View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Predictions for the Rest of the Season 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Predictions for the Rest of the Season
The Legend wrote:
Barkley >>>> Tannehil

Only as a college QB. Barkley is proving to be more than human this year at USC, and as such his stock his dipping. Remember, Jake Locker was considered to be THE QB after his junior season, and everyone had him going number one the following year. Instead, three QBs were taken ahead of him in the following draft.

Until he goes into the NFL and proves it, Barkley is NOT a better pro QB than Tannehill. Tannehill has helped turn Miami into a pretty good team. Can't say that about Barkely, at all.

October 29th, 2012, 4:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

A side note is USC is known for having great college QBs that turn out to be more propped up by the talent around them than anything else.

Their QBs rarely translate to the NFL well.

October 31st, 2012, 2:12 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I don't see us beating Seattle, Green Bay - ( either time), or Atlanta.

Before the season, I thought that this might just be one of those team slump years like a lot of teams have the year after they break out and have a great year, after having been a bad team for a long time.

Unfortunately, this is happening.
I don't see us winning more than 5 games at this point. We may lose more.
By the time we play the Colts, Andrew Luck could be getting his problems figured out and look at our Defensive secondary as the tonic that cures what ails the Colts. And we have the propensity to lose to the Bears anytime, anywhere.

That could leave us at 3 - 13. But, and here is the silver lining, at 3-13, we should end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick overall. We could be in the position to trade down with someone looking to move up for a QB. ( There are always 2 QB's at the top of the draft.) We don't need a QB. So, we might be able to get a Washington type deal. That would put us in fantastic position to be able to finish our rebuild in the 2013 draft. With all the picks we would get added to our own, we should definitely be able to get a 1st round CB, a 2nd round Safety, a 2nd round RB, and maybe trade back into the bottom of the 2nd round for a Center.

The Rams and Redskins swapped 1st rounders last draft. and the Rams also got the Redskins 2nd round pick and 2 future 1st round picks.

You have to remember that there's only one Redskins and they already gave up those picks. No other teams are going to give up that much.

No-one is going to give up Two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for a franchise QB? Because that is all the Redskins gave up in order to SWAP 1st round picks last year. They still got a 1st round pick last year. #2 overall. An upgrade over #6 overall. So, 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick is not a bad trade for a franchise QB. The Bears gave up a comparable price for Cutler. 2 first round picks, a 3rd round pick, and Kyle Orton.

They didn't do it to swap picks. They did it to ensure they got RG3. And there is no RG3 in this draft. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft. There may not even by a Ryan Tannehill in this draft. So far, the QB class of this draft is OK, nothing spectacular.

I think the Lions will will at least two more games. They will beat Jacksonville, and they should be able to edge out the Colts. However, if Stafford can somehow get his act together, the Lions could start beating some teams like the Bears, Seahawks and Cardinals. They could possibly even take one from the Pack. At this point, two things are obvious:

1. The Lions are not a playoff team this year.
2. Matthew Stafford is the source of most of their ills.

I'm not throwing Matt under the bus. But that's the reality of it. He's struggling, for whatever reasons, and somehow needs to get back into his 2011 groove.

Your missing the point. It does not matter if any QB in this draft is as good as a QB from a past draft. It doesn't matter if a QB is worthy of the #1 overall pick. I guarantee you right here and now, that there will be 2 QB's taken in the first 4 picks of the draft. And any team desperate for a franchise QB is a possible trade partner. Teams will take that chance for a franchise QB. As great as Luck and RG3 are purported to be, only time will tell if they pan out. Cam Newton looked fantastic last year. Not so much this year. It's a moot point anyway since the Lions are not likely to have a top 5 pick.

October 31st, 2012, 2:32 am
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
Your missing the point. It does not matter if any QB in this draft is as good as a QB from a past draft. It doesn't matter if a QB is worthy of the #1 overall pick. I guarantee you right here and now, that there will be 2 QB's taken in the first 4 picks of the draft. And any team desperate for a franchise QB is a possible trade partner. Teams will take that chance for a franchise QB. As great as Luck and RG3 are purported to be, only time will tell if they pan out. Cam Newton looked fantastic last year. Not so much this year. It's a moot point anyway since the Lions are not likely to have a top 5 pick.

I think you may be the one who isn't getting the point. Or at least you don't seem to know draft history very well. I just checked the first round picks to see where the first 2 QBs were taken in each draft. Generally, the #1 pick is a QB. After that, it's actually quite rare for the 2nd QB to be taken in the top 4 picks. It's only happened three times in the past 10 years. Here's the draft position of the first 2 QBs for each year:

2012: #1 & #2
2011: #1 & #8
2010: #1 & #25
2009: #1 & #5
2008: #3 & #18
2007: #1 & #22
2006: #3 & #10
2005: #1 & #24
2004: #1 & #4
2003: #1 & #7
2002: #1 & #3

I went back all the way to 1980 to see when 2 QBs have been taken in the top 4, and it did happen in 1999, 1998, and 1993. That's it. So your guarantee that 2 QBs will be taken in the top 4 picks is not supported by any history and is a bet I'd love to take.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 31st, 2012, 10:42 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

None of that really matters. It is absurd to even consider the lions not winning 5-6 games minimum this year. We may not be as good as we thought, but we are not bottom of the league either. We will not be picking top 5 in the draft. My guess is that those picks will al go to the afc this year.

October 31st, 2012, 1:35 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
regularjoe12 wrote:
None of that really matters. It is absurd to even consider the lions not winning 5-6 games minimum this year. We may not be as good as we thought, but we are not bottom of the league either. We will not be picking top 5 in the draft. My guess is that those picks will al go to the afc this year.

Exactly, this team is 1 win away from .500 with Minnesota next week who has a tough game against Seahawks on the road. We are by no far out of this yet.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 31st, 2012, 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Lions2SB2 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Exactly, this team is 1 win away from .500 with Minnesota next week who has a tough game against Seahawks on the road. We are by no far out of this yet.

Improving the record to 4-4 would go a long way toward getting this season on track. The Giants were 7-7 last year before winning the Super Bowl, so even a .500 record in late in the season doesn't necessarily spell disaster.

1. Atlanta Falcons NCS 7 0 0
2. Chicago Bears NCN 6 1 0
3. New York Giants NCE 6 2 0
4. SF 49ers NCW 6 2 0
5. Minnesota Vikings NCN 5 3 0
6. Green Bay Packers NCN 5 3 0
7. Arizona Cardinals NCW 4 4 0
8. Seattle Seahawks NCW 4 4 0
9. Detroit Lions NCN 3 4 0
10. TB Buccaneers NCS 3 4 0
11. Philadelphia Eagles NCE 3 4 0
12. Dallas Cowboys NCE 3 4 0

The Lions currently rank 9th in the NFC, so if the playoffs started today the Lions would be out. But the four teams above us (Minnesota, Green Bay, Seattle, and Arizona) have not yet had their bye week--they have a 0.5 game lead on us because they've played an extra game. If the Lions can move ahead of three of those teams by the end of the season, they'll make the playoffs.

We get three of the teams in the wildcard race in head-to-head matchups: Arizona (away), Minnesota (away), GB (home and away). Given how tight the wildcard race looks right now, those head-to-head matchups could be really important.

Interesting side note: the Lions play their final two games of the season at home--against the two best teams in the NFC: Atlanta in week 16 and Chicago in week 17. On one hand, those will be tough matchups. On the other hand, both of those teams could have their playoff seeding wrapped up by that point and might be resting their starters. It's quite possible the Lions will need to win one or both of those games to make the postseason.

October 31st, 2012, 3:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Lions2SB2 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Aside from that, lets not forget this fact. The Lions havent played a complete game yet AND Stupid Mistakes have cost them multiple games.

Before the last game (Staffords best of the year).. we had the #2 Passing Offense(Yds), #4 Overall Offense (Yds) and #8 Def (Yds)... we just have a MASSIVE issue scoring once in the redzone.

If this team puts it together they could definetly win 10 games this year. Is it likely, No. Do we have the talent, Yes. Even if we make a run were 1 and done in playoffs or 2nd rd at best, but thats a far cry from discussing a top 4 pick.

IMO we HAVE to win this game, and use it as a springboard for momentum.

November 1st, 2012, 7:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

mwill2 wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Improving the record to 4-4 would go a long way toward getting this season on track. The Giants were 7-7 last year before winning the Super Bowl, so even a .500 record in late in the season doesn't necessarily spell disaster.

1. Atlanta Falcons NCS 7 0 0
2. Chicago Bears NCN 6 1 0
3. New York Giants NCE 6 2 0
4. SF 49ers NCW 6 2 0
5. Minnesota Vikings NCN 5 3 0
6. Green Bay Packers NCN 5 3 0
7. Arizona Cardinals NCW 4 4 0
8. Seattle Seahawks NCW 4 4 0
9. Detroit Lions NCN 3 4 0
10. TB Buccaneers NCS 3 4 0
11. Philadelphia Eagles NCE 3 4 0
12. Dallas Cowboys NCE 3 4 0

The Lions currently rank 9th in the NFC, so if the playoffs started today the Lions would be out. But the four teams above us (Minnesota, Green Bay, Seattle, and Arizona) have not yet had their bye week--they have a 0.5 game lead on us because they've played an extra game. If the Lions can move ahead of three of those teams by the end of the season, they'll make the playoffs.

We get three of the teams in the wildcard race in head-to-head matchups: Arizona (away), Minnesota (away), GB (home and away). Given how tight the wildcard race looks right now, those head-to-head matchups could be really important.

Interesting side note: the Lions play their final two games of the season at home--against the two best teams in the NFC: Atlanta in week 16 and Chicago in week 17. On one hand, those will be tough matchups. On the other hand, both of those teams could have their playoff seeding wrapped up by that point and might be resting their starters. It's quite possible the Lions will need to win one or both of those games to make the postseason.

I know all y'all probably don't like to hear it or think about it - but Lions fans should be cheering hard for the Bears all the way up to that last week, and then wish them good rest on 12/30. The Bears have 7 games against teams above the Lions on that list, and could really help the Lions without hurting the Lions.

November 1st, 2012, 8:20 am
Team MVP

Will never cheer for the Bears. Sorry.

For me, thats like cheering on UofM.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 1st, 2012, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

And at the beginning of this season it was considered to be absurd to think that the Lions would lose to Minnesota at home, or even lose to the Titans. It would have been absurd to think that Stafford would have thrown more picks than TDs until this past weekend, or that Calvin would have just 1 TD catch in the first seven games he's played in.

The Lions MAY have turned a corner against the Seahawks. However, until they become a more consistent ball club, it is NOT absurd to think anything.

And the whole point of this conversation is the notion that if the Lions somehow end up with a top 5 pick, that another team would be willing to trade the farm to move up to their spot to get a QB. Comparing what the Redskins traded last year to move to the number two spot to what another team may do is a foolish notion, because A) the Redskins weren't moving to a spot, they were moving to a player they wanted desperately, and B) Daniel Snyder is a moron, and no other team has that much of a moron controlling them.

There is no QB in the draft right now that has the skillset and consistency that either Luck or RG3 displayed during their final collegiate seasons. Barkley has looked less than stellar, and Geno Smith has come back down to earth. Nobody stands out like Luck and RG3 did. Therefore, teams won't be giving up multiple first round picks to get there.

November 1st, 2012, 12:44 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I heard Pat Kirwan on Sirius today talking about 4-4 teams. He said that, on average, 4-4 teams end up winning an additional 3.3 games/year. That average would put the Lions at 7-9 if that average holds up.

However, the Lions have the benefit of playing 5 of the remaining games at home and only 3 on the road. At least two of the road games (Minnesota and Arizona) seem winnable. If the Lions beat Minnesota and Arizona on the road, can they win any three of these home games?

Green Bay
Houston
Indianapolis
Atlanta
Chicago

If they can win two road games AND three of these games, they'll finish 9-7 with a chance of making the playoffs. I think the playoffs could happen with a second-place finish in the division, plus tie-breaking head-to-head wins over both Arizona and Seattle. It's actually possible--based on how weak the other NFC divisions have been--that the NFC North could have two wildcard teams.

November 6th, 2012, 1:11 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

NFC EAST
Giants 11-5
Eagles 9-7
Cowboys 8-8
Redskins 4-12

NFC South
ATL 14-2
NO 8-8
Tampa 7-9
Carolina 4-12

NFC West
San Fran 13-3
Seattle 9-7
ARI 6-10
STL 6-10

NFC North
CHI 11-5
GB 10-6
DET 9-7
MIN 6-10

Lions make the playoffs with a week 17 win at home against the already division clinched Bears. The Lions win a tiebreaker over both PHI and SEA having defeated both teams. I made these predictions having looked at each teams schedule. The team I worry about is Seattle because they potentially could get to 10 wins looking at the schedule - it might require a home win vs San Fran or a road win at Miami but if either happens it looks like that would be enough to keep the Lions at home in the playoffs.

November 6th, 2012, 2:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2