View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
I agree with you guys, but maybe they gave him this as a Put Up or Shut Up year. aka, prove you deserve a starting rotation spot, and be worth the bigger deal, or hasta next season. This gives them a little more Flexibility (but not financially).

Then again if he has a great year and we have to pay him a bunch more to sign long term, well all be complaining they didnt get the long term contract rright now.

Maybe he didnt want a 3 yr deal with low pay, and we were forced to do the 1 yr or pay him based on potential. Too many factors to tell.

Id have preferred (of course) a 3 yr deal at backup pay level.

March 12th, 2013, 8:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

Only thing I could find on compensatory picks and RFAs are that they don't count as a "loss" if they are not tendered. The chances of you finding out the answer without looking up an endless amount off seasons is slim to none. The formula for distributing the picks is not released by the NFL. You would need to find a team that was unable or unwilling to match an offer made to their RFA and somehow find out if that player was considered a "loss" by the NFL.

Good Luck WJB.

March 12th, 2013, 9:24 pm

This also isn't a written in stone deal, it gives them room to shop him and more time to work out a longer deal.

March 12th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Willie's going to be one of our starting DEs next year; I'd say that number is not too bad when you keep that in mind.

March 12th, 2013, 9:43 pm
Butkus Award Winner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Willie's going to be one of our starting DEs next year; I'd say that number is not too bad when you keep that in mind.

And well get a 2nd round pick if he leaves next offseason. Great deal IMO

March 12th, 2013, 9:44 pm

DJ-B wrote:
Then again if he has a great year and we have to pay him a bunch more to sign long term, well all be complaining they didnt get the long term contract rright now.

Hindsight (and WJB) are always 20/20.

March 12th, 2013, 9:44 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:

It's no bargain to overpay backup level talent, even if you're trotting him out there as a starter.

March 12th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

No they won't, the tender just means a team has to give up a 2nd rounder if they sign him this year. The tender is nice because it's a starting point to talk to teams that might want him. They could get a team interested and maybe get a 4th rounder for him which is more than will likely get in a comp pick. If not and they do want him long term they now have time to do so with out the pressure of just losing him.

March 12th, 2013, 9:50 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Why would the Lion's get a 2nd rd pick if he left next year??

March 12th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Veteran General Manager

Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

No. We get a 2nd round pick THIS year if he signs an offer with another team and the Lions don't match the offer.

March 12th, 2013, 10:42 pm
QB Coach

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... uh_15.html

Apparently Suh restructured to free up space. His cap hit next season is gonna be huge.

Or I guess I should say even more huge than it already was going to be.

March 13th, 2013, 12:40 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_dt_ndamukong_suh_15.html

Apparently Suh restructured to free up space. His cap hit next season is gonna be huge.

yeah tahts not too too bad though. next year he'll cost about 20 mil BUT the year after is voidable, so his rediculous salary should only damage us for one year.

March 13th, 2013, 12:51 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/detroit_lions_dt_ndamukong_suh_15.html

yeah tahts not too too bad though. next year he'll cost about 20 mil BUT the year after is voidable, so his rediculous salary should only damage us for one year.

The Signing Bonus still gets spread to the voidable year which I think is already around $6M in guaranteed money, so if they add $3M to each year as a signing bonus he will leave them with $9M in dead money just for voiding the last year.

March 13th, 2013, 1:00 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

The Signing Bonus still gets spread to the voidable year which I think is already around $6M in guaranteed money, so if they add $3M to each year as a signing bonus he will leave them with $9M in dead money just for voiding the last year.

and while thats true, if we resign him, it will be for the first year of teh contract.making that bonus plus his current 1st year of the contract much more managable. he's going to be expensive no matter what, but at least he wont be TOO detrimental finacially after next year.

March 13th, 2013, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

Rodger saffold will request a trade if STl signs jake long. Saffold would be a hefty upgrade from backus and likely wouldn't cost too much.

March 13th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 44  Next