View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 4:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Trying to fix run game 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Trying to fix run game
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/9/17 ... ns-workout

Quote:
The Detroit Lions' running back situation continues to get more and more interesting. Running back Mikel Leshoure is due back from a suspension this week, meaning the Lions will have to release somebody to make room for him on their 53-man roster. It's assumed that a running back currently on the roster will be let go, although that's just speculation for now.

It's also possible that the Lions could make more than one change at running back this week. On Saturday night, it was reported that free-agent running back Steve Slaton is scheduled to work out with the Lions on Tuesday. Now, it's being reported that free-agent running back Ryan Grant will also be brought in for a workout.

This is not the first time the Lions have been connected to Grant. Back in May, Grant's agent claimed that the Lions had offered Grant a deal and were planning to host him for a visit. That didn't end up happening, though, and one report claimed the lack of a visit was over the money the Lions were offering. A separate report claimed a visit was never scheduled in the first place, and that was really the last we heard about Grant and the Lions until now.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 18th, 2012, 11:27 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Trying to fix run game
The Lions can bring in whatever washed up running back they want, it won't fix the run game. It's about the offensive line and the play calling more than the guy with the ball in his hands. The Lions running game, thus far, hasn't been a complete cluster****. In both games the Lions were playing from behind, so what we haven't seen is whether the team can run the ball effectively when it counts...late in the game with a lead. If they can do that effectively, then we'll know we have a running game to hang our hats on. Until then, we have something that's OK for the time.

Slaton and Grant don't bring anything to the table that Smith, Bell and Williams don't already bring. With LeShoure coming back, and the team keeping Logan as well, I am hoping Williams gets the axe and Bell sticks around, along with Smith and LeShoure.

And at this point, I don't even care if Best comes back or not. If he hasn't met the requirements at the end of the six weeks, the Lions should flat out release him.

September 18th, 2012, 12:20 pm
1st Round Pick

m2karateman wrote:
And at this point, I don't even care if Best comes back or not. If he hasn't met the requirements at the end of the six weeks, the Lions should flat out release him.

I just say get rid of him now. Wasted space is all he is being right now.

September 18th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Lions2SB2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

He's on PUP so it doesn't really matter right now. After week 6, either he'll come back or they'll be an injury settlement. I don't think they'll IR him--if he doesn't come back then, he ain't ever coming back.

September 18th, 2012, 1:22 pm
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

He's on PUP so it doesn't really matter right now. After week 6, either he'll come back or they'll be an injury settlement. I don't think they'll IR him--if he doesn't come back then, he ain't ever coming back.
IMO I'd IR him if he can't come back after week 6, then see what he does or doesn't have in the off season.

September 18th, 2012, 2:09 pm
1st Round Pick

TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

IMO I'd IR him if he can't come back after week 6, then see what he does or doesn't have in the off season.

I don't think it's worth it, the guy is more hurt then anything.

September 18th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

Is is maybe the case that the problems with Best & injuries are largely due to trying to make him an every-down back when he isn't physically equipped to handle it? As a 3rd down/ COP back, that *might* be a different story?

I think Leshoure will do well... but it is going to be hard, mentally, for the Lions to commit to the run. They need to, though.

September 18th, 2012, 7:45 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Lions can bring in whatever washed up running back they want, it won't fix the run game. It's about the offensive line and the play calling more than the guy with the ball in his hands.

This.

I have a hard time understanding why people dont get this.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 18th, 2012, 8:06 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
Is is maybe the case that the problems with Best & injuries are largely due to trying to make him an every-down back when he isn't physically equipped to handle it? As a 3rd down/ COP back, that *might* be a different story?

I think Leshoure will do well... but it is going to be hard, mentally, for the Lions to commit to the run. They need to, though.

With what the Lions are paying Best, they're better off releasing him than keeping him as a part time player. It doesn't do anybody any good if every time he has the ball in his hands you are cringing when he gets tackled, expecting him to not get up, or get up walking like a new born giraffe. Too high of a risk.

Best should have been strictly a COP back coming into the league. It's why he shouldn't have been a first round pick. He just doesn't have the ability to play between the tackles that well. And now with his concussion history, he's even more prone to getting them.

Time to say farewell. Even if the Lions decide to put him on IR for the season, they have to move on in the off-season. It's played out.

September 18th, 2012, 8:21 pm
League MVP

as long as he s willing to play Best is the only option we have that can make people miss. we will see about leshoure but best seems to be the only one who can makes something and is a homerun threat. the defense has to respect his ability when he s in. he makes staffords job a lot easier.

September 18th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Pro Bowl Player

With the concussion history I don't think Best should be ALLOWED to play football anymore. Get rid of him before he becomes part of the lawsuit.

He could come back, and play some good games, but he risking the rest of his life to do so, and he is a huge red light for the rest of the NFL. I want him back as much as anyone, but not to see the man go through it all over again.

I agree with M2k, It's run it's course.

September 19th, 2012, 12:35 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
as long as he s willing to play Best is the only option we have that can make people miss. we will see about leshoure but best seems to be the only one who can makes something and is a homerun threat. the defense has to respect his ability when he s in. he makes staffords job a lot easier.

I respect what you are saying, but I don't think we NEED a home run threat out of the backfield. Most teams don't have a pure speed back as their main ball carrier. The Lions running game needs to be efficient, not a long scoring threat. That's what we have CJ, Nate, Titus and Scheffler for. Our running game needs to be the kind where we can get the tough 3 or 4 yards, with the occasional 10+ yard run here and there. It needs to be such that we can rely on it late in the game with a small lead to grind down the clock and wear down the defense. If our offense only gets 80 or 90 yards rushing in a game, I'm OK with that. As long as those yards were important, such as third down and short conversions, or goal line scores. I think that is what hurts us most, our inability to gain yards on the ground when we need to, in those situations.

The problem is, our offensive line is not built to create push, or optimally create holes. Our running back has to be able to use whatever gaps open up and gain whatever yards they can out of it, without dancing around to look for more room. That's actually the part about Jahvid Best I liked most, was his vision. He could find lanes and get there quick enough to get some of those yards. But he just isn't that effective in traffic.

September 19th, 2012, 9:32 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I respect what you are saying, but I don't think we NEED a home run threat out of the backfield. Most teams don't have a pure speed back as their main ball carrier. The Lions running game needs to be efficient, not a long scoring threat. That's what we have CJ, Nate, Titus and Scheffler for. Our running game needs to be the kind where we can get the tough 3 or 4 yards, with the occasional 10+ yard run here and there. It needs to be such that we can rely on it late in the game with a small lead to grind down the clock and wear down the defense. If our offense only gets 80 or 90 yards rushing in a game, I'm OK with that. As long as those yards were important, such as third down and short conversions, or goal line scores. I think that is what hurts us most, our inability to gain yards on the ground when we need to, in those situations.

The problem is, our offensive line is not built to create push, or optimally create holes. Our running back has to be able to use whatever gaps open up and gain whatever yards they can out of it, without dancing around to look for more room. That's actually the part about Jahvid Best I liked most, was his vision. He could find lanes and get there quick enough to get some of those yards. But he just isn't that effective in traffic.

Agree. And to put it a different way, our running game needs to be like Green Bay's was against Chicago this past week. Run it just enough and play action works. See how open some of those guys were? They ran it just enough. Sure Rodgers numbers werent out of this world, but their offense as a whole was very efficient in that game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 19th, 2012, 9:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The O-line and play calling combo is a big problem and has been for a long time. With that said the RBs this past week had at least a half dozen plays where there was a pretty good hole open up and they either danced in the backfield or made the wrong read and missed the hole. The most disturbing part about the lack of a threat of the Lions moving the chain with the running game is teams don't have to cheat their Ss up and the LBs can either drop into coverage or come all out after Stafford. There also is no playaction passing game with the lack of a running game.

I think evenif LeShoure can come back healthy the Lions will need to look for another RB in the late 3rd round at the earliest. LeShoure is not just coming off a serious injury but he also has shown lack of good judgement. If he shows he's recovered from his knee injury come draft time I'm a big fan of Ray Graham. He's a perfect back torun behind the Lion's O-line. Grahamruns with the power of a RB 15 pounds heavier than him and has Barryesque vision to find holes and creases that most backs just can't see.

September 19th, 2012, 10:42 am
1st Round Pick

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 4e076980f0

Quote:
Best, who is eligible to come off the Physically Unable to Perform list as early as next Monday, told reporters Thursday that he took all the tests required for him to be cleared for contact by an independent neurologist on Monday and that he should know the results at some point this Friday.

"I'm just hopeful for the best for tomorrow," Best said. "It took hours. It felt like I was taking the SAT."

Best hasn't played since a Week 6 loss to the 49ers last season after suffering his second concussion of the season. He also suffered one in the preseason against the Browns last year.

If Best does get his long-sought-after clearance, he'd be able to play as early as the team's Monday night game Oct. 22 at Chicago.

The biggest question most people have had regarding Best is why it's taken so long when other players have gone through the concussion protocol and passed. Best said each case was unique, but declined to go into the specifics with his particular case and why it's taken so long to get clearance for contact.

With the new scrutiny across the NFL regarding concussions, Best knows there are many eyes on his case, though.

I guess I'm kind of the poster boy for it," he said. "I think its just timing. The situation I'm in now with the way the concussions are being taken right now is taking a long time and it's a long process right now. I have to take it how it is. Tomorrow, I find out what's the next step."

Best did say that nothing happened during Monday's tests that would indicate to him that he wasn't able to pass them.

The Lions could certainly use him on the field after a 1-3 start. His speed out of the backfield could be the best mismatch advantage Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan can exploit outside of receiver Calvin Johnson.

"You all have seen Jahvid when he's played and he's as explosive a player as I've been around," Linehan said. "We're excited about the prospect of him possibly coming back but we're also tempering that enthusiasm knowing that a lot of things have got to be done before that happens.

"I'm just excited for him that he's getting a chance to at least make his impact back on our team when he possibly does come back. But we'll see, it's just great having him in the building and around and knowing that he's doing the best he can to get back on the field."

Best says he's ready to contribute.

"I think I can help them a lot but we'll see when I get back out there," he said. "I know I can go out there and make a difference but whether or not that difference translates into whatever it translates into, we'll see."

"I feel like I'm in good shape. I've just been working out like an animal. I've got nothing else to do. As far as being in physical shape I'm ready to go."

More than anything, Best said he couldn't wait for the day when reporters are surrounding his locker to talk about football and not concussions.

"That'll be a good day and hopefully (it's) Monday night after the game."

October 11th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next