View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up all-time great 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up all-time g
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the Lions that a Legitimate #1 CB and a #1 or 2 Safety can't fix. We take care of those 2 spots, we will go 11-5 or better next year and be Super Bowl Contenders.

It goes beyond just players Billy. This roster has more than enough talent to win half their games. The coaching staff has lost this team. There are some fundamental issues with the offensive and defensive schemes. There are discipline issues galore. We scored 10 points against a team that gave up 58 points last week to a team we beat. We gave up 38 points to a team that hadn't won in two months, and managed less than 200 yards of total offense.

You really think two players will fix that? Chris Houston held Larry Fitzgerald to four catches for 22 yards. CB isn't an issue that needs immediate addressing.

This game was lost by our Offensive Line. But, most games, yes, a CB and a Safety will fix what has lost the majority of games that we have lost.
I think we owe it to ourselves to give the current coaching staff 1 last try to get this thing fixed. Schwartz and Company should, however, come into next season on a hot seat. What has happened to the Lions this year was predictable. My first post draft predictions were for us to go 8-8 at best. This kind of season tends to happen to teams the year following a season in which they arise from the crap pile and make the playoffs. I think this is just a single step backward. And if we fix the CB and Safety positions, we will go at least 11-5 next year. Not only fixing those 2 positions though. I think the players have now seen the effects of all the chaos this last off season produced. Hopefully, they have learned something from it. Also, it shouldn't be just the coaching staff on a hot seat. I have been an avid supporter of Stafford. But, Stafford has got to step up and take charge of this team next season, or we need to move on. Stafford loses 2 road games for every 1 that he wins so far in his career.

Unfortunately, I don't see us taking a CB in the 1st round for the millionth time in my life. ( yeah, I exaggerated just slightly.) But, even if we had to trade down a few times to get to a good value spot for a CB, we should do it. But, I would bet my left testicle that we will draft another OT. We just tend to duplicate our drafting of WR, DT, RB, Well now it will be OT. Makes me want to vomit.

December 18th, 2012, 1:02 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up all-time g
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so this is the 'lucky' thread :wink:

PFT wrote:
Stafford says there’s nothing wrong with his mechanics
Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2012, 2:03 PM EST

The Lions are 4-10. And while their franchise quarterback has more than 4,250 passing yards with two games to play, his passer rating is south of 80 this year — which makes him arguably not a franchise quarterback. At least for now.

All year long, it has appeared that Stafford is throwing the ball differently, with more than a few Uncle Rico-style sidearm throws. He (Stafford, not Uncle Rico) addressed the topic in a radio interview with WXYT radio in Detroit.

“Very comfortable with my mechanics,” Stafford said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I feel good about them.”

As to the periodic sidearm throw, Stafford said he’s not doing anything differently than in the past.

“I really don’t feel like it’s too much different, to tell you the truth,” Stafford said. “I’m just trying to make the plays that are there. . . . I feel like I probably threw two balls sidearm [Sunday] and I think both of them were complete. If that’s a problem, then I don’t really know what to tell you.”

Stafford also says there’s no problem with coach Jim Schwartz’s ability to lead the team. “Absolutely not,” Stafford said. “Everybody in that locker room has a ton of respect for Coach Schwartz and he has everybody’s attention when he speaks. We believe in him, we’ve just got to put it together and play a little better football.”

They’ve got to play a lot better football. The Lions are 4-10, and they could end up being 4-12. Which is a far cry from a last year’s playoff appearance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mechanics/

The article that appears to have been the basis for the PFT mention:

Sports Radio Interviews wrote:
Matthew Stafford Defends His Throwing Mechanics and Jim Schwartz After an Embarrassing Loss
December 18, 2012 – 8:35 am by Eric Schmoldt

When two NFL teams battle that have relatively nothing on the line toward the end of the season, just about any result seems possible. That said, few could have seen the 38-10 dismantling that Arizona put on Detroit coming in Week 15. Matthew Stafford was 24 of 50 for 246 yards and three interceptions and had no trouble pinning the loss on himself, which I suppose is admirable, but good grief.

Matthew Stafford joined WXYT in Detroit with Valenti and Foster to discuss how much of the season is his fault, why he pinned Sunday’s loss to Arizona on himself, his throwing mechanics, why he was still in the game late, if Jim Schwartz has lost control of the Lions team and what the group has to play for over the final two weeks of the year.

You said Sunday’s loss to Arizona was on you. How much of the season, in general, is your fault?:
“I don’t know. Obviously I’m putting in as good of effort as I can put in. The numbers aren’t the same as last year, as far as touchdown and interceptions, and I understand that. But it’s a team game. We win as a team and lose as a team, and we understand that.”

What was it that stuck out about Saturday that made you shoulder the blame?:
“I just turned the ball over. You turn the ball over like that and give the other team easy scores, then that’s going to change the game.”

Are you comfortable with your mechanics right now?:
“Very comfortable with my mechanics. … I feel good about them.”

But it appears that a lot of your throws are more sidearm than usual:
“I really don’t feel like it’s too much different, to tell you the truth. I’m just trying to make the plays that are there. … I feel like I probably threw two balls sidearm [Sunday] and I think both of them were complete. If that’s a problem, then I don’t really know what to tell you.”

That loss was embarrassing. What happened:
“We turned the ball over, just like I told you. They got 28 points off of four turnovers from our team. I turned it over three times, gave them three easy scores, and we had a turnover on special teams.”

Why were you still in the game when you guys were down 38-10?:
“Yeah, I would’ve had a problem with it [if they would've taken me out]. I’m out there with my teammates. Everybody else is out there, I’m going to be out there. I don’t care how bad the score is, if I’m getting hit or how bad I’m playing, it doesn’t matter to me. I want to be out there.”

Could you maybe have used a breather to maybe go to the sideline and see what was going on, because nothing was going right?:
“I don’t think so. We had a chance there. Before I threw that last pick there, if it’s a touchdown instead of a pick, it’s a seven-point game with some time left in the fourth. That’s something that obviously turned it. … We had that thing moving in the fourth quarter and had a chance if I don’t throw that pick.”

People are wondering if Jim Schwartz has lost control of the team. What do you say to that?:
“Absolutely not. Everybody in that locker room has a ton of respect for Coach Schwartz and he has everybody’s attention when he speaks. We believe in him, we’ve just got to put it together and play a little better football.”

What’s left to play for in these last two games?:
“You get a chance to go out there and play football on Sunday in the NFL, a chance to go win some games, a chance to feel good toward the end of the season, and a chance to prove yourself. That’s what we look forward to.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/1 ... nals-loss/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 19th, 2012, 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2