HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16056
Page 5 of 6

Author:  njroar [ September 14th, 2012, 11:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

modninerfan wrote:
If both end up missing the game I would be very concerned if I were you. Your secondary is one of those groups I would describe as a weakness. I was watching NFL network and they were showing replays of all of the missed opportunities Sam Bradford had. Despite what many of you think Alex Smith is much better than that he won't miss those opportunities. This should also help our run game, your team will have to compensate for the pass and this should open up holes for Gore. Now it really is all coming down to your front four. This should be fun!


I saw that too, but they showed the receivers that were breaking open, but failed to see that Bradford was passing to other receivers because he couldn't get through his progression due to pressure. It was the same thing that happened with GB against you. Rodgers couldn't go deep because you made him pass sooner. That's how the pass rush helps the secondary.

And the lions won't be dropping more in coverage. Last year the secondary was solid until injuries. Because when Houston or Delmas went out, we were left with Amari Spievey, Don Carey, Brandon McDonald, Aaron Berry, and Alphonso Smith. Now the starting combo of Wendling and Coleman is better than Delmas/Spievey ever was, and Drayton Florence, Jacob Lacey, and Kevin Barnes will slide in. Green is the only risk out there. That's a huge difference in the dropoff of talent compared to last year. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

Author:  LionsAllDay [ September 15th, 2012, 12:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

modninerfan wrote:
If both end up missing the game I would be very concerned if I were you. Your secondary is one of those groups I would describe as a weakness. I was watching NFL network and they were showing replays of all of the missed opportunities Sam Bradford had. Despite what many of you think Alex Smith is much better than that he won't miss those opportunities. This should also help our run game, your team will have to compensate for the pass and this should open up holes for Gore. Now it really is all coming down to your front four. This should be fun!


Delmas missing it is NBD. We can do without him. But now that Bentley went down, not having Houston would be TERRIBLE. I'm talking Kevin Barnes/Jonte Green as the nickel CB terrible.

Author:  modninerfan [ September 15th, 2012, 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

njroar wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
If both end up missing the game I would be very concerned if I were you. Your secondary is one of those groups I would describe as a weakness. I was watching NFL network and they were showing replays of all of the missed opportunities Sam Bradford had. Despite what many of you think Alex Smith is much better than that he won't miss those opportunities. This should also help our run game, your team will have to compensate for the pass and this should open up holes for Gore. Now it really is all coming down to your front four. This should be fun!


I saw that too, but they showed the receivers that were breaking open, but failed to see that Bradford was passing to other receivers because he couldn't get through his progression due to pressure. It was the same thing that happened with GB against you. Rodgers couldn't go deep because you made him pass sooner. That's how the pass rush helps the secondary.

And the lions won't be dropping more in coverage. Last year the secondary was solid until injuries. Because when Houston or Delmas went out, we were left with Amari Spievey, Don Carey, Brandon McDonald, Aaron Berry, and Alphonso Smith. Now the starting combo of Wendling and Coleman is better than Delmas/Spievey ever was, and Drayton Florence, Jacob Lacey, and Kevin Barnes will slide in. Green is the only risk out there. That's a huge difference in the dropoff of talent compared to last year. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.


Image

Author:  yostevo [ September 15th, 2012, 5:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

49ers wrote:
yostevo wrote:
I think one thing being overlooked is the fact that the Niners just had a big time matchup week one against the Pack. It's really tough to match the same kind of energy, effort and intensity in back to back weeks of a long NFL season.

This isn't a bad thought, but if you look at all the big wins the 49ers had last year, they were followed up by even bigger wins.

-- We beat Philly, then followed that up with a 48-3 whooping of the Bucs.

-- We beat the Lions, then man-handled the Browns 20-10 (score was MUCH farther apart than it sounds, they got a garbage TD late).

-- We beat the Giants, then crushed the cardinals 23-7 (it was 23-0, they too scored a garbage TD).

-- Then we beat the Saints in the playoffs for one of the most emotional victories this franchise has ever been through, and lost in OT to the Super Bowl winning Giants... thanks to 2 crucial turnovers by Kyle Williams (I forgive and love the dude).

All because Harbaugh and his staff keeps this team focused. I had the TV on but not paying attention. One 49er said, after the Packer win, that the win "wasn't a big deal, we're 1-0, like 15 other teams. It's a long season." Last year, that win would have been HUGE for us.... this year it was just another game. I'm not afraid of a letdown.


The teams SF played after big wins weren't exactly playoff caliber teams in 2011. This is a whole different animal when you play back to back NFC contenders to start the season.

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ September 16th, 2012, 12:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

49ers wrote:
yostevo wrote:
I think one thing being overlooked is the fact that the Niners just had a big time matchup week one against the Pack. It's really tough to match the same kind of energy, effort and intensity in back to back weeks of a long NFL season.

This isn't a bad thought, but if you look at all the big wins the 49ers had last year, they were followed up by even bigger wins.

-- We beat Philly, then followed that up with a 48-3 whooping of the Bucs.

-- We beat the Lions, then man-handled the Browns 20-10 (score was MUCH farther apart than it sounds, they got a garbage TD late).

-- We beat the Giants, then crushed the cardinals 23-7 (it was 23-0, they too scored a garbage TD).

-- Then we beat the Saints in the playoffs for one of the most emotional victories this franchise has ever been through, and lost in OT to the Super Bowl winning Giants... thanks to 2 crucial turnovers by Kyle Williams (I forgive and love the dude).

All because Harbaugh and his staff keeps this team focused. I had the TV on but not paying attention. One 49er said, after the Packer win, that the win "wasn't a big deal, we're 1-0, like 15 other teams. It's a long season." Last year, that win would have been HUGE for us.... this year it was just another game. I'm not afraid of a letdown.


Bucs finished 4-12
Browns finished 4-12
Cards finished 8-8

So like everyone said, the follow up games weren't as BIG as what you made them sound. Sorry but this is different.. way different.

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ September 16th, 2012, 12:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

49ers wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I still think it is. The Packers looked pathetic against the 49ers, but they looked damn good against the Bears, especially the defense. The Packers were without Greg Jennings, so the passing game suffered some, but it was still efficient enough.

They dominated a confident Bears team, and it was never even close. That's only 4 days removed from their last game. Pretty impressive to me.


Bears are starting to realize that they aren't as good as what they thought they were..

Author:  Killwill25 [ September 16th, 2012, 2:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

HUGE game for Stafford.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ September 16th, 2012, 9:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

I don't make predictions about Lions games (bad luck), but I will say that I feel more confident in our ability to establish a decent running game with Kevin Smith in there. Best is explosive, but not reliable as an every down back.

Author:  49ers [ September 16th, 2012, 10:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

Lions2SB2 wrote:
49ers wrote:
yostevo wrote:
I think one thing being overlooked is the fact that the Niners just had a big time matchup week one against the Pack. It's really tough to match the same kind of energy, effort and intensity in back to back weeks of a long NFL season.

This isn't a bad thought, but if you look at all the big wins the 49ers had last year, they were followed up by even bigger wins.

-- We beat Philly, then followed that up with a 48-3 whooping of the Bucs.

-- We beat the Lions, then man-handled the Browns 20-10 (score was MUCH farther apart than it sounds, they got a garbage TD late).

-- We beat the Giants, then crushed the cardinals 23-7 (it was 23-0, they too scored a garbage TD).

-- Then we beat the Saints in the playoffs for one of the most emotional victories this franchise has ever been through, and lost in OT to the Super Bowl winning Giants... thanks to 2 crucial turnovers by Kyle Williams (I forgive and love the dude).

All because Harbaugh and his staff keeps this team focused. I had the TV on but not paying attention. One 49er said, after the Packer win, that the win "wasn't a big deal, we're 1-0, like 15 other teams. It's a long season." Last year, that win would have been HUGE for us.... this year it was just another game. I'm not afraid of a letdown.


Bucs finished 4-12
Browns finished 4-12
Cards finished 8-8

So like everyone said, the follow up games weren't as BIG as what you made them sound. Sorry but this is different.. way different.

He said matching energy, effort, and intensity. Those games did just that. I'm not here to nit-pick what counts and what doesn't simply because of the teams they played.

The Saints KILLED the Colts 62-7 last year, remember that? Then they got pounded by the Rams the following week. That game wasn't even close. Last year, week 1, I remember watching the Ravens KILLING the Steelers, a game that everyone thought would be close. The following week, they lost to the lowly Titans. The Ravens followed that up later in the year with another HUGE win... followed with another big loss to the sucky Seahawks.

I could get plenty of these examples. It's all about keeping focus and energy from week to week. I showed that we can do that, and other teams can't. I have no idea how some of you Lions fans can agree AND disagree with the same point at the same time.

Author:  devildog [ September 16th, 2012, 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

When was it, 1975 the last time we won in Candlestick? I don't think the Lions are any better this year, and I think the 49ers are better. I hope I am wrong.

Author:  fekko2 [ September 16th, 2012, 12:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

Lions2SB2 wrote:
49ers wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I still think it is. The Packers looked pathetic against the 49ers, but they looked damn good against the Bears, especially the defense. The Packers were without Greg Jennings, so the passing game suffered some, but it was still efficient enough.

They dominated a confident Bears team, and it was never even close. That's only 4 days removed from their last game. Pretty impressive to me.


Bears are starting to realize that they aren't as good as what they thought they were..


They are who we thought they were! lol Seriously, I've been saying "over rated" all preseason. The media has just hyped them to no end. I thought 8-8 team all along and still do.

As far as the game, I'm more concerned now with the additional injuries to the secondary. A lot will have to go right for the Lions to win this one I think. Some guys stepping up in the backfield and probably a couple of turnovers falling our way too. I don't see this as high scoring at all. Probably something like 23-17 San Francisco.

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ September 16th, 2012, 12:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

fekko2 wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
49ers wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I still think it is. The Packers looked pathetic against the 49ers, but they looked damn good against the Bears, especially the defense. The Packers were without Greg Jennings, so the passing game suffered some, but it was still efficient enough.

They dominated a confident Bears team, and it was never even close. That's only 4 days removed from their last game. Pretty impressive to me.


Bears are starting to realize that they aren't as good as what they thought they were..


They are who we thought they were! lol Seriously, I've been saying "over rated" all preseason. The media has just hyped them to no end. I thought 8-8 team all along and still do.

As far as the game, I'm more concerned now with the additional injuries to the secondary. A lot will have to go right for the Lions to win this one I think. Some guys stepping up in the backfield and probably a couple of turnovers falling our way too. I don't see this as high scoring at all. Probably something like 23-17 San Francisco.


Need a fast start and where the GDT thread?

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ September 17th, 2012, 1:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

wjb21ndtown wrote:
31 - 24 Niners


Guess I was off by about 4 points per side...

Author:  Pablo [ September 17th, 2012, 2:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

Think I've got ya beat!

Pablo wrote:
San Fran 24
Detroit 17

Sorry, just don't see the Lions traveling to the West Coast and winning a late Sunday night game in the 49ers home opener.

Hope I'm wrong.

Author:  modninerfan [ September 17th, 2012, 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions

Shotty wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
If both end up missing the game I would be very concerned if I were you. Your secondary is one of those groups I would describe as a weakness. I was watching NFL network and they were showing replays of all of the missed opportunities Sam Bradford had. Despite what many of you think Alex Smith is much better than that he won't miss those opportunities. This should also help our run game, your team will have to compensate for the pass and this should open up holes for Gore. Now it really is all coming down to your front four. This should be fun!


Delmas missing it is NBD. We can do without him. But now that Bentley went down, not having Houston would be TERRIBLE. I'm talking Kevin Barnes/Jonte Green as the nickel CB terrible.


I think it ended up being key in this matchup

Page 5 of 6 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/