View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I wonder if the NFL or at least Ford is keeping him around to show the NFL is looking out for the players. By keeping Best around after his concussions until he is eligible for his pension would look like a solid move in the eyes of the court and public eye as far as these lawsuits are concerned.

I think they're still trying to get the guy on the field in some capacity. I think they look at our record with him (what is it, like 9-1?) and our record without him, and salivate over the possibility of him being able to return. I don't think that any of this is an "act of kindness," and IMO the minute he's found incapable of returning he'll be cut.

If they wanted to do the guy a "favor," they could do it without hurting the team (make him a position coach or something).

Why is it hard to believe the Ford family would hold a guy just to get him his pension? He got injured playing for them and has never once given up on coming back. He's shown a ton of heart trying to get back and has argued with doctors just trying to get activated to practice. WCF stuck with Millen out of blind loyalty and is 1940s old school, he takes care of his people even if it doesn't make financial sense. Plus all they are eating is 850k and they can leave him on the PUP again for the roster spot along with getting good press for the NFL when it's all over.

March 14th, 2013, 2:54 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I wonder if the NFL or at least Ford is keeping him around to show the NFL is looking out for the players. By keeping Best around after his concussions until he is eligible for his pension would look like a solid move in the eyes of the court and public eye as far as these lawsuits are concerned.

I think they're still trying to get the guy on the field in some capacity. I think they look at our record with him (what is it, like 9-1?) and our record without him, and salivate over the possibility of him being able to return. I don't think that any of this is an "act of kindness," and IMO the minute he's found incapable of returning he'll be cut.

If they wanted to do the guy a "favor," they could do it without hurting the team (make him a position coach or something).

Why is it hard to believe the Ford family would hold a guy just to get him his pension? He got injured playing for them and has never once given up on coming back. He's shown a ton of heart trying to get back and has argued with doctors just trying to get activated to practice. WCF stuck with Millen out of blind loyalty and is 1940s old school, he takes care of his people even if it doesn't make financial sense. Plus all they are eating is 850k and they can leave him on the PUP again for the roster spot along with getting good press for the NFL when it's all over.

Because it hurts the team. To me that makes no sense... at the very least they should reduce his K down to vet minimum and let him know that's what they're doing. Why hurt the salary cap, and the team in the process?

March 14th, 2013, 3:04 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Because it hurts the team. To me that makes no sense... at the very least they should reduce his K down to vet minimum and let him know that's what they're doing. Why hurt the salary cap, and the team in the process?

And Millen didn't hurt the team over and over again? Some people make loyalty a higher priority.

The lions could be working out something with Best right now or there could be a good chance he is getting activated and they want to let him try in camp. None of the scenarios are crazy, they may even be waiting till June 1st to turn his cap hit into something almost unnoticeable. Best on the roster is not altering anything they are trying to do, so it's not hurting their salary cap right now. With or without him on the roster they were still going to restructure Suh and try to extend Stafford. When they are looking at a FA with no cap space left, then we'll see how shrewd they can be.

March 14th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Varsity Captain

Michael Bennett is rumored to be heading to Detroit if he dosen't sign with Miami. He was there today. Any word?

Last edited by Boz on March 14th, 2013, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

*cough*
Quote:
The move does not come as a surprise considering Best completed his exam last Monday, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz would not reveal the results. According to several sources, Best was never going to be cleared, but the Lions wanted him to accrue another NFL season so the running back could have access to the NFL's pension plan, which is obtained after three years of service.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ive.com%29

March 14th, 2013, 4:13 pm
NFL Veteran

Thanks Wags. I forgot about that, but remember reading it now after seeing it again.

March 14th, 2013, 4:16 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

*cough*
Quote:
The move does not come as a surprise considering Best completed his exam last Monday, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz would not reveal the results. According to several sources, Best was never going to be cleared, but the Lions wanted him to accrue another NFL season so the running back could have access to the NFL's pension plan, which is obtained after three years of service.

And again I ask, why not have the guy take vet min for the year and free up more money if that is the case?

March 14th, 2013, 5:10 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

*cough*
Quote:

And again I ask, why not have the guy take vet min for the year and free up more money if that is the case?

March 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Team MVP

Boz wrote:
Michael Bennett is rumored to be heading to Detroit if he dosen't sign with Miami. He was there today. Any word?

Saw that too and got excited. Lets hope he signs with Detroit. Thatll fill a BIG gaping hole.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 14th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Heisman Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Don't you think cutting him before he get his pension would hurt the team more? Perhaps players might take note of that and FA might not come to Detroit because they don't think they treat their players with the proper respect they think they deserve.

March 14th, 2013, 5:39 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

*cough*
Quote:

Maybe it's just not a priority right now. The most they can free up is 850K, so they can focus on other things right now.

March 14th, 2013, 5:48 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

*cough*
Quote:

Maybe it's just not a priority right now. The most they can free up is 850K, so they can focus on other things right now.

I think it would be around $500k, but every bit makes a big difference. He's also due a roster bonus that we could get out of that would save us some more money if he restructured. We could save a $1 mill, and still do our "good deed." I have no problem with charity, but it's like telling the rest of the NFL, we're going to play with a $1 mill salary cap handicap... IMO it sends the wrong message to the players.

You can argue that they would appreciate playing for such a benevolent owner, but it doesn't exactly breed a "win first" team culture.

March 14th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

JL wrote:
BillySims wrote:
How much $ is on the books for Best this year? We have not cut him yet, so all his money is reflected in this years cap. We need to come to an injury settlement with him and cut his money off the cap. Tell him if he is ever cleared to play again to give us a call and we will see what we can do. But, we need to cut bait now that we have his replacement.

I read somewhere that Best will cost more on the cap if he's cut before June 1st - something about an escalator with the signing bonus.

Just a wild thought, but if Best comes back (cleared to play), would it be safer for him to play as a slot receiver? The kid's got good hands... just an idea.

I have been suggesting him as our slot receiver for about 2 years now. I believe it would prolong his career and he would take fewer hits due to the 5 yard rule for receivers. ( you can't touch them after 5 yards from the LOS until after they have touched the ball ). Plus, the NFL is cracking down on head shots to a defenseless receiver. I think he would do well as a slot receiver.

March 14th, 2013, 7:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

sweetd20 wrote:

I think he became fully vested at the end of last season. 3 years and your a fully vested veteran.

March 14th, 2013, 7:29 pm
BillySims wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

I think he became fully vested at the end of last season. 3 years and your a fully vested veteran.

That's what I thought too, but I'll admit that I'm the last one that keeps up on the minutia of NFL rules.

March 14th, 2013, 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next