View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sam Gash and Shawn Jefferson Gone. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Sam Gash and Shawn Jefferson Gone.
Quote:
Lions hoping for better offseason than in 2012
By NOAH TRISTER (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 11 hours ago

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- In 2011, Detroit players held well-attended workouts during the lockout. They entered the season focused, and after a 5-0 start, the Lions made the playoffs for the first time in a dozen years.

The next offseason wasn't nearly as positive. A number of arrests and off-field problems put the Lions on the defensive. What followed was a 4-12 collapse for what was supposed to be one of the league's top young teams.

''Any time that you take focus away from the game that's coming up, or the process of OTAs, or the process of training camp and the urgency to improve and you divide players' attention, I think it can have an effect. The biggest thing is that it affected the image of the team,'' coach Jim Schwartz said. ''That dye was cast, and it became an item with players and dealing with the media and everything else. That's the unfortunate thing - it just divided the focus of the team.''

Schwartz met with reporters for about a half-hour Monday, a day after his team finished the season on an eight-game losing streak. Detroit still has a trio of young stars that could make any team envious: quarterback Matthew Stafford, wide receiver Calvin Johnson and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. But the Lions fell apart down the stretch.

The team did not announce any immediate changes, but running backs coach Sam Gash and wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson told The Associated Press on Monday night they would not be back with the staff next season. Gash said he enjoyed his time with the Lions, but that his contract was up and he was ready to move on. Jefferson, whose contract was also up, said he was looking forward to the next stage in his life.

''I was able to coach the best wide receiver in the league,'' Jefferson said.

Among the players, the focus is on a better offseason.

''You hope that guys learned,'' wide receiver Nate Burleson said. ''Understand that the distractions that followed us into training camp hurt us a little bit, and if you're going to be that guy, you most likely won't be putting on a Lions jersey in 2013.''

Detroit finished third in total offense and second in passing, but yards didn't always equal points. The Lions finished with a minus-16 turnover differential; it was plus-11 the previous season. Detroit also allowed 10 touchdowns on interception, fumble, kickoff and punt returns.

Mistakes like that can make all the difference in a close contest, and the Lions lost nine games by eight points or fewer.

Detroit's running game remained hampered by the absence of Jahvid Best, whose status is uncertain after he missed the whole season with concussion problems. The receiving corps was also banged-up. Burleson and Ryan Broyles went down with knee injuries, and Titus Young was exiled for what Schwartz said were behavior problems.

''He's still on our roster and everybody that's on our roster is still on our roster for a reason,'' Schwartz said. ''He's a very talented player. Obviously he made a difference when he was on the field.''

Johnson finished with a record 1,964 yards receiving, but he didn't have much help and faced all sorts of defensive looks designed to prevent him from getting open.

''We started to get a clear understanding that teams are playing us a lot differently,'' Burleson said. ''This isn't 2011, where teams kind of let us run around. They were bold enough to give us one-on-one coverage, and run in between zones. They didn't do that coming into this year.''

Defensively, Suh made an impact again. Tackle Nick Fairley began to show his potential after offseason run-ins with law enforcement. End Cliff Avril had 9 1/2 sacks, but he can't be sure what his future holds. He signed a one-year franchise tender before the season.

''I would love to be here, but I know how this thing shakes out. I know how this works,'' he said. ''Just take it in stride.''

Burleson also says he'd like to be back, and his value may have increased because of Broyles' injury and Young's problems.

''I love this team, and I feel like this is my best chance to win a Super Bowl,'' Burleson said. ''Even after 4-12.''

January 1st, 2013, 10:58 am
Post Re: Sam Gash and Shawn Jefferson Gone.
Great, we lose the ONE GUY that gave a sh!t and actually disciplined his players in Shawn Jefferson, and all the rest of the deadbeats keep their jobs, perfect.

January 1st, 2013, 3:58 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Great, we lose the ONE GUY that gave a sh!t and actually disciplined his players in Shawn Jefferson, and all the rest of the deadbeats keep their jobs, perfect.

I liked Jefferson's personality, but has a WR other than CJ ever succeeded in his time here?

January 1st, 2013, 5:17 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I liked Jefferson's personality, but has a WR other than CJ ever succeeded in his time here?

he s been around for a while (2007) - mike furrey, shaun mcdonald, roy williams

January 1st, 2013, 10:42 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

All three only looked like they were good WRs because they got garbage yards in a pass happy offensive scheme.

January 2nd, 2013, 12:40 am
National Champion

Blueskies wrote:

All three only looked like they were good WRs because they got garbage yards in a pass happy offensive scheme.

Like Titus Young last year? And he turned out pretty good... oh...wait.

January 2nd, 2013, 7:44 am

Blueskies wrote:
The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I wouldn't say they're 'garbage' yards, but I would say they were the result of Martz's scheme. Receivers usually do pretty well with him.

January 2nd, 2013, 10:00 am

Detroit WRs have been for the most part some of the worst route runners in the NFL over the past decade.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:43 am
I would say that the biggest indictment on Jefferson is the number of drops that we've had over the years, but IMO that's out of Jefferson's control. It's the coach that MAKES Jefferson play these guys (think back to Jefferson SCREAMING at Linehan telling him "I can't take him anymore" [meaning Titus Young])... Linehan and Schwartz were FORCING Jefferson to play Titus because he's "so talented," despite Jefferson's desire to sit him.

Given that the HC and OC stripped Jefferson of his ability to discipline his squad, I can't fault him for the poor performance of his group.

January 3rd, 2013, 4:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Then they fired him (or rather let his contract expire) and apparently hes going to be the Scapegoat along with Sam Gash so that everyone else gets to keep their jobs, including those that stripped him of any power to begin with. :/

January 3rd, 2013, 4:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
Then they fired him (or rather let his contract expire) and apparently hes going to be the Scapegoat along with Sam Gash so that everyone else gets to keep their jobs, including those that stripped him of any power to begin with. :/

I agree completely. IMO he was the one guy on the sideline that actually "got it," when it came to Titus, and the one guy that actually saw things clearly and cared, and now he's the one gone out on his butt, and the incompetent buffoons have been allowed to keep their jobs.

This team is in shambles.

January 3rd, 2013, 4:39 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I would say that the biggest indictment on Jefferson is the number of drops that we've had over the years, but IMO that's out of Jefferson's control. It's the coach that MAKES Jefferson play these guys (think back to Jefferson SCREAMING at Linehan telling him "I can't take him anymore" [meaning Titus Young])... Linehan and Schwartz were FORCING Jefferson to play Titus because he's "so talented," despite Jefferson's desire to sit him.

Given that the HC and OC stripped Jefferson of his ability to discipline his squad, I can't fault him for the poor performance of his group.
Granted we have no real way of knowing for certain whether he wanted to do it or not, but wouldn't it be up the the position coach (Jefferson) to have the WRs spend some 'extra' time on the Jugs machine? It's been proved time and again the Jugs machine improves catching ability; shouldn't they be using it?

January 3rd, 2013, 4:45 pm

I think the biggest problem has been piss poor route running that doesn't allow the receivers to get the seperation on a consistant basis that you see other teams receivers getting in almost every game I watch.

January 3rd, 2013, 4:55 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Coaches help players improve year after year. CJ is the only receiver that has continued to improve and I think that has to do with his own work ethic, not Jefferson. He didn't help Titus improve. Furrey only played one season, so no improvement there. Everyone saw his fiery attitude and how CJ spoke highly of him, but we've had the worst set of route running and hands team in the league. Even CJ dropped more passes than usual this season.

Jefferson wasn't let go either. He didn't want to be here. He didn't get along with Schwartz or Linehan, so he wanted to go elsewhere. Let's wait to see how the receivers do next year under the guidance of someone else, as well as see how Jefferson's next gig works out before we start claiming him to be a superstar we let go. Good position coaches get promoted to OC's. He never has. And he didn't "get it" with Titus. If he did, he would have said something prior to the 4th quarter of a game in November. He would have recognized it back in training camp when Titus clocked Delmas.

January 3rd, 2013, 5:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Commenting more about the use of him/gash as a scapegoat (in perception if nothing else) while they were very much the small fish when it came to the problems this coaching staff has.

January 3rd, 2013, 8:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next