View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Schwartz 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Shwartz has got to go
I guess you guys don't watch other teams or other sports. Star players always get the start treatment. The fact you want to hold Schwartz accountable for something that happens on just about every team, in every sport, in virtually every level is laughable. You might be able to point out a franchise or two that is the exception to the rule, but in general this is how sports (and to some degree how the world) works.

December 11th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
I guess you guys don't watch other teams or other sports. Star players always get the start treatment. The fact you want to hold Schwartz accountable for something that happens on just about every team, in every sport, in virtually every level is laughable. You might be able to point out a franchise or two that is the exception to the rule, but in general this is how sports (and to some degree how the world) works.

I don't see other players making dirty hit after dirty hit, and literally being DEFENDED for it in the presser after the game. I can see not calling out Staff for his gaffe, but letting Suh repeatedly get away with this crap, with no ramifications from the team, is utterly irresponsible. If not publicly, he should damn well be criticized in the locker-room, and fined by the team for his stupidity. Like I said, this crap wouldn't be happening by the same player, over and over and over again on a Tom Coughlin or Bill Billicheck team, period.

December 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I don't see other players making dirty hit after dirty hit, and literally being DEFENDED for it in the presser after the game. I can see not calling out Staff for his gaffe, but letting Suh repeatedly get away with this crap, with no ramifications from the team, is utterly irresponsible. If not publicly, he should damn well be criticized in the locker-room, and fined by the team for his stupidity. Like I said, this crap wouldn't be happening by the same player, over and over and over again on a Tom Coughlin or Bill Billicheck team, period.

Its loyalty man. Its whats killing us. Schwartz doesnt want to accept the facts but instead would rather keep making excuses for players like Suh.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 11th, 2012, 5:30 pm
Today the Detroit Lions released three articles about "why" we lost the Packers game:

1) Injuries
2) Depth
3) We were tired

THIS is why we can't get better. THIS is why we can't move on, and THIS is why Schwartz has to go. NO mention of why we mailed it in with 0:50 left in the 2nd half, NO mention as to why we played with no sense of urgency late in the 4th down two scores, NO mention as to not being able to make adjustments to GBs halftime adjustments, etc. Schwartz acts like he does nothing wrong. He places none of the blame on himself. It's always "we need new players," "we need more talent," "we need more depth," "the special teams guy blew it," "the refs screwed us!" Blah blah blah...

You can't grow until your realize your role in the problem, and until you realize your faults. Schwartz just flat out doesn't get it.

December 11th, 2012, 5:56 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

And just like I pointed out, there are a couple of exceptions - and then there are the other 30 teams.

BTW - it wouldn't be too smart for Schwartz to call out Suh for something the league might take a look into. I mean, that could influence fines and moreso suspensions. Imagine what some on this board might say if Schwartz says something about Suh and then the commish suspends him for a game or two.

In addition, we have no idea what happens behind closed doors. I might punish/discipline one of my employees behind closed doors, but that doesn't mean I share that with the rest of the company.

December 11th, 2012, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

And just like I pointed out, there are a couple of exceptions - and then there are the other 30 teams.

BTW - it wouldn't be too smart for Schwartz to call out Suh for something the league might take a look into. I mean, that could influence fines and moreso suspensions. Imagine what some on this board might say if Schwartz says something about Suh and then the commish suspends him for a game or two.

In addition, we have no idea what happens behind closed doors. I might punish/discipline one of my employees behind closed doors, but that doesn't mean I share that with the rest of the company.

Pablo
1) Failing to condemn the action publicly for fear of retribution from the league is one thing, standing up for his non-sense in a press conference is another.
2) There is no way he's standing up for him in a presser, and then bashing him behind closed doors. It doesn't make sense, and you can tell one other way... HIS BEHAVIOR HASN'T CHANGED.

December 11th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Motown Review: Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz has lost control
By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on December 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM,
updated December 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz lost more than just a game against the Arizona Cardinals this past Sunday.

Schwartz has officially lost control of his team.

Technically, you can say Schwartz started losing his grip this past offseason.

It started with former Lions offensive lineman Johnny Culbreath's marijuana possession arrest. The lack of control became obvious when three players were arrested twice in short time frames (seven arrests overall). That meant Schwartz spoke with three players, stressed the importance of staying out of trouble, and each one ignored their boss.

That is a lack of control.

Schwartz never had a good grasp of the Titus Young 'Sr.' situation. After Young sucker-punched a teammate, he was allowed back on the team, and Schwartz even praised the receiver's progress. However, Schwartz waited for a meltdown on the sidelines between his coaches this season before finally sending the problem child packing.

After Detroit's embarrassing 38-10 loss against the Arizona Cardinals, it is obvious Schwartz needs to regain control. By the way, Schwartz will need more than sarcasm and withholding injury information to get this ship back on course.

Detroit entered this game on a five-game losing streak, but the Arizona Cardinals were the NFL's version Savannah State. Arizona had lost nine-consecutive games, was fresh off a 58-0 loss against Seattle, and started a rookie quarterback.

That is when Schwartz's problems surfaced - again.

-- Schwartz's inability to develop Matthew Stafford was evident as the quarterback threw for 246 yards, three interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) and had zero touchdowns (37.6 passer rating). Stafford's delay of game penalty in the fourth quarter was not only a bad mental error, but negated Kris Durham's touchdown reception. Stafford's error led to Arizona defensive back Greg Toler's 102-yard interception return for a touchdown.

-- Schwartz's defensive line was supposed to be one of the league's best this season. While Ndamukong Suh had one sack and four quarterback hits, defensive ends Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosch were quiet against Arizona, and nobody else stepped up.

-- Schwartz was unable to find one receiver who could step up with the attention Calvin Johnson received on Sunday. Durham had one reception for 14 yards, while Brian Robiskie had one reception for nine yards.

-- Schwartz's team was penalized seven times for 63 yards, and three of them were offsides penalties. Those are mental errors that should have been solved by now.

Schwartz's team was blown out and has lost six straight games. Many allege the team has quit, but that accusation is worse than saying an athlete is on steroids. I do not think this team has quit, but Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch suggested there are players on this team that lack focus. The ability to unify players for a common cause is Schwartz's responsibility.

Once again, his message is not getting through.

Detroit's final games are against Atlanta and Chicago. We have not seen anything lately to make us believe Detroit can pull off an upset in either game. Detroit could finish 4-12 after starting the season 1-3 and climbing back to 4-4.

We have no reason to believe Schwartz will lose his job after this season, but the coach definitely needs to clean house. When a team finishes this poorly, loyalty goes out the door.

Schwartz needs to find impact players who can change games instead of guys who cannot finish.

There needs to be a serious discussion about the Wide-9 defense, and if it is still relevant. Detroit has been unable to get consistent pressure with that scheme. If Schwartz still wants to use this scheme, he has to find players who can better execute his system.

Schwartz will evaluate his coaching staff. It appears very likely several of his assistant coaches will be unemployed after the regular season, and Schwartz may have to offer up a coordinator to save his own job. It is very hard to tell an NFL owner, especially following a playoff season, you will not make any changes after only four wins.

The coach continues to say he is only worried about the next opponent, but if your team keeps losing to every opponent, something needs to be done.

The Lions are out of control.

Schwartz has lost his grip.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
About the only think I might disagree with here is when Jim started to lose control of the team, it happened after the 49er game last year; its been ALL downhill since then.
Like him or not; Think he's had enough time or not, IF he has lost the team it is time for him to go.

December 17th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Team MVP

Well said Wags and I feel the same way.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 17th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Mayhew's stinginess with contracts for the middle of the road guys coming back to bite us?

Quote:
Looking for answers, Detroit Lions' Stephen Tulloch provides hypotheses on why team has regressed
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
December 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM, updated December 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM

AP File Photo
Stephen Tulloch had several guesses as to why the Detroit Lions have regressed this season following the team's loss to the Arizona Cardinals.
GLENDALE, Ariz -- Detroit Lions middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch is understandably frustrated.
The seven-year veteran signed a five-year deal to stay with the Lions this offseason, partially because he believed the team was trending toward greatness after a 10-6 playoff season in 2011.
But now, at 4-10, Tulloch, like the rest of his teammates, are left looking for why things have gone so wrong this season.
"To lose six games straight with as much talent and ability as we have in this room, I don't know what to say," Tulloch said. "It's hard for me to explain. I know what these guys are made of, I know what this team is all about, we're just not producing right now."
As Tulloch answered questions about the difficulty of winning a football game when the offense turns the ball over four times after a 38-10 loss against Arizona, the linebacker said everyone, not just quarterback Matthew Stafford, needs to take responsibility for the team's struggles.
"We have to be accountable across the board," Tulloch said. "Obviously the quarterback is the main guy, everybody wants to point fingers at him, but it's not just him, it's everybody."
Tulloch believes the accountability issues started in the offseason, when Lions players were arrested seven times. The team was forced to release cornerback Aaron Berry after a second offseason arrest and running back Mikel Leshoure had to serve a two-game suspension to start the season.
"Football is a game of focus," Tulloch said. "If you're focusing on things going on outside the field, that's a problem. I'm not pointing to that one issue as to where we're at, but we've got to find a way to eliminate everything and just focus on the guys in this locker room. If you're with us, be with us, if you're not, keep moving."
Tulloch also wondered if the contract statuses of many teammates, including many of the Lions' starters, is hindering the ability of his teammates playing to their potential.
"Obviously, when you're playing in the last year of your deal, you have a lot weighing on you -- the pressure, the stability of your family, whatever it is. Sometimes players tend to do different things, try to make plays here and there. That kind of hurts a little bit."
Tulloch has an intimate understanding of that pressure, playing the previous two seasons on the final year of his contract.

Whatever the Lions' problems may be, he trusts the coaching staff and front office will weed out the players that are holding the team back and replace them with guys who can help right the ship.
"This team, hopefully management and coaches, can make some moves where we can get this thing going and get some guys in here so we can move forward," Tulloch said.

December 17th, 2012, 3:24 pm
RIP Killer

I'm tired of hearing about these guys talking about the 'stability of their families' when talking about their future or their contract situations. Many of them make more in one season than we would in 6 years of working, and that's the low end guys. Their stability can be better created by them not getting involved with shady friends in shady business dealings. Instead of buying that brand new BMW 7 series, or the Bentley, buy something more economical. Tulloch himself makes more money than he should, and makes more in one season than most families will see in a lifetime. Phuck him and his opinions.

Once you are on the field, the status of your contract should be non-existant in a players mind. If that's something they are thinking about, then Schwartz isn't doing his job and they aren't doing theirs. That is a player, regardless of who it is, that needs to be released or traded. Worry about your damn contract with another team, and screw up for them.

December 17th, 2012, 6:06 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I'm tired of hearing about these guys talking about the 'stability of their families' when talking about their future or their contract situations. Many of them make more in one season than we would in 6 years of working, and that's the low end guys. Their stability can be better created by them not getting involved with shady friends in shady business dealings. Instead of buying that brand new BMW 7 series, or the Bentley, buy something more economical. Tulloch himself makes more money than he should, and makes more in one season than most families will see in a lifetime. Phuck him and his opinions.

Once you are on the field, the status of your contract should be non-existant in a players mind. If that's something they are thinking about, then Schwartz isn't doing his job and they aren't doing theirs. That is a player, regardless of who it is, that needs to be released or traded. Worry about your damn contract with another team, and screw up for them.

again whining that NFL players make more than you...still you make a point, when the game starts it shouldnt matter. i dont buy tulloch s reasoning either

December 17th, 2012, 6:16 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

again whining that NFL players make more than you...still you make a point, when the game starts it shouldnt matter. i dont buy tulloch s reasoning either

I'm not complaining about how much they make, or that they make more than me. I'm complaining about them acting like what they make in a given contract can't sustain their families for a lifetime. You should know the difference.

December 17th, 2012, 6:24 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I'm not complaining about how much they make, or that they make more than me. I'm complaining about them acting like what they make in a given contract can't sustain their families for a lifetime. You should know the difference.

see bolded area

December 17th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:

I agree with you here. If you are on your last year of a contract, your personal stability be damned. You play lights out to drive your value skyward. That is a piss poor excuse.

December 18th, 2012, 1:12 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I agree with you here. If you are on your last year of a contract, your personal stability be damned. You play lights out to drive your value skyward. That is a piss poor excuse.

I'm not buying it as an excuse, and I also feel no sympathy. But I'm wondering if this points to a potential HR blunder. We all know Mayhew's penchant for one-year contracts, but maybe that has come back to bite him. Some examples: I know that in an interview earlier in the year Houston let it slip that we shouldn't have let E. Wright go. I'm sure Avril's payday also doesn't play well with a lot of people. Say what you want about Tulloch, but we jerked him, like Houston, around quite a bit, especially in the lockout year. That's coming back to haunt us.

When the people in your organization don't think good work is being rewarded, in this case with longer term contracts, then you have a fundamental problem.

December 18th, 2012, 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next