HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Schwartz
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16424
Page 1 of 11

Author:  jcmessing [ December 2nd, 2012, 11:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Shwartz has got to go

That is all.

Author:  BillySims [ December 2nd, 2012, 11:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

YEAH!!!!!!!! CAUSE CHANGING COACHES/SYSTEMS LEADING TO CHANGING PLAYERS TO FIT THE NEW SCHEMES HAS PROVEN SO SUCCESSFUL.

Author:  Killwill25 [ December 3rd, 2012, 2:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

No, all we've seen over the years is coaches getting fired. I agree with Billy that we a secondary away from being SB contenders. as much as these losses hurt, I still think it's important that Schwartz focuses on getting better players than looking over his shoulder. Even if he isnt the guy, I'd still give him another season to get us a little closer. Linehan should be replaced though. There is absolutely no place for scared playcalling in the NFL.

Author:  TheRealWags [ December 3rd, 2012, 9:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

Killwill25 wrote:
No, all we've seen over the years is coaches getting fired. I agree with Billy that we a secondary away from being SB contenders. as much as these losses hurt, I still think it's important that Schwartz focuses on getting better players than looking over his shoulder. Even if he isnt the guy, I'd still give him another season to get us a little closer. Linehan should be replaced though. There is absolutely no place for scared playcalling in the NFL.
I keep seeing this sentiment expressed throughout, but am confused as to why. The Offense is scoring points...lots of them; however the Defense is giving up points...LOTS of them. Seems to me that the D needs fixing more than the O.... :confused:

(Per NFL.com)
Offense:
#2 YPG (416.1)
#1 Passing (296.7)
#21 Rushing (103.6)
#10 Scoring (300 points)

Defense:
#19 YPG (353.4)
#18 Passing (234.0)
#20 Rushing (119.4)
#25 Scoring (315 points)

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ December 3rd, 2012, 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

My concern is that it seems like Schwartz has been 'lionized.' He has that dumbfounded look too often. And his press conferences are starting to sound more and more out of touch with reality. I'm half expecting to hear "I don't coach that stuff!"

Author:  Wayne Fontes [ December 3rd, 2012, 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

I agree that it may not be the best course of action to just fire a coaching staff and try another rebuild, but when the coordinators can't call plays to a) get a first down and/or b) stop a team from 75 yds out from scoring a TD, you've got a problem. You also have consistently seen that this team doesn't win the battle of "intangibles". Good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. What type of team they are ultimately falls on the shoulders of the head coach.

Is the talent on this team better than a 4-8 team? Most definitely. Why aren't they winning games?

Author:  kdsberman [ December 3rd, 2012, 11:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I agree that it may not be the best course of action to just fire a coaching staff and try another rebuild, but when the coordinators can't call plays to a) get a first down and/or b) stop a team from 75 yds out from scoring a TD, you've got a problem. You also have consistently seen that this team doesn't win the battle of "intangibles". Good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. What type of team they are ultimately falls on the shoulders of the head coach.

Is the talent on this team better than a 4-8 team? Most definitely. Why aren't they winning games?


I think Schwartz has to have some of the blame, along with some players, but I put most of it on the OC and DC.

And i HATE to say this, i really do...but in a very miniscule way, Im kinda hoping for the higher the better draft pick ONLY because I think we are better than 4-8 and if we pick top 10, which we most likely will be, I think we will be "stealing" a top talent from teams that are more deserving of it than we are. Make sense? In other words, I dont think its really the talent on this team that we are lacking, so if we can add even more talent that we technically dont deserve, what the heck.

I obviously am hoping they win from here on out and will be cheering them on, but if they dont..

Author:  rao [ December 3rd, 2012, 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

If its true that Suh and other players were dancing around an injured player, then we do need a new coach. If its true then this whole coaching staff should be replaced with coaches that can reel these players in. This team consistently shows a lack of discipline and the only way to fix that after 3seasons is a new coach.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ December 3rd, 2012, 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

kdsberman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I agree that it may not be the best course of action to just fire a coaching staff and try another rebuild, but when the coordinators can't call plays to a) get a first down and/or b) stop a team from 75 yds out from scoring a TD, you've got a problem. You also have consistently seen that this team doesn't win the battle of "intangibles". Good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. What type of team they are ultimately falls on the shoulders of the head coach.

Is the talent on this team better than a 4-8 team? Most definitely. Why aren't they winning games?


I think Schwartz has to have some of the blame, along with some players, but I put most of it on the OC and DC.

And i HATE to say this, i really do...but in a very miniscule way, Im kinda hoping for the higher the better draft pick ONLY because I think we are better than 4-8 and if we pick top 10, which we most likely will be, I think we will be "stealing" a top talent from teams that are more deserving of it than we are. Make sense? In other words, I dont think its really the talent on this team that we are lacking, so if we can add even more talent that we technically dont deserve, what the heck.

I obviously am hoping they win from here on out and will be cheering them on, but if they dont..


Don't forget the easy schedule next year too (diabolical laughter) :twisted:

Author:  aManNamedSuh [ December 3rd, 2012, 11:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

Sorry but I don't believe this to be a good team trapped with a bad record, this is a bad team with a record they earned and a single top 10 (more likely top 5 IMO) won't fix it. Since starting last season 5-0 they have continued to play below .500 and have barely won a single game against a playoff team. I love Schwartz but his inability to control his emotions or put an emphasis on his secondary leads me to believe he is too immature for the Head Coaching job. Could he grow into it, sure, but we have a team that could win now with the proper coaching staff and I for one don't want to miss this chance with Stafford and CJ playing together in their primes with a coach not getting the most of the team.

Author:  ZAndrews81 [ December 3rd, 2012, 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

We need to put together a petition for Cowher!

Author:  WarEr4Christ [ December 3rd, 2012, 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

Despite the talk, they do NOT have a hunger, and they play like it. I am seeing this as a team that believed last years hype, got "drunk" on it, drove with it, and are now dealing with the hangover.

Some of this is leadership, but even leadership can't teach stupid! (T. Young, Fairley offseason, LeShoure offseason).

This team needs to be hungry because we are watching Chicago run for the top with an aged defense, somewhat able offense. We are also watching G Bay do it suspect OL, and Minnie do it because they are rebuilding.

I think a combination of media hype, and promos have got this team drunk on itself and we're not firing on all cylinders. We need hungry back!

We need something to play for, instead of everyone playing for themselves!!!

Author:  I.E. [ December 3rd, 2012, 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

The team isn't going to win under this guy. He's a punk, has no leadership skills, and he's in over his head from a coaching perspective. He's doing as bad a job with the Lions as Singletary did with the Niners.

Author:  DJ-B [ December 3rd, 2012, 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

TheRealWags wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
No, all we've seen over the years is coaches getting fired. I agree with Billy that we a secondary away from being SB contenders. as much as these losses hurt, I still think it's important that Schwartz focuses on getting better players than looking over his shoulder. Even if he isnt the guy, I'd still give him another season to get us a little closer. Linehan should be replaced though. There is absolutely no place for scared playcalling in the NFL.
I keep seeing this sentiment expressed throughout, but am confused as to why. The Offense is scoring points...lots of them; however the Defense is giving up points...LOTS of them. Seems to me that the D needs fixing more than the O.... :confused:

(Per NFL.com)
Offense:
#2 YPG (416.1)
#1 Passing (296.7)
#21 Rushing (103.6)
#10 Scoring (300 points)

Defense:
#19 YPG (353.4)
#18 Passing (234.0)
#20 Rushing (119.4)
#25 Scoring (315 points)


The Offensive talent (minus the OL) on this team is enough to be Top 5 in the league on offense. The Defense on this team has 4-5 Players starting at any time that wouldnt start on any other team in the league.

Its not that the O cant score pts/game, byut they cant get A SINGLE FIRST DOWN when it would close out a close game. They Cant get Touchdowns instead of settling for FGs WAY too Often. They can't "Impose" their talent on anyone.. and only look good when they are down by a large margin and go into Heroic Comeback Mode agaisnt Prevent defenses.

You want to Sum up the whole season for me? I was watching the game but working around the house yesterday,but I hopped in chat in the final minutes. When the Lined up for the 3rd and 5, I Prayed they would pass it, and when they ran for no gain and I knew they were punting with less than 1 minute left I typed " These are the types of games we lose, the Colts are going to drive and score, this game is over " and went back to my chores. It makes me sick to my stomach that I knew that would happen the second our sucky OC called the 800th predictable play of the season.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ December 3rd, 2012, 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Shwartz has got to go

BillySims wrote:
YEAH!!!!!!!! CAUSE CHANGING COACHES/SYSTEMS LEADING TO CHANGING PLAYERS TO FIT THE NEW SCHEMES HAS PROVEN SO SUCCESSFUL.


Billy, you can't keep your wagon hitched to a guy that isn't working and won't work. The sooner we find "our guy" the better. The bottom line is we're not playing up to our talent level, period.

Further, there's a big difference between "coach bouncing" and hiring inept morons like Marty M and Rod Marinelli, and getting quality candidates to do the job.

Also, switching coaches doesn't necessarily have to mean "switching schemes," or even switching offensive philosophies.

Killwill25 wrote:
No, all we've seen over the years is coaches getting fired. I agree with Billy that we a secondary away from being SB contenders. as much as these losses hurt, I still think it's important that Schwartz focuses on getting better players than looking over his shoulder. Even if he isnt the guy, I'd still give him another season to get us a little closer. Linehan should be replaced though. There is absolutely no place for scared playcalling in the NFL.


We're not just a secondary away from being a SB contender. Schwartz and his lack of discipline have lost this team. Independent of our roster challenges Schwartz himself has done a HORRIBLE job, period. It's not all Linehan, it's not all Gunther, the things that Schwartz is directly responsible for are not being done well, and it's costing us games.


TheRealWags wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
No, all we've seen over the years is coaches getting fired. I agree with Billy that we a secondary away from being SB contenders. as much as these losses hurt, I still think it's important that Schwartz focuses on getting better players than looking over his shoulder. Even if he isnt the guy, I'd still give him another season to get us a little closer. Linehan should be replaced though. There is absolutely no place for scared playcalling in the NFL.
I keep seeing this sentiment expressed throughout, but am confused as to why. The Offense is scoring points...lots of them; however the Defense is giving up points...LOTS of them. Seems to me that the D needs fixing more than the O.... :confused:

(Per NFL.com)
Offense:
#2 YPG (416.1)
#1 Passing (296.7)
#21 Rushing (103.6)
#10 Scoring (300 points)

Defense:
#19 YPG (353.4)
#18 Passing (234.0)
#20 Rushing (119.4)
#25 Scoring (315 points)


Linehan is garbage, plain and simple. He can't manage a game. That throw to CJ with 2:40 left in the Indy game alone should have been enough to get him fired. He racks up a ton of stats, but it's because we're always playing from behind. He can't win close games, he can't keep our D off of the field, he can't close a game, he can't kill a clock, he can't manage the clock when his side of the ball is on the field, and he's a horrible playcaller.


aManNamedSuh wrote:
Sorry but I don't believe this to be a good team trapped with a bad record, this is a bad team with a record they earned and a single top 10 (more likely top 5 IMO) won't fix it. Since starting last season 5-0 they have continued to play below .500 and have barely won a single game against a playoff team. I love Schwartz but his inability to control his emotions or put an emphasis on his secondary leads me to believe he is too immature for the Head Coaching job. Could he grow into it, sure, but we have a team that could win now with the proper coaching staff and I for one don't want to miss this chance with Stafford and CJ playing together in their primes with a coach not getting the most of the team.


I couldn't agree more.

I.E. wrote:
The team isn't going to win under this guy. He's a punk, has no leadership skills, and he's in over his head from a coaching perspective. He's doing as bad a job with the Lions as Singletary did with the Niners.


I said all of that last year, before we signed his extension, and everyone told me I was crazy.

Page 1 of 11 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/