View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 8:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Linehan Sucks???? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Linehan Sucks????
I have noticed how some posters like to second guess Linehan. Second guessing is the easiest thing in the world to do. People do it because there is no real way to disprove what they say. But, I have an idea here.

Most teams script there first 10-20 plays. So, let's have the second guessers put there reputation where their mouth is.

If you dare, script your first 20 plays and post them here BEFORE each game. We will compare what you would have done with what Linehan actually does. If Linehan's play fails to gain more than 2 yards, we will consider it a fail = -1. If you called for something different ( even though we don't know that your play would have worked), you get a +1. But, if you called for the same play ( or a derivation of that play), you get a -1.

Just be warned, the rest of us can tell you that you suck and need to be fired if your worse than Linehan. LOL.

December 5th, 2012, 4:25 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Linehan Sucks????
Singleback formation: Run directly up the middle, 2 yards
Shotgun formation: Incomplete pass
(Punt)
Singleback formation: Run directly up the middle, 1 yard
Shotgun formation: Complete pass for the first, 12 yards
Singleback formation: Run directly up the middle, 0 yards
Shotgun formation: Complete pass, 5 yards
(Punt)

Repeat.

December 5th, 2012, 4:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Shotty wrote:
(Punt)
(Punt)

Repeat.

Is that your game plan? You realize that 2 yards or less is considered a fail. And your object is to out do Linehan.

December 5th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
(Punt)
(Punt)

Repeat.

Is that your game plan? You realize that 2 yards or less is considered a fail. And your object is to out do Linehan.

My mistake, I honestly can't make one with the way Linehan run things. I'll make a 10-play series on how any creative, original offensive coordinator would probably call the Lions offense on a scoring series:

I-Formation (Heller as FB): Outside run, 3 yards
Singleback: Pass to CJ, 8 yards
Singleback: Draw play, 2 yards
Singleback: Play action, 10 yards
Shotgun: Pass to Pett over the middle, 8 yards
Singleback: Play action, 20 yards to CJ
Shotgun: Draw with Leshoure, 4 yards
Shotgun: Pass to a WR or check down to Pett, 6 yards
Singleback: Play action, touchdown

Just a sample of how easily the offense could score with some creativity and keeping defenses honest. Just a thought.

Also, why not start series' every once in a while with a bomb to Calvin? When has he let Staff down on those?

December 5th, 2012, 5:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
(Punt)
(Punt)

Repeat.

My mistake, I honestly can't make one with the way Linehan run things. I'll make a 10-play series on how any creative, original offensive coordinator would probably call the Lions offense on a scoring series:

I-Formation (Heller as FB): Outside run, 3 yards
Singleback: Pass to CJ, 8 yards
Singleback: Draw play, 2 yards
Singleback: Play action, 10 yards
Shotgun: Pass to Pett over the middle, 8 yards
Singleback: Play action, 20 yards to CJ
Shotgun: Draw with Leshoure, 4 yards
Shotgun: Pass to a WR or check down to Pett, 6 yards
Singleback: Play action, touchdown

Just a sample of how easily the offense could score with some creativity and keeping defenses honest. Just a thought.

Also, why not start series' every once in a while with a bomb to Calvin? When has he let Staff down on those?

Your playactions. Are they passes or does Stafford hand it off or Keep it? And the 2 yard draw play would be scored a -1 to you. 3 yards or more is a successful play in this game. Any less is a fail.

December 5th, 2012, 5:08 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

It doesn't matter if I pick 10 plays and fail....I'm. A nobody who gets paid zip. Until the past 4 weeks we would walk into a 1st quarter and Tank! How can the highest scoring team in the forth quarter come out and start the game that slow, that many times, and it not be poor game planning?

Finally it appears he has adjusted and you'll notice we throw the ball on first down in the first quarter and low and behold we're getting the occasional first down now. But why the heck I'd it take 10 weeks?

He may not deserve to be fired.....but he certainly needs to be held accountable.

December 5th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Modmin Dude

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your offense can score 30+ points you should not be losing games.

Where is all the accountability for Gun? The defense should never give up 30 points. IMO the changes need to happen on the defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong, the offense needs help too, but its the D that's been losing these games.

December 6th, 2012, 8:41 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

TheRealWags wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your offense can score 30+ points you should not be losing games.

Where is all the accountability for Gun? The defense should never give up 30 points. IMO the changes need to happen on the defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong, the offense needs help too, but its the D that's been losing these games.

I hear what you are saying, but IMO gun gets a little more if a pass. For the 2nd year in a row we have been pulling db's off the street. I have a hard time seeing any dc being very successful when they have to start a cb hat has only been on the team for two weeks. Especially if that cb is so bad that no other team really wanted the guy. Especially in todays pass happy league. Gunn has benn handicapped IMO, while Linnaean has a potential pro bowl qb's, the best wr in the game.

Like I said before, I don't know if I'd fire him yet, but the slow start this team got off to in most of the first ten weeks falls onto his shoulders. Recent weeks early scoring shows we CAN score...why did it take 10 weeks to adjust his game planning?

December 6th, 2012, 9:33 am
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but IMO gun gets a little more if a pass. For the 2nd year in a row we have been pulling db's off the street. I have a hard time seeing any dc being very successful when they have to start a cb hat has only been on the team for two weeks. Especially if that cb is so bad that no other team really wanted the guy. Especially in todays pass happy league. Gunn has benn handicapped IMO, while Linnaean has a potential pro bowl qb's, the best wr in the game.
I hear ya, but look at it this way, there are 2 DCs on this staff: Gun & Schwartz himself. Between the 2 of them one would think they would be able to adjust the scheme and game plan to the players they've been given and it just hasn't worked. Not sure why. Maybe the position coaches are too blame. Perhaps the DB coach sux because he hasn't gotten everything out of that group. Perhaps the LB coach needs to do better with that group. All in all I still feel as though some changes on the Defensive side are warranted, the question is will anything be done?

December 6th, 2012, 9:51 am
TheRealWags wrote:

Bullsh!t, it's the offenses job to not just score points, but to sustain drives, and close games.

Why do you think we never won anything in the Wayne Fontz "Run and Gun"? We scored too quick and gave the other team too many chances. We kept the D on the field way, way too long, and we didn't close out games. THAT'S why we need an OL that can run block,and THAT'S why we need a respectable ground game. It's not about stats, it's about winning, period.

December 6th, 2012, 2:30 pm
BillySims wrote:
I have noticed how some posters like to second guess Linehan. Second guessing is the easiest thing in the world to do. People do it because there is no real way to disprove what they say. But, I have an idea here.

Most teams script there first 10-20 plays. So, let's have the second guessers put there reputation where their mouth is.

If you dare, script your first 20 plays and post them here BEFORE each game. We will compare what you would have done with what Linehan actually does. If Linehan's play fails to gain more than 2 yards, we will consider it a fail = -1. If you called for something different ( even though we don't know that your play would have worked), you get a +1. But, if you called for the same play ( or a derivation of that play), you get a -1.

Just be warned, the rest of us can tell you that you suck and need to be fired if your worse than Linehan. LOL.

1) I don't think it's possible to call a "derivation" of a play. A run to the left isn't the same as a run to the right, a counter isn't the same as a dive, and off-tackle run to the left isn't the same as a power run outside to the right, etc.

2) I don't think the first 10-20 plays are scripted in the manner you suggest. I think they're set up to read and react to the defense. It would be silly not to.

For instance, if the opposing team starts "playing the run" why would you keep running the ball knowing it's not going to work? I think the first "script" go more along the lines of "do this, until." Or run the ball if there's < than 8 men in the box, pass the ball if there's > than 8 men in the box.

Don't get me wrong, I think the offensive coordinator tries to predict what the opposing DC is going to do, and scripts the plays in that manner, but I still think there is some adjustment to be made along the way. Not doing so would just seem... silly...

December 6th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TheRealWags wrote:

We have 1 of the Best Offensive groups based on TALENT in the NFL.

We have 1 of the Worst Defensive groups based on Talent in the NFL.

Gun has done much more with so much less that its ridiculous Linehan still has a Job.

December 6th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

TheRealWags wrote:

This. This. This.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 6th, 2012, 5:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Changes are needed on Both Sides of the Ball.

On Offense we need a New Coordinator who doesnt suck and isnt super predictable. We could also use another quality OL or 2 but no team has every position perfectly filled.

On Defense we need talented Players. Not Just signed last week but couldnt make another roster retreads. Not Rookie 5th+ rd draft picks filling in. Actual talented players.

Gun makes mistakes, just like all coaches and coordinators do, but 95% of the defenses issue is talent.95% of the offenses issue is the way they are used/scheme and that can be fixed without impacting the cap by .01

December 6th, 2012, 6:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
Changes are needed on Both Sides of the Ball.

On Offense we need a New Coordinator who doesnt suck and isnt super predictable. We could also use another quality OL or 2 but no team has every position perfectly filled.

On Defense we need talented Players. Not Just signed last week but couldnt make another roster retreads. Not Rookie 5th+ rd draft picks filling in. Actual talented players.

Gun makes mistakes, just like all coaches and coordinators do, but 95% of the defenses issue is talent.95% of the offenses issue is the way they are used/scheme and that can be fixed without impacting the cap by .01

Agree. Id love to see this defense get some really talented players. I want to see playmakers.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 6th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next