th DT, in a LOADED DT corps, when we have a severe lack of talent at CB. And Mayhew is "managing" this team well?

We drafted a #4 WR and ignored our needs at RB and S in the 2nd round. We picked up an injured guy most well suited to play in the slot, when we already have a baller young slot WR, and an aging vet best suited to play the same, and Mayhew is managing the team well?

We needed to get better THIS YEAR. This year wasn't the year to "draft depth" we absolutely HAD to draft two starters in the first and second round for this team to improve and become what it needs to be, and we failed, hard core. We could have made up for that in free agency, but Mayhew sat on his thumb and dicked the dog with Cliff Avril all off-season instead of pulling the trigger on what should have been recognized as an unwinable situation.

Have fun settling for mediocrity, because that's what you guys are doing. You guys are so thankful that we're out of the basement, you just want a minute to rejoice and talk about the few things that are going right with this team, and you're ignoring faults and flaws with the team, the staff, and the personnel. Have at it... Live in your dream world of lolipops, unicorns, pinky skies and rainbows... And keep wondering why we're perpetually the bride's maids but never the bride.



If by the bolded part you mean "Enjoy the Win".....I think I will thank ya! I've spent far too many years watching em lose games they should have won (since long before millen or Wayne-O) to not sit back and enjoy a win.


September 10th, 2012, 1:48 pm
Profile
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
regularjoe12 wrote:
If by the bolded part you mean "Enjoy the Win".....I think I will thank ya! I've spent far too many years watching em lose games they should have won (since long before millen or Wayne-O) to not sit back and enjoy a win.


What's wrong with enjoying the win, but doing so with a bit of caution and looking at the job that Schwartz and Mayhew have done so far this year?


September 10th, 2012, 2:24 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 641
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You guys are joke. We come out flat, unprepared, and get out coached in every way by a far inferior team, yet I'm crazy for stating the Schwartz may not be the guy to take us to the promise land?

Meanwhile, Harbaugh comes out like a man possessed and whoops GB, Michael Bush rushes for 3.5 ypc and picks up 2 touchdowns with tough goal-line carries, and Tracy Porter has a near flawless game, blanketing Mike Wallace, often times with single coverage, has at least 3 PDs, and picks a ball off for a touchdown. Yea, we definitely don't need that kind of garbage on our team.

There is no room for Michael Bush in our backfield because he's too big and doesn't fit the "role" that we drafted Best for (which is another complete phucking joke, because we drafted Best to be our every down back), and yea, it looks really responsible to ride out this broken experiment with Javid Best... :roll:

Tracy Porter would be our #1 CB, BY FAR. He's nearly 6', fast, can jam guys at the line, he's a sure tackler, and he has good hands and great cover skills. Totally not worth the $4 mill he's getting... You guys are right, this team is better off with Cliff and a LOAD of talent behind him, than a true #1 CB.

On top of that, the only reason it is no longer profitable to cut Nate is because he re-negotiated his contract to shift $3.175 million into a guaranteed bonus. We COULD have saved over $2.5 million by cutting him earlier in the year. We COULD have signed Manningham for what we would have saved by cutting Nate. Manningham is by all accounts a great guy and a team player, so don't give me that "Nate is a good guy" nonsense. He's over paid and he's hurting the team. And before you go congratulating him for re-negotiating his contract, he didn't lose one dollar. He didn't take ONE DOLLAR less, he just got MORE NOW, and now it will cost us more (or save us less, depending on how you want to look at it) to cut him next offseason, which means he'll probably be a Lion in 2013 with a base salary of $4.5 million and a signing bonus proration of $2 million and some change. That is, he will be over 30 and over paid yet again next season. Your beloved GM just phucked up again, IMO.

And someone wants to come out and state that it wouldn't save us anything to cut Corey Williams? Uhmmm, wrong... It would have saved us $4.3 million to cut him in the beginning of the season. That is, it would have saved us enough to sign our #1 CB at the beginning of the season, yet we held onto a guy that's our 3rd or 4th DT, in a LOADED DT corps, when we have a severe lack of talent at CB. And Mayhew is "managing" this team well?

We drafted a #4 WR and ignored our needs at RB and S in the 2nd round. We picked up an injured guy most well suited to play in the slot, when we already have a baller young slot WR, and an aging vet best suited to play the same, and Mayhew is managing the team well?

We needed to get better THIS YEAR. This year wasn't the year to "draft depth" we absolutely HAD to draft two starters in the first and second round for this team to improve and become what it needs to be, and we failed, hard core. We could have made up for that in free agency, but Mayhew sat on his thumb and dicked the dog with Cliff Avril all off-season instead of pulling the trigger on what should have been recognized as an unwinable situation.

Have fun settling for mediocrity, because that's what you guys are doing. You guys are so thankful that we're out of the basement, you just want a minute to rejoice and talk about the few things that are going right with this team, and you're ignoring faults and flaws with the team, the staff, and the personnel. Have at it... Live in your dream world of lolipops, unicorns, pinky skies and rainbows... And keep wondering why we're perpetually the bride's maids but never the bride.


I often see posts bashing the team like this from you, but this is NOT a time to be doing that. We just played a Rams team with a great defensive gameplan that nearly caused an upset. Staff threw 2 red zone picks very early, so that alone should've been 14 points for us. Then later, threw a pick 6. He had a nightmare of a first half, but what kept us in the game was the defense, which you probably give no credit to. Yes, it was against a weak Rams offense, but it shut down an entire game plan around S-Jax outside of a 1 or 2 good plays. As I said, Stafford threw 3 first picks. 1 was a pick 6, but 2 weren't. What did the defense do on those 2 drives after Stafford got picked? They held the Rams to 3 points (and that was on a drive starting on our 42 yd line). We held Bradford to 1 TD pass, and that was on Jonte Green who shouldn't have even seen the field much. We did all of this WITHOUT Delmas, Houston, and Bentley missed some time. We would've held them under 200 total yards if our full defense played. Please tell me, what team would you trust to come back and play that type of defense without their best CB and safety. This is a damn good football team. Let every phucking analyst on earth label us underdogs against SF, you know it's going to happen. All I know is we're going to give them a war, and IMO Schwartz will get the last laugh.

_________________
Image


September 10th, 2012, 2:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.