HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Lions place Titus Young on IR
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16367
Page 4 of 23

Author:  rao [ January 23rd, 2013, 9:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

I don't think Best ever said he would be better than Sanders. I know Backus and Julian Peterson compared him to Sanders which is just as insane, but don't beat up Best he's been a good guy the whole time. It's not his fault he's a walking head injury just unlucky.

TY and Best are just good examples of why the team is failing now. Both were risks and both backfired. Best has great talent and played inside and out even at his size, but was an injury risk. TY again great talent and fearless going after the ball, but a locker room problem in college. They need to stop taking these boom or bust guys so early in the draft when there is much more solid and just as talented players on the board.

Author:  DJ-B [ January 23rd, 2013, 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

Agreed... even without the Headcase/Drama issues surrounding TY, is there anybody on this board... or even anybody in the country that would be dissapointed if we had Randall Cobb or Torrey Smith (i believe the next 2 receivers drafted) as Cjs #2?

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ January 23rd, 2013, 5:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

DJ-B wrote:
Agreed... even without the Headcase/Drama issues surrounding TY, is there anybody on this board... or even anybody in the country that would be dissapointed if we had Randall Cobb or Torrey Smith (i believe the next 2 receivers drafted) as Cjs #2?


Cobb is a dime a dozen player... You can practically sign anyone off of the street to fill his role... Just ask CO2...

All kidding aside, when we drafted TY I wished we had drafted Smith. He seems more of a true #2, and that's a huge need on this team. Broyles and Nate just flat our aren't #2 WRs. They're both slot guys. This team desperately needs another deep threat at WR to take pressure off of CJ. You can bring up CJs huge numbers all you want, if he didn't always have a safety over the top he would have scored more, period. If he wasn't always double covered, he would have even MORE yards.

Author:  regularjoe12 [ January 23rd, 2013, 6:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

im sorry...but compairing the Titus pick to any other WR pick is just silly. sure in hidsight it's REALLY easy to say it was the wrong call, but at the time forcasters were crying that we "won" the draft for stealing him. no one knew how big of a selfish ignorant fool he would turn out to be or how suprisingly good Cobb would turn out to be.

now if you are like me...you didnt want a WR picked there anyways. I would have prefered any number of different guys with the Rd2 pick that year. IMO we failed by picking a WR instead of defense or interior line.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ January 23rd, 2013, 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

regularjoe12 wrote:
im sorry...but compairing the Titus pick to any other WR pick is just silly. sure in hidsight it's REALLY easy to say it was the wrong call, but at the time forcasters were crying that we "won" the draft for stealing him. no one knew how big of a selfish ignorant fool he would turn out to be or how suprisingly good Cobb would turn out to be.

now if you are like me...you didnt want a WR picked there anyways. I would have prefered any number of different guys with the Rd2 pick that year. IMO we failed by picking a WR instead of defense or interior line.


I disagree RJ. Everyone knew that Titus was a head case and saw the pick as a boom or bust type of pick. Even Titus' draft profile (which is generally only positive) on NFL.com stated that Titus had character concerns. Cobb is what he has always been, a strong, physical, after the catch WR... His ability to "play tall" (he's only 5'10"ish but he seems to play much taller), and his route running has improved greatly, but overall his is the player he came into the draft as advertised.

Smith was thought of as a first round talent, but his hands were a question. He seems to drop a lot of easy balls, there were questions about him beating the jam, and he doesn't run routes all that well. He's added size and strength, but that's to be expected. Again, he's an "as-advertised" player.

Unfortunately Young is also "as-advertised" and he's as crazy as they said.

FWIW, out of Young, Smith, and Cobb, Titus was the worst ranked prospect out of the three (7.2, Smith was a 7.5, and Cobb was a 7.8). I think you're mistakin' about people thinking we "stole" Titus. He was largely the darkhorse or question mark in what was considered to be a great draft day for the Lions, but it turned out to stink.

Author:  sweetd20 [ January 23rd, 2013, 8:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

I hated the pick at the time so there is no hind sight dor me. He is an undisciplined route runner that is to frail and weak to beat the jam at the line and avoid being I hated the pick at the time so there is no hind sight dor me. He is an undisciplined route runner that is to frail and weak to beat the jam at the line and avoid being re-routed by DBs. The last thing myself or just about anybody on here wants to see is a high pick being used on a WR but Patton might be the answer this team needs. He is big, strong, and could come in and be the best route runner on the team. I've been talking him up all year and he supposedly has looked good so far this week. They would likely have to use a 2nd rounder to get him and I'd rather see that pick used on a DB or O-line.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ January 23rd, 2013, 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

sweetd20 wrote:
I hated the pick at the time so there is no hind sight dor me. He is an undisciplined route runner that is to frail and weak to beat the jam at the line and avoid being I hated the pick at the time so there is no hind sight dor me. He is an undisciplined route runner that is to frail and weak to beat the jam at the line and avoid being re-routed by DBs. The last thing myself or just about anybody on here wants to see is a high pick being used on a WR but Patton might be the answer this team needs. He is big, strong, and could come in and be the best route runner on the team. I've been talking him up all year and he supposedly has looked good so far this week. They would likely have to use a 2nd rounder to get him and I'd rather see that pick used on a DB or O-line.


If he's a legit #2, that can come in and play like a #2 this year, a 2nd rounder isn't bad.

I'm hoping we can get our #2 via FA. Given their production, IMO #2 WRs are underpaid.

We're going to have to fill some holes via FA. We need a CB, FS/SS, #2 WR, OG, LT, and at least one DE just to be able to field a solid squad.

Author:  Killwill25 [ January 24th, 2013, 1:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

what about Lee Evans? he could plobably help us out for cheap

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ January 24th, 2013, 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

Killwill25 wrote:
what about Lee Evans? he could plobably help us out for cheap


I'm not a fan. He has his own version of "Little Man's Disease," but I will admit, he seems to have matured past it. In the beginning he was a lot like Titus, demanding the ball and claiming to be the greatest WR ever. He's calmed down a lot, but IMO lost a step too. I see him as yet another Nate B, older, slot guy...

I would rather land Massoqui in FA. He's more of a traditional #2, big-body guy that I think could flourish here with single coverage. We're going to need to draft a #2 in 2-3 years, but I think Mass could fill the gap in the mean time.

Author:  Mufasa [ January 25th, 2013, 12:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.

Author:  BillySims [ January 25th, 2013, 1:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

Mufasa wrote:
I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.


I agree. I would even go as far to say, "BUY THEM, don't draft them". You can get a reliable #2 WR for cheap enough on Free Agency.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ January 25th, 2013, 1:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.


I agree. I would even go as far to say, "BUY THEM, don't draft them". You can get a reliable #2 WR for cheap enough on Free Agency.


So let me get this straight... Because our management and coaches can't seem to deal with egos, we should over pay by $4-5 million dollars for a #2 WR?

I'm not opposed to getting a #2 in FA, but that's more because a #2 WR is one of the few positions that we can fill in FA. That said, I would like a $4-6 million dollar #2 to be a stop-gap and not a permanent solution. It sure would be nice to be able to do what other teams do, and have a #2 WR on his rookie contract making less than a million per season.

Author:  BillySims [ January 25th, 2013, 1:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.


I agree. I would even go as far to say, "BUY THEM, don't draft them". You can get a reliable #2 WR for cheap enough on Free Agency.


So let me get this straight... Because our management and coaches can't seem to deal with egos, we should over pay by $4-5 million dollars for a #2 WR?

I'm not opposed to getting a #2 in FA, but that's more because a #2 WR is one of the few positions that we can fill in FA. That said, I would like a $4-6 million dollar #2 to be a stop-gap and not a permanent solution. It sure would be nice to be able to do what other teams do, and have a #2 WR on his rookie contract making less than a million per season.


What part of, "Cheap enough", did you extract, "over-pay by $4-5 million", from?

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ January 25th, 2013, 1:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.


I agree. I would even go as far to say, "BUY THEM, don't draft them". You can get a reliable #2 WR for cheap enough on Free Agency.


So let me get this straight... Because our management and coaches can't seem to deal with egos, we should over pay by $4-5 million dollars for a #2 WR?

I'm not opposed to getting a #2 in FA, but that's more because a #2 WR is one of the few positions that we can fill in FA. That said, I would like a $4-6 million dollar #2 to be a stop-gap and not a permanent solution. It sure would be nice to be able to do what other teams do, and have a #2 WR on his rookie contract making less than a million per season.


What part of, "Cheap enough", did you extract, "over-pay by $4-5 million", from?


What do you think the league average for a true #2 is? I'll tell you for sure, it's over $3 million. FWIW, we're paying Nate around $6.

Author:  BillySims [ January 25th, 2013, 1:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.


I agree. I would even go as far to say, "BUY THEM, don't draft them". You can get a reliable #2 WR for cheap enough on Free Agency.


So let me get this straight... Because our management and coaches can't seem to deal with egos, we should over pay by $4-5 million dollars for a #2 WR?

I'm not opposed to getting a #2 in FA, but that's more because a #2 WR is one of the few positions that we can fill in FA. That said, I would like a $4-6 million dollar #2 to be a stop-gap and not a permanent solution. It sure would be nice to be able to do what other teams do, and have a #2 WR on his rookie contract making less than a million per season.


What part of, "Cheap enough", did you extract, "over-pay by $4-5 million", from?


What do you think the league average for a true #2 is? I'll tell you for sure, it's over $3 million. FWIW, we're paying Nate around $6.


And what does that have anything to do with you reading , " over-pay by $4-5 Million", into what I said?

Page 4 of 23 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/