View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Kramer and the 1991 Lions. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Kramer and the 1991 Lions.
Quote:
Kramer still savors his piece of Lions' history

May 25, 2005BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Erik Kramer was back in town for a couple of days so the subject came up, as it inevitably does.

The 1991 Lions.

The 12-4 record and the playoffs.

And the 38-6 victory over the Dallas Cowboys.

Even now -- 13 seasons later -- Kramer remains the only Lions quarterback to have won a playoff game since the Lions won the NFL championship in 1957.

Coach Wayne Fontes and offensive coordinator Dave Levy -- sensing the Cowboys' defense would be preoccupied with All-Pro running back Barry Sanders -- built a game plan around Kramer's passes, and it worked to perfection.

"They ran a defense that was designed to stop Barry, and from the very first play -- we hit a pass -- it worked, so Dave Levy called it again," Kramer said Tuesday. "We never missed."

Willie Green caught eight passes for 115 yards and two touchdowns, Herman Moore caught six for 87 yards and a touchdown, and Kramer eventually completed 29 of 38 passes for 341 yards and three TDs without an interception.

Although Sanders applied the finishing touch with a dazzling 47-yard run, the passing game made the difference and earned Kramer a piece of NFL notoriety he still enjoys.

Kramer was in Detroit as one of seven quarterbacks honored at the 15th annual Detroit Lions Invitational golf outing at Indianwood earlier this week. The other six were Earl Morrall, Greg Landry, Eric Hipple, Rusty Hilger, Scott Mitchell and Joey Harrington.

Since his retirement -- after three years with the Lions and another five in Chicago -- Kramer has remained involved in the game. He runs a quarterback school at home in Agoura Hills, Calif., near Los Angeles, coaches his sons' youth teams and is putting together an instructional video for young quarterbacks.

He is also a regular on two Fox Sports Net football shows -- "Ultimate Fantasy Football" and "Quarterback Confidential" -- during the NFL season.

Kramer recently did color commentary for an NFL Europe game and will have similar duties for the Channel 50 production of the four Lions' exhibition games this year.

Sometimes it's hard for Kramer to realize it all started with a phone call to former Lions scout Joe Bushofsky and a meeting with run 'n' shoot guru Mouse Davis. Kramer had spent two seasons in the CFL and was coming off a knee injury, looking for a quarterback job in the NFL.

"I had a talk with Mouse in his office, and I think they were about to put me on a plane to go back home," Kramer recalled. "And Mouse -- out of the kindness of his heart -- said, 'We've flown this kid out here from California, let's at least go work him out.' "

Kramer eventually got a contract but sat out the 1990 season with a shoulder injury, setting up the dramatics of the 1991 playoff game against Dallas.

"I hope for the Lions they have a lot of success, and I really think they have a good chance to get there this year," Kramer said, "but I love the fact -- coming from where I came from -- that I have a piece of the Lions' historical significance. It's gratifying."

I was there and this was a great game. Reading this was a nice trip down memory lane. Anybody remember this one?

I'll never understand why we let Kramer go.

May 25th, 2005, 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

I remember. My girlfriend at the time was having some kind of holiday party and wanted me to come. Her entire family was anything but football fans. I told her I would only come if I could watch the game. To everyone's dismay, she agreed, I watched the game and didn't meet any of her family. Still one of the best parties I've ever attended...what was her name?

May 25th, 2005, 7:01 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Kramer and the 1991 Lions.
LionFan57 wrote:
Quote:
Anybody remember this one?

I was at that game as well. The Silverdome rocked that day. Kramer's short passing game destroyed the Cowgirls defense who was focused on Barry (a decoy for the greater part of the game). Sanders still produced the great highlight, with the game still not out of reach Barry appeared wrapped up by the Cowboys defense but broke loose and raced to the endzone putting Detroit in the NFC Championship game - we won't talk about that one though...

May 25th, 2005, 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It still drives me nuts cause we at that time used to stomp a hole in the cowgirls butts and then they rail off a couple championships :? and we slip into the oblivion of the 8and8 quagmire?how I long for the 8&8 days lol

May 25th, 2005, 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I was there also. Remember before the team came out they unveiled the Div. Champs sign over the tunnel? The place erupted then rocked the whole day. I lost my voice by half time. I think that was Kramers best day as an NFL QB. I know it was his best as a Lion. That is my favorite Lions memory to date. Close second is any Barry Sanders run.

May 25th, 2005, 4:03 pm
Cheerleader

......i told pablo weeks ago that i'll never forget the george teague 101 yard interception, that kramer threw, (the following weekend, i think) against the freekin Pack......still burns in my memory banks and in my gut.....we were going in for the kill shot only to have it backfire.....i'm sure many of you remember that and i bet some of you were there........keep the faith......this year is going to be very interesting.....

May 26th, 2005, 9:02 am
Cheerleader

....OOPS.....SORRY.....the next weekend was Washington.......another burned memory and another gut buster.........i think sanders had 20 something yards......

May 26th, 2005, 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]