View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Should the Lions consider Turley? 
RIP Killer

Post Should the Lions consider Turley?
Rams | Turley a Goner June 1? - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 22 May 2005 16:50:09 -0700

Jim Thomas, reports for the Sporting News, the St. Louis Rams are expected to part ways with OT Kyle Turley (back) after June 1. He's been struggling with a back injury that has put his career in jeopardy.

Should the Lions consider bringing Turley in for a medical examination? If it looks like he can be healthy, it would be a shrewd move. I am not completely sold on Butler or Kosier. Kyle may be willing to accept a one year deal that is incentive laden to prove his health.

Just a thought.....

May 23rd, 2005, 12:29 pm
Modmin Dude

I like the idea, Mike. I think that would be a good move, if the price is right!

May 23rd, 2005, 12:52 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I heard he has lost a lot weight. NFL radio said that he wanted to try defensive end.

May 23rd, 2005, 1:40 pm
Stadium Announcer

No , he has lost a lot of weight and wouldn't be an effective choice to play RT for the Lions.

May 23rd, 2005, 6:20 pm
QB Coach

We generally don't go after players like Turley, who are head cases, or malcontents. We've never drafted one, nor picked one up under the Millen/Mooch regime. I don't see it happening.

May 23rd, 2005, 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I'm not completely sold on Kosier either (even though he gets great reviews) and Butler hasn't played at all. So the RT position is definitely both a question mark and up for grabs.

As for Turley, I don't really know enough about his back to say anything for certain. But back injuries are a very tricky and come in two varieties. One that causes pain, slows you down and makes you less effective - the other could be so severe that it could potentially cripple you. When I read "He's been struggling with a back injury that has put his career in jeopardy," then I become very alarmed. He'll be 30 in Sep. and I would doubt that his back will feel much better than it apparently feels by the time the season starts.

As with every free agent it comes down to 3 things:

1) Ability - Can they still play?
2) Their frame of mind - Are they a locker room asset or liability?
3) Cost - How much is the cap number?

M2K, you asked the question - Should we bring Turley in for an exam and check him out? My answer is yes. Let's look at him. I think it's a mistake not to find out.

But given the salary cap issues and the money he's going to want along with the valid points Brian just made I'd be very surprised if he ends up a Lion.

May 23rd, 2005, 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]