View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lomas Brown...what a scum bag 
Junior Varsity

Post Lomas Brown...what a scum bag
Anyone hear / see his interview where he admits to purposefully missing a block so Scott Mitchell would get hurt? What a sack of crap this guy is...I used to have all the respect in the world for this asshat, this is a disgrace.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hell-hurt/

December 22nd, 2012, 8:20 pm
Post Lomas Brown's comments do not put him in Favorable Light
Quote:
O'Hara's Final Thoughts: Lomas Brown's comments do not put him in a favorable light
Mike O'Hara

It isn’t easy for a player who played his last game for the Lions 17 years ago to be a major topic of discussion before a nationally televised game, but Lomas Brown has done it.

And it didn’t happen in a way that would make Brown proud.

People were buzzing – and shaking their heads – before Saturday night’s Lions-Falcons game over comments Brown made in a radio interview in which he claimed to have deliberately missed a block in a 1994 game with the intention of having his own quarterback, Scott Mitchell, injured and knocked out of the game.

For a player who had such an illustrious career and was so popular with fans, teammates, and media, Brown’s openness in explaining his action is no less baffling that a person bragging about swiping donations out of a Salvation Army kettle.

Brown played 11 of his first 18 pro seasons with the Lions, from 1985-95, and was one of the best offensive linemen in franchise history. He made the Pro Bowl six times as a Lion before moving on to Arizona, Cleveland, the New York Giants and Tampa Bay. Brown played in the 2000 Super Bowl for the Giants and was a backup on the 2002 Tampa Bay team that won the Super Bowl.

For all the good things Brown did in his career, he cast himself in a bad light by saying on a radio interview on ESPN on Friday that he deliberately missed a block in a 1994 road game against the Packers.

Mitchell indeed was injured on the play. It was Game 9, and Dave Krieg came off the bench to replace Mitchell. Krieg finished out the season and led the Lions to a 9-7 record and a wild-card berth in the NFC playoffs.

The Lions lost in the wild-card round at Green Bay, 16-12.

On the play in question, Brown said he deliberately missed a block to let Packers defensive end Sean Jones get past him and hit Mitchell. Mitchell sustained an injury to his left (throwing) hand that put hm out for the season.

The Lions had fallen far behind in the game. In the radio interview, Brown said he gave center Kevin Glover a heads-up on his intention to get Mitchell out of the game.

Brown’s interview was picked up by the Pro Football Talk website.

“I got the gator arms on the guy at the last minute,” Brown said, using a term that means a player did not extend his arms in a given situation. “He got around me. He hit Scott Mitchell. He did something to his finger -- and he came out the game.”

Brown has alluded in the past to his involvement in the play, but having it on tape in an interview and picked up by Pro Football Talk certainly cannot put Brown in a favorable light.

Brown went on to express no regret about the play and spoke of his lack of respect for Mitchell.

“As you can tell, I’m just not a big fan of Scott Mitchell,” Brown said. “He’s just not on my Christmas list. He won’t be getting any Christmas presents from me this year.”

Mitchell signed with the Lions as a free agent in 1994 and spent five seasons in Detroit. He was benched two games into the 1998 season by former Lions head coach Bobby Ross and never played again as a Lion. Mitchell was traded to Baltimore in the offseason, and his career as a Raven flamed out early.

Mitchell had one big season as a Lion, throwing 32 TD passes in 1995. The Lions made the playoffs that season and again ini 1997 with Mitchell as the full-time starter. Mitchell was not a strong leader, and that kept him from being popular with his teammates.

However, it’s hard to fathom how any player could brag openly about getting a teammate injured on purpose. That’s an act that violates a basic code of pro football – that players compete as hard as they can but don’t try to deliberately injure an opponent.

Brown is one of the players suing the NFL, claiming the league withheld held information on concussions and did not do enough to protect them.

Brown was highly regarded in Detroit as an outstanding player and teammate, but that reputation has taken a hit. And he has no excuse. He did it to himself with his comments.

It’s doubtful that he’s on Mitchell’s Christmas list.

Wow...

No wonder we've been a losing organization for over 2 decades.

December 22nd, 2012, 8:20 pm
Junior Varsity

Post Re: Lomas Brown's comments do not put him in Favorable Light
I just posted that story myself...what a turd.

December 22nd, 2012, 8:30 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, I figured Mitchell wasn't a locker room favorite back in the day, but going Pete rose style is just classless. :finger: lomas

December 22nd, 2012, 11:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

I lost any respect for Lom rectum as soon as I heard he told Andy Reid to remember him in Free Agency.

December 23rd, 2012, 12:06 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Lomas Brown...what a scum bag
I'm sure this happens a lot more than we all would like.

But still, why would you ever admit to it?

December 24th, 2012, 12:09 am
Junior Varsity

He's crawdadding on it now, but it's already out there. I think he expected to be some sort of hero for his announcment and I bet he's wishing now he would have kept his mouth shut.

First he said “We were playing Green Bay in Milwaukee,” Brown said. “We were getting beat, 24-3, at that time and he just stunk up the place. He’s throwing interceptions, just everything. So I looked at Kevin Glover, our All-Pro center and I said, ‘Glove, that is it.’ I said, ‘I’m getting him out the game.’ . . . So I got the gator arms on the guy at the last minute, he got around me, he hit Scott Mitchell, he did something to his finger . . . and he came out the game. [Lions backup quarterback] Dave Krieg came in the game.”

Then he stated:

"That was 1994, and I was extremely frustrated with the situation that was going on. And, you know, I didn’t try to get the guy hurt, but that’s what ended up happening,” Brown said on ESPN First Take today.

Brown’s claim that “I didn’t try to get the guy hurt” doesn’t make any sense. He explicitly stated in a radio appearance last week that he purposely missed a block because he wanted Mitchell to suffer an injury, that he told a teammate that’s what he was doing, and that he was glad when Mitchell did, in fact, leave the game with an injury. Brown then boasted about the fact that backup quarterback Dave Krieg came in and played much better than Mitchell had, as if Brown deserved credit for forcing the Lions to make the switch."

December 27th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Varsity 1st Team

If memory serves me correctly....Didn't Lomas always NOT report to camp on time, leading to not being in playing shape for the first 1/4 of the seasons????

and people say Suh is not a team player, sheezzzzz.

Frok

December 27th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]