HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16101
Page 1 of 4

Author:  CaptainBlue [ October 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/10/0 ... ice-field/

That's good news. Getting him back will really help our secondary.

Author:  inheritedlionsfan [ October 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

Hope he's ready to come back after the bye. Should be a big boost to the defense.

Author:  m2karateman [ October 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

CaptainBlue wrote:
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/10/03/lions-get-louis-delmas-back-on-the-practice-field/

That's good news. Getting him back will really help our secondary.


Yes, but for how long? I give an over/under of six games before he gets hurt and misses more time.

Author:  regularjoe12 [ October 3rd, 2012, 1:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

m2karateman wrote:
CaptainBlue wrote:
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/10/03/lions-get-louis-delmas-back-on-the-practice-field/

That's good news. Getting him back will really help our secondary.


Yes, but for how long? I give an over/under of six games before he gets hurt and misses more time.

Ill take you up on the under.I give him 4 games. :\

Author:  kdsberman [ October 3rd, 2012, 2:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

Not to be a downer here, but even though this is good news, he might want to be healthy for every game from now until the end of the year if he wants to stay a Lion.

Nice boost for the D though.

Author:  sweetd20 [ October 3rd, 2012, 2:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

If the Lions are serious about putting a consistant winning team on the field I can't see him being back next year. He will be looking to get paid (hasn't earned a big payday) and can't be counted on to make it on the field. Not to mention he's not a playmaker, Delmas has 2 FFs and 2 INTS with just 14 Pdef. To me that screams a player that is often out of position and/or late to make the read.

I don't care how pumped and jazzed up he is coming out of the tunnel or what sound bited he puts out there for the fans and media to eat up, at the end of the day he just hasn't shown enough on the field to get the love he gets from Lion fans. If he wasn't wearing a Lions' uniform there wouldn't be much call from the fan base to get him into Detroit as a FA. The bad part is the FA market is looking pretty weak in the DB department especially at S.

Author:  LionsAllDay [ October 3rd, 2012, 2:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

sweetd20 wrote:
If the Lions are serious about putting a consistant winning team on the field I can't see him being back next year. He will be looking to get paid (hasn't earned a big payday) and can't be counted on to make it on the field. Not to mention he's not a playmaker, Delmas has 2 FFs and 2 INTS with just 14 Pdef. To me that screams a player that is often out of position and/or late to make the read.

I don't care how pumped and jazzed up he is coming out of the tunnel or what sound bited he puts out there for the fans and media to eat up, at the end of the day he just hasn't shown enough on the field to get the love he gets from Lion fans. If he wasn't wearing a Lions' uniform there wouldn't be much call from the fan base to get him into Detroit as a FA. The bad part is the FA market is looking pretty weak in the DB department especially at S.


I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.

Author:  kdsberman [ October 3rd, 2012, 3:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

Shotty wrote:
but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.


Maybe.

And i know its a matter of opinion, but what has he done on the field besides his rookie season that makes you think he is top 10 material? Just curious.

I understand he may make the guys around him better, but sometimes he has to make plays himself, and THAT i just dont see too often.

Author:  sweetd20 [ October 3rd, 2012, 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

In no particular order I'd take Weddle, Byrd, Jenkins, Goldson, Reed, Landry, Clark, Manning, Griffin, Coleman, maybe even Chung and that's not counting guys that are playing SS that have FS skills.

Author:  TheRealWags [ October 3rd, 2012, 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.
Maybe.

And i know its a matter of opinion, but what has he done on the field besides his rookie season that makes you think he is top 10 material? Just curious.

I understand he may make the guys around him better, but sometimes he has to make plays himself, and THAT i just dont see too often.
Not too mention he actually has to be ON the field in order to make those around better

Author:  rao [ October 3rd, 2012, 3:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

If I were Mayhew I would let Delmas explore free agency and if the price is low I would look to try to keep him and if someone is dumb enough to offer big money I would just let him walk. He's not a Polumalu or even as good as Sanders was for the Colts, so there is no way to justify paying him on the chance he maybe stay healthy for a season. This is the same reason Washington let Landry go.

Author:  DayDreamer [ October 3rd, 2012, 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

That great news, maybe this is the shot in the arm the team needs.

On a related note, is Atogwe that injured? If he can even move around limping, I'd bring him in at a vet minimum. I'm sure he can't be much worse than what we have right now.

Author:  Killwill25 [ October 4th, 2012, 4:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

I love it. I hope Silva ends up as the SS.

Author:  m2karateman [ October 4th, 2012, 8:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

Shotty wrote:
I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.


He is a better player than the rest of the safeties on our roster, I'll give you that. But a top ten FS in the NFL?! Sorry, but no way is that true. Too many missed tackles, too often taking bad angles, too often going for the hit instead of the ball. Louis Delmas is playing out of position at FS. He's better suited, mentality wise, to play strong safety. However, his body isn't up to the task. He had a really impressive rookie season, but that's about it. Since then, he's been above average when he's on the field, but not even close to elite. And because of his time missed, his rank among free safeties in the NFL puts him somewhere in the mid to bottom third, in my opinion. He doesn't make enough plays, period. He's not a game changer. He's not a ball hawk.

With the limitations put on defensive players on hitting defenseless receivers and helmet to helmet contact, Delmas has to rely on something other than fear. And quite frankly, he's got nothing else in the toolbox. He's not fast enough and not polished enough to become a ball hawker. The Lions need to put him in there as a strong safety, supporting the run defense first, pass defense second. We NEED a safety who plays like a corner. We need someone like an Eric Berry.

Author:  DJ-B [ October 4th, 2012, 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited

m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.


He is a better player than the rest of the safeties on our roster, I'll give you that. But a top ten FS in the NFL?! Sorry, but no way is that true. Too many missed tackles, too often taking bad angles, too often going for the hit instead of the ball. Louis Delmas is playing out of position at FS. He's better suited, mentality wise, to play strong safety. However, his body isn't up to the task. He had a really impressive rookie season, but that's about it. Since then, he's been above average when he's on the field, but not even close to elite. And because of his time missed, his rank among free safeties in the NFL puts him somewhere in the mid to bottom third, in my opinion. He doesn't make enough plays, period. He's not a game changer. He's not a ball hawk.

With the limitations put on defensive players on hitting defenseless receivers and helmet to helmet contact, Delmas has to rely on something other than fear. And quite frankly, he's got nothing else in the toolbox. He's not fast enough and not polished enough to become a ball hawker. The Lions need to put him in there as a strong safety, supporting the run defense first, pass defense second. We NEED a safety who plays like a corner. We need someone like an Eric Berry.


Amen

Page 1 of 4 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/