View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Sorry if this was answered before, but how much would it cost to cut Burleson after this season?

It'll cost $2M, but it would drop $7.5M off the cap. In all they would save $5.5M in cap space for that season.

Those numbers aren't accurate:

Year........Salary............SB...................Misc. Bonus
2014.......$5,500,000.....$700,000.....$1,331,641

That's his current deal. We'll save his salary less his bonuses (both bonuses are guaranteed at this point.

So we'll save $5.5, minus his bonuses, which are $2M. We'll save $3.5, but it's going to cost us $2M in dead money next year. That's why I say we should have cut him last season. We more or less screwed ourselves into being forced to over-pay him for years by not cutting him. He's not worth his $4M cap hit this season, and he sure as hell isn't worth his $5.5M cap hit next year. Mayhew's handling of Nate was nothing short of moronic.

Cutting him prior to the 2012 restructure, we would have saved enough to sign Manningham, or Hayward-Bey this season. Keeping Nate for his cap # for the last two seasons is one of the dumbest things we have done in the last 5 years, keeping Dom under the same circumstances are close behind.

His cap hit next year is $7.5M if they release him they get that back minus any guaranteed money owed or that has been paid. That leaves $5.5M.

IMO you're wrong. HIs cap hit is his salary plus his bonuses. You can't recover guaranteed bonuses. The only money you can recover is unpaid salary. The calculation, IMO, is what I posted in the prior message.

His cap hit is his base salary+guaranteed bonuses+remaining portion of his signing bonus. That equals $7.5M in 2014. Dead money is the guaranteed bonuses+remaining portion of signing bonus. That is a hair over $2M. Money freed up from releasing a player is his cap hit minus the dead money. That is $5.5M.

At least that's how I think it is, so one of us is making a mistake somewhere. I think your forgetting the last portion of the signing bonus.

April 4th, 2013, 4:12 pm
rao wrote:
His cap hit is his base salary+guaranteed bonuses+remaining portion of his signing bonus. That equals $7.5M in 2014. Dead money is the guaranteed bonuses+remaining portion of signing bonus. That is a hair over $2M. Money freed up from releasing a player is his cap hit minus the dead money. That is $5.5M.

At least that's how I think it is, so one of us is making a mistake somewhere. I think your forgetting the last portion of the signing bonus.

What you "free up" by cutting a player is non-guaranteed money. Cap hit really has no place in the equation, to the best of my knowledge. The cap hit takes into account prorated portions of the SB, and other misc bonuses. Those bonuses can't be recovered. They've already been paid, or they're guaranteed to be paid, even if he's cut. "Dead money" said plainly, is money guaranteed.

*** Now I'm all confused... I need more sleep... I'm trying to wrap my head around if you're not penalizing the team at all for the guaranteed money, or if I'm penalizing the team twice for the guaranteed money... Somehow I think if I got more than 3 hours sleep last night it would be more clear to me.

April 4th, 2013, 5:08 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

What you "free up" by cutting a player is non-guaranteed money. Cap hit really has no place in the equation, to the best of my knowledge. The cap hit takes into account prorated portions of the SB, and other misc bonuses. Those bonuses can't be recovered. They've already been paid, or they're guaranteed to be paid, even if he's cut. "Dead money" said plainly, is money guaranteed.

*** Now I'm all confused... I need more sleep... I'm trying to wrap my head around if you're not penalizing the team at all for the guaranteed money, or if I'm penalizing the team twice for the guaranteed money... Somehow I think if I got more than 3 hours sleep last night it would be more clear to me.

The problem is your taking the dead money from his salary and you should be taking it from his cap hit.

April 4th, 2013, 6:15 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Massoquoi signed with Jacksonville. Rolando McClain is being waived by the Raiders. Can't help but want him when you think of Moss going from Oakland to New England and becoming unstoppable.

April 5th, 2013, 8:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Shotty wrote:
Massoquoi signed with Jacksonville. Rolando McClain is being waived by the Raiders. Can't help but want him when you think of Moss going from Oakland to New England and becoming unstoppable.

Moss might have been a dick off the field, but he was never in trouble with the law or multiple issues. I thought the same about McClain until i started reading the dretails today, its pretty obvious he is a thug with his head not screwed on straight. Maybe Bellicheck could reform him but Do you really have faith our FO can turn a problem child into something useful.....?

April 6th, 2013, 12:57 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

DJ-B wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Moss might have been a dick off the field, but he was never in trouble with the law or multiple issues. I thought the same about McClain until i started reading the dretails today, its pretty obvious he is a thug with his head not screwed on straight. Maybe Bellicheck could reform him but Do you really have faith our FO can turn a problem child into something useful.....?

I've also studied what he's done off the field, and yes he's a thug and does lots of stupid things, but I have the same approach with all these talented thugs. Give them a chance. If there's one bump in the road, let them go.

April 6th, 2013, 9:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

True. Its not like we are desp[erate for depth at ILB. Unfortunately thats all hed be for us is Tullocchs backup. His onfield deficiency is coverage, so he cant play SAM or WLB for us.

April 6th, 2013, 12:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Please, no more idiots on the payroll.....

April 10th, 2013, 11:23 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
Please, no more idiots on the payroll.....

common man.....At least wait till they hire ME before you say that! :wink: :cheers:

April 10th, 2013, 11:35 am
NFL Veteran

Looks like Cribbs is coming in now. Could be a good return man and add a few trick plays on offense, maybe even make a few plays as a WR also.

May 9th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Team MVP

I think I would be happy with Cribbs.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 9th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Just like with any talented player: if we can get him for the right price, I'm all for it.

May 9th, 2013, 5:26 pm
QB Coach

I was thinking about Cribbs the other day but figured he'd sign somewhere else before we had a chance to look at him. Glad we're at least scheduling him for a visit. Signing him I think would end Mike Thomas' time here, although Thomas did have better numbers as a receiver (in the first few years of his career).

May 9th, 2013, 5:55 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I was thinking about Cribbs the other day but figured he'd sign somewhere else before we had a chance to look at him. Glad we're at least scheduling him for a visit. Signing him I think would end Mike Thomas' time here, although Thomas did have better numbers as a receiver (in the first few years of his career).

I'd take Cribbs over Thomas. IMO Thomas may be a better slot receiver, but Cribbs is more dynamic, more versatile (at 6'1" you can play him at #2), and he's a better returner.

May 9th, 2013, 6:43 pm
NFL Veteran

I hope they offer him as a WR/Returner and not just as a returner because they may need an edge to sign him with how much interest he is getting.

May 9th, 2013, 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next