View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
After Seattle and Baltimore?

March 13th, 2013, 9:23 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

regularjoe12 wrote:
JL wrote:
I have to wonder how good Avril really is at this point. I'm not saying he hasn't been a steady player, but I can't remember any DL the Lions have let go that suddenly lit up the highlight reels.

Shawn Rogers had a solid career. Cory redding just got himself a SB ring if I'm not mistaken... Other than that, what talent have we had on the line to lose?

"Solid career" isn't equal to being a difference-maker, and players sitting on the bench pick up a SB ring, just like the ball boys, office staff, and probably the janitors. I doubt Redding was making half of what Avril is getting. Shawn Rogers was part of a trade for Corey Williams, in point of fact.

My point is that if the Lions - who know Avril the best - didn't think he was worth keeping for two years and $15 million, what does that say?

March 13th, 2013, 9:35 pm
1st Round Pick

Yes Cory Redding went to the Colts after leaving Baltimore last off season. He didn't get a ring.

March 13th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

JL wrote:
Shawn Rogers was part of a trade for Corey Williams, in point of fact.

Nope...we sent Rogers to Cleveland for CB Leigh Bodden.

March 13th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

thelomasbrowns wrote:
JL wrote:
Shawn Rogers was part of a trade for Corey Williams, in point of fact.

Nope...we sent Rogers to Cleveland for CB Leigh Bodden.

I stand corrected. Still a trade. And... neither one of those guys really blew things up over the next few years. Rogers is still hanging on as a backup (I think for NE) and Bodden, not even sure if he's still playing.

March 14th, 2013, 12:01 am
Veteran General Manager

How much $ is on the books for Best this year? We have not cut him yet, so all his money is reflected in this years cap. We need to come to an injury settlement with him and cut his money off the cap. Tell him if he is ever cleared to play again to give us a call and we will see what we can do. But, we need to cut bait now that we have his replacement.

March 14th, 2013, 12:12 am

BillySims wrote:
How much $ is on the books for Best this year? We have not cut him yet, so all his money is reflected in this years cap. We need to come to an injury settlement with him and cut his money off the cap. Tell him if he is ever cleared to play again to give us a call and we will see what we can do. But, we need to cut bait now that we have his replacement.

His cap hit is $1,976,500 (source: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16454)

March 14th, 2013, 12:17 am
Red Shirt Freshman

BillySims wrote:

I read somewhere that Best will cost more on the cap if he's cut before June 1st - something about an escalator with the signing bonus.

Just a wild thought, but if Best comes back (cleared to play), would it be safer for him to play as a slot receiver? The kid's got good hands... just an idea.

March 14th, 2013, 11:46 am
Butkus Award Winner

JL wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I read somewhere that Best will cost more on the cap if he's cut before June 1st - something about an escalator with the signing bonus.

Just a wild thought, but if Best comes back (cleared to play), would it be safer for him to play as a slot receiver? The kid's got good hands... just an idea.

It's still possible. I love Best, he's a difference maker an can add a scary dimension to any offense, but let's be real here, if he's in the slot, 1 mildly hard hit after trying to catch over the middle and he's out again. If he were to be cleared he'd be the starting RB. If not, he'd probably be the RB when Reggie gets tired or after a return.

March 14th, 2013, 11:52 am
League MVP

Shotty wrote:
JL wrote:
BillySims wrote:

It's still possible. I love Best, he's a difference maker an can add a scary dimension to any offense, but let's be real here, if he's in the slot, 1 mildly hard hit after trying to catch over the middle and he's out again. If he were to be cleared he'd be the starting RB. If not, he'd probably be the RB when Reggie gets tired or after a return.

Best is done. if they havn't cleared him by now, they never will, and even if they did there is no way he's still in "football shape"

it's sad, but let there be no mistake about it, the kid is done as a pro football player. (hope he paid attention to the classes in college)

March 14th, 2013, 11:55 am
Varsity Captain

Corey Williams is on his way to visit Oakland. We may need a DT as well as a DE.

March 14th, 2013, 1:19 pm
League MVP

Boz wrote:
Corey Williams is on his way to visit Oakland. We may need a DT as well as a DE.

Kinda suprised by this one. He said he'd take a paycut to stay with us...wonder whats up with that?

March 14th, 2013, 1:27 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
BillySims wrote:

His cap hit is $1,976,500 (source: http://lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16454)

We would save $850k by cutting Best. That's his base salary for the year.

March 14th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I wonder if the NFL or at least Ford is keeping him around to show the NFL is looking out for the players. By keeping Best around after his concussions until he is eligible for his pension would look like a solid move in the eyes of the court and public eye as far as these lawsuits are concerned.

March 14th, 2013, 2:34 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I wonder if the NFL or at least Ford is keeping him around to show the NFL is looking out for the players. By keeping Best around after his concussions until he is eligible for his pension would look like a solid move in the eyes of the court and public eye as far as these lawsuits are concerned.

I think they're still trying to get the guy on the field in some capacity. I think they look at our record with him (what is it, like 9-1?) and our record without him, and salivate over the possibility of him being able to return. I don't think that any of this is an "act of kindness," and IMO the minute he's found incapable of returning he'll be cut.

If they wanted to do the guy a "favor," they could do it without hurting the team (make him a position coach or something).

March 14th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next