View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 6:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Rumors of a trade in the works for Blount.

Remember when Mayhew used to aggressively trade to fill needs? What happened to that guy? Don't get me wrong, I love Blount's running style, but he's definitely in the Leshoure/Bell school of running backs.

I would have no problem with getting Blount to be the starter. Leshoure has 0 heart. We should consider trading him

Blount is not going to be a Lion. Drop the BLUNT! LOL. Seriously though, Blount had 1 good year and has sucked since then.

Blount had one great season, one ok season, and last year he was only ran 41 times because Tampa said he made their team one dimensional. He is better right now than both Bell and Leshoure. Leshoure has a chance of being a good back, but he also may not ever recover fully from his injury. Blount is also not even remotely in the same school of RBs as the other two, he can actually break tackles and push forward when hit. Neither Leshoure or Bell can get short yardage if they are touched they don't run that way and probably never will. If they can use a 5th, 6th, or 7th to get Blount it's more than worth it and he's on a cheap one year extension that leaves no risk in the deal. They don't use a real FB and who knows whats going to happen with Best, so they can add Blount for cheap and still get a small dynamic scatback to replace Best. That would be only 4 RBs on the roster if Best is gone, so why wouldn't you do it? He adds at worst a true power runner with homerun abillity for the goaline and short yardage plays.

March 12th, 2013, 11:09 am
Varsity Captain

Isn't Blount the same guy who punched(sucker punched) two different teammates? Once in college, once at Tampa? No thanks.

March 12th, 2013, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

Yes and yes

March 12th, 2013, 11:36 am
NFL Veteran

Falkes wrote:
Isn't Blount the same guy who punched(sucker punched) two different teammates? Once in college, once at Tampa? No thanks.

The second punch was in training camp with the Titans and was to another players helmet which is incredibly common. Jeff Fisher even said he was not disappointed about the incident and it wasn't the first punch from a player in camp that year. He later went to Tampa and the only major incident he had in the news was when he got a 15 yard personal foul for pushing a guys head back when they were jawing at each other in a really chippy game with the Saints. That kind of foul happens all the time in physical games and was only a news issue because the media looks for any way to bring up the punch from Oregon. The guys three years removed from his big "character issue" and he has been a good teammate even with getting no playing time because of Martin.

March 12th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Jason Hanson wants to keep kicking
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 12, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT

If the Lions still want Jason Hanson, they have their chance.

The veteran kicker, who will turn 43 this summer, has decided he wants to play again this year, according to USA Today‘s Mike Garafolo. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent at 4 p.m.

He went back and forth this offseason, not sure whether he wanted to commit to a 22nd NFL season.

He’s been a remarkably consistent player, and frankly, until he falls off a cliff performance-wise, the Lions should keep him around.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... p-kicking/

March 12th, 2013, 1:37 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
Falkes wrote:

The second punch was in training camp with the Titans and was to another players helmet which is incredibly common. Jeff Fisher even said he was not disappointed about the incident and it wasn't the first punch from a player in camp that year. He later went to Tampa and the only major incident he had in the news was when he got a 15 yard personal foul for pushing a guys head back when they were jawing at each other in a really chippy game with the Saints. That kind of foul happens all the time in physical games and was only a news issue because the media looks for any way to bring up the punch from Oregon. The guys three years removed from his big "character issue" and he has been a good teammate even with getting no playing time because of Martin.

In all fairness to Blount, rao is right. That Boise st game was ugly as hell. There were so many cheap shots that I don't blame Blount for punching that chump, he deserved it after all the late hits. The titans practice punch was due to a scrub that kept ripping his helmet off during plays. Apparently his grandma died a week before that, so he was probably a little more edgy than usual anyways.

Remember when Andre Johnson punched the sh!t out of Cortland Finnegan and got a standing O after being tossed from the game?

Also, Blount was hurt quite a bit his 2nd year and the bucs were awful in general. He still did better than any of our backs have in recent years.

March 12th, 2013, 2:02 pm
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions give DE Willie Young a second-round tender

With only one defensive end under contract, the Detroit Lions didn't want to risk losing restricted free agent Willie Young on the open market.

To ensure he'll be back with the team next season, the Lions placed a second-round tender on the fourth-year pass-rusher out of North Carolina State.

The move will cost the Lions $2.023 million, approximately $700,000 more than if the team had tendered Young with an original-round contract.

As a seventh-round draft pick in 2010, an original-round tender would have allowed teams to negotiate a long-term deal with Young, and if the Lions couldn't match, the compensation would have only been a seventh-rounder. By using the higher tender, the cost to sign Young is now a second-round pick, something another team is unlikely to pay.

Young is coming off a disappointing season in 2012, failing to register a single sack after emerging as one of the league's more efficient pass-rushers the year before. With Kyle Vanden Bosch released, and Cliff Avril expected to sign elsewhere as a free agent, Young is in line for a larger role next season.

Young is the second restricted free agent tendered by the Lions. Offensive tackle Jason Fox was given an original-round tender on Monday. The team has yet to announce its intentions with its final restricted free agent, safety Amari Spievey

March 12th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

$2 millions seems like too much for Young, too bad there isnt such thing as a 5th or 6th round tender to bait some team into taking him and getting an extra pick

March 12th, 2013, 5:23 pm
RIP Killer

I agree, way too much after the year he had last year. He was awful vs the run and looked lost and slow in the rush. He just looked manhandled on every play

March 12th, 2013, 5:26 pm
The Legend wrote:
$2 millions seems like too much for Young, too bad there isnt such thing as a 5th or 6th round tender to bait some team into taking him and getting an extra pick

We could have saved $700k and submitted an "original round tender," wasn't he a 6th round pick?

IMO the FO was probably worried that we were going to lose him for a 6th. That said, I wouldn't be broken hearted if we did. It would have saved us a $1mill in cap space, and gave us an extra pick. IMO MSU's Gholston > than Willie Young right now (he's already bigger with a bigger frame).

March 12th, 2013, 7:18 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

We could have saved $700k and submitted an "original round tender," wasn't he a 6th round pick?

IMO the FO was probably worried that we were going to lose him for a 6th. That said, I wouldn't be broken hearted if we did. It would have saved us a $1mill in cap space, and gave us an extra pick. IMO MSU's Gholston > than Willie Young right now (he's already bigger with a bigger frame).

He was a 7th round pick and I have to think someone would have at least tried to get him for that.

March 12th, 2013, 7:36 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

He was a 7th round pick and I have to think someone would have at least tried to get him for that.

It's possible, but it's tough to say. He really hasn't done anything, and at $1.3 million for the original round tender he would still be about 3Xs as expensive as even a 5th round rookie. Also, he would only be on the squad for one year before being unrestricted.

That said, if someone would have signed him as a RFA and given up a 7th, if he got significant playing time, would he still be in consideration for a 2014 comp. pick?

March 12th, 2013, 7:41 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

It's possible, but it's tough to say. He really hasn't done anything, and at $1.3 million for the original round tender he would still be about 3Xs as expensive as even a 5th round rookie. Also, he would only be on the squad for one year before being unrestricted.

That said, if someone would have signed him as a RFA and given up a 7th, if he got significant playing time, would he still be in consideration for a 2014 comp. pick?

I don't think so. The 7th is the compensation and they would have had the right to match the deal. The lions probably figured someone would offer him more than $2M if they let teams bid on him.

March 12th, 2013, 7:47 pm
QB Coach

If another team had singed him they would have made it a multi year deal, they don't just get him for his RFA tender contract.

I'm sure someone could have crafted a 2-3 year deal that we couldn't or wouldn't match and gotten him for a 7th and an ok salary. I wish we would have signed him to a multi year deal like some teams have been doing with their RFA instead of just tendering him. They're giving lower 1st year pay (lower than the RFA tender) in exchange for more years and more money overall.

March 12th, 2013, 8:00 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
If another team had singed him they would have made it a multi year deal, they don't just get him for his RFA tender contract.

I'm sure someone could have crafted a 2-3 year deal that we couldn't or wouldn't match and gotten him for a 7th and an ok salary. I wish we would have signed him to a multi year deal like some teams have been doing with their RFA instead of just tendering him. They're giving lower 1st year pay (lower than the RFA tender) in exchange for more years and more money overall.

I agree with you there... Do you know anything about how RFAs work into comp picks?

I would have preferred to sign Willie Young to a 3 year deal.

March 12th, 2013, 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next