View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lovie!?! 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Lovie!?!
DJ-B wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
If the Bears fans have their way, it looks like Lovie will be gone after this season. What would you think of him as our HC?

Id stop watching the Lions play football. Lovies teams have missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years starting many of those seasons as SB Contenders and with a spectacular D and supposed franchise players like Cutler and Marshall on offense.

Never been impressed with him , even when they made the SB, and its been all downhill since then.

We go 10-6 and there's a ticker tape parade. Lovie goes 10-6 and gets fired. Just sayin'

December 31st, 2012, 12:13 pm
NFL Veteran

Why get Lovie as a HC? If all you want is to get to the post season 3 times in 9 years then just stick with Schwartz, I'm sure Jimmy can do about just as well, he has all the bad clock management tricks down. I honestly believe if Schwartz took a more hands on approach to the Def, the Lions would probably look a whole lot like the Bears every year.

December 31st, 2012, 12:47 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
Why get Lovie as a HC? If all you want is to get to the post season 3 times in 9 years then just stick with Schwartz, I'm sure Jimmy can do about just as well, he has all the bad clock management tricks down. I honestly believe if Schwartz took a more hands on approach to the Def, the Lions would probably look a whole lot like the Bears every year.

I agree. Except he probably still would want the Wide 9 every damn play.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 31st, 2012, 12:50 pm
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

To be fair the wide 9 worked great for Tenn while they were using all the different stunts and movement with their DEs. The Lions defense just seems to lack all the creativity and aggression I thought Schwartz would bring with him from Tenn and I think it has a lot to do with Schwartz not running the Def himself.

December 31st, 2012, 1:09 pm

rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

To be fair the wide 9 worked great for Tenn while they were using all the different stunts and movement with their DEs. The Lions defense just seems to lack all the creativity and aggression I thought Schwartz would bring with him from Tenn and I think it has a lot to do with Schwartz not running the Def himself.

Word is Rivera is out in Carolina. Would be a great DC for us.

December 31st, 2012, 1:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the wide 9. The problem is you need to right players to fill out the back 7. Specifically the LBers. I am very disappointed in Tulloch. Coming here from the Titans, he should know how to play the wide 9 system. But, all his tackles seem to be 5-7 yards down field. Not, at the LOS like they should be if he were a great MLB. It is a possibility that Durrant and Levy stink so bad that he can't properly do his own job. But, if that is the case, he needs to just let both of them look as bad as they are and just do his own job.

Even with all that, if we had even average #1 and #2 CB's and Safeties, we could compensate for inadequate Line backing.

December 31st, 2012, 1:53 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the wide 9. The problem is you need to right players to fill out the back 7. Specifically the LBers. I am very disappointed in Tulloch. Coming here from the Titans, he should know how to play the wide 9 system. But, all his tackles seem to be 5-7 yards down field. Not, at the LOS like they should be if he were a great MLB. It is a possibility that Durrant and Levy stink so bad that he can't properly do his own job. But, if that is the case, he needs to just let both of them look as bad as they are and just do his own job.

Even with all that, if we had even average #1 and #2 CB's and Safeties, we could compensate for inadequate Line backing.

From what I've seen, Tulloch is just not a good linebacker. His pursuit on the ball carrier is awful most of the time and he can't cover most tight ends. DeAndre Levy always seems lost on the field, misses many tackles, and is weak in coverage. Durant is a great tackler, but not exceptional at everything else. If our corners didn't have to play 10 feet off WRs I'm VERY sure the linebackers would look better, though.

December 31st, 2012, 2:40 pm
Pop Warner Vet

I would prefer Crennel as a DC than Rivera or Lovie

December 31st, 2012, 2:59 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

From what I've seen, Tulloch is just not a good linebacker. His pursuit on the ball carrier is awful most of the time and he can't cover most tight ends. DeAndre Levy always seems lost on the field, misses many tackles, and is weak in coverage. Durant is a great tackler, but not exceptional at everything else. If our corners didn't have to play 10 feet off WRs I'm VERY sure the linebackers would look better, though.

I think it's coaching. Tulloch was a good player in Tenn, Durant was a great run stuffer but got injured too much so the Lions got him in FA, Levy has the ability to be good but never seems to get better, and Delmas continues to keep taking bad angles and doesn't know your allowed to use your arms when tackling. All these guys with Houston and the DL should make a good Def. In truth they haven't even been as bad as the record makes it seem, its just mental and discipline issues that holds the team back.

December 31st, 2012, 3:50 pm
Heisman Winner

3 playoff apperences in 9 years, thats almost the same % as schwartz

December 31st, 2012, 4:17 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

hamma77 wrote:
3 playoff apperences in 9 years, thats almost the same % as schwartz

one in the last six is what got him the hook.

December 31st, 2012, 4:23 pm
RIP Killer

And he had a millen-esque GM in Angelo for far too long

December 31st, 2012, 4:37 pm
conversion02 wrote:

I really don't see where all the Angelo hate comes from. He drafted and held onto one of the best LBs in the game, he drafted and held onto a very good RB, put together a reasonably priced extremely good D year after year, got them to the playoffs, and seemed to fill every position on the field for a bargain, but never found his Qb.

I don't see what the issue is, and I certainly can't see how you can compare him to Matt Millen.

January 4th, 2013, 1:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I really don't see where all the Angelo hate comes from. He drafted and held onto one of the best LBs in the game, he drafted and held onto a very good RB, put together a reasonably priced extremely good D year after year, got them to the playoffs, and seemed to fill every position on the field for a bargain, but never found his Qb.

I don't see what the issue is, and I certainly can't see how you can compare him to Matt Millen.

GM Angelo - 2001-2011 - Record: 87-73 - 3-4 in the Playoffs

GM Millen - 2001-2008 - Record: 34-94 (Incl the 13 Losses after being Fired in the 0-16 season) - 0 Playoffs

Yeah, not very comprable.

January 4th, 2013, 1:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

My take on it (after listening to a lot of Chicago sports talk radio) is that it was Lovie's coaching that kept them performing at a high level. Hence the reason I'd like to have him as a coach here.

January 4th, 2013, 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next