View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Random thoughts after week 4 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Your wasting your time Legend. Some people have just got it set in their mind that Avril is the spawn of Satan because he did what anybody else would do in his situation when they believe in themselves and believes they are worthy of more than what was offered. I can't blame a guy for trying to get as much as he can from a game that earns Hundreds of Billions of $$$$ each year and a players career can come to a halt on any given play.

Avril was playing well, but certainly was not in "beast mode" by any stretch. His 1.5 sacks Sunday were his first sacks of the season. And let's keep in mind, they came against one of the more mediocre right tackles in all of football (Phil Loadholt). I wouldn't start applauding him just yet.

And to keep it in perspective, and this pace he'll end up with 6 sacks on the season. Yeah...that's worth $10.6 million per season. In the meantime, Corey Williams, Ndamukong Suh and KVB all have more sacks on the season than him.

Avril is what we thought he is.....a good DE, but not nearly an elite DE.

Not to nitpick, but he got credited retroactively with a sack for the play at the end of the St. Louis game.

Well....not to nitpick, but both the Lions website and the NFL website have him shown at 1.5 sacks for the season, so I'll go by their numbers.

Either way, he's been largely unspectacular this season. And since his salary is accounting for nearly 1/12 our payroll, he certainly isn't earning his keep.

October 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Your wasting your time Legend. Some people have just got it set in their mind that Avril is the spawn of Satan because he did what anybody else would do in his situation when they believe in themselves and believes they are worthy of more than what was offered. I can't blame a guy for trying to get as much as he can from a game that earns Hundreds of Billions of $$$$ each year and a players career can come to a halt on any given play.

Avril was playing well, but certainly was not in "beast mode" by any stretch. His 1.5 sacks Sunday were his first sacks of the season. And let's keep in mind, they came against one of the more mediocre right tackles in all of football (Phil Loadholt). I wouldn't start applauding him just yet.

And to keep it in perspective, and this pace he'll end up with 6 sacks on the season. Yeah...that's worth $10.6 million per season. In the meantime, Corey Williams, Ndamukong Suh and KVB all have more sacks on the season than him.

Avril is what we thought he is.....a good DE, but not nearly an elite DE.

Not to nitpick, but he got credited retroactively with a sack for the play at the end of the St. Louis game.

Well....not to nitpick, but both the Lions website and the NFL website have him shown at 1.5 sacks for the season, so I'll go by their numbers.

Either way, he's been largely unspectacular this season. And since his salary is accounting for nearly 1/12 our payroll, he certainly isn't earning his keep.

Fire the entire D-line then! Not a single one of them have been outstanding yet this season. Suh accounts for about tenth of our salary cap. Should we get rid of him?

October 6th, 2012, 9:12 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Fire the entire D-line then! Not a single one of them have been outstanding yet this season. Suh accounts for about tenth of our salary cap. Should we get rid of him?

When Suh got 10 sacks his rookie year, what was the reaction? That he was the DROY and that he had a great career ahead of him. He is currently on pace to match those numbers.

Also, Suh is still on his rookie deal. Avril turned down the Lions offer, remember? He could have accepted a deal that would have averaged slightly less that what he's getting now, over three years and would have helped the team in their salary cap situation this year. But no, it wasn't enough for him. He is now getting paid the average salary of the top 5 DEs in the NFL.

Is he playing like it? No. And that's what this discussion is about. So stick to the subject matter Billy. You don't like the fact that Avril is getting called out? Tough sh!t. Any criticism he gets, he deserves. He was non-existant for three games, and only did something when facing an inferior right tackle. He's been outplayed by every other member of the defensive line.

October 6th, 2012, 10:50 am
Stadium Announcer

If Cliff doesnt produce like he did last year its not gonna hurt us. If he has monster year we probably wont get him back because hell want a Charles Johnson deal. If he has a mediocre year nobody is gonna pay him top de money so we can get him cheaper. Idk what his output for the year will be but either way I feel like he is a solid DE. I dont think hell be a 16 sack/yr guy but 8-12 and thats fine. I do hope we find a stud de very soon.

October 6th, 2012, 11:47 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

At 1.5 sacks through four games, Avril is AHEAD of his pace from last year. I'm not implying that's Avril is having a good year, but after four games last year he had only 1 sack.

October 6th, 2012, 8:30 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:

It was 1 in the Rams game and a .5 in the Vikes game. Either way, your point is well taken.

October 6th, 2012, 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3