View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 TE Situation 
RIP Killer

Post Re: TE Situation
freep wrote:
Lions sign TE Nathan Overbay to reserve deal

The Detroit Lions signed tight end Nathan Overbay to a reserve/futures deal on Monday.

Overbay spent most of the 2011 season on the Lions' practice squad but was waived-injured by the team during training camp. He was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2010 but never appeared in a game.

The Lions have three tight ends on their roster: Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler and Overbay. Will Heller, who started the final three games of the year when Pettigrew was hobbled by a sprained ankle, is an unrestricted free agent, and H-back Shaun Chapas is an exclusive-rights free agent.

January 8th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I.E. wrote:
Holy crap - Pettigrew is almost 28 already? Wow.

I wouldn't give up on the guy. Just like the Pack shouldn't give up on Finley because he's had a terrible year. Both guys should call up Tim Jennings and ask him what the heck he did in the off-season. Last year, Jennings had a ton of dropped INTs (right in his hands). He did something in the offseason - some kind of catching workout - that turned him into Mr. Goodhands.

While you're at it, you can ask the Bears how well drafting their TEs in the later rounds has worked out for them.

And wjb, using "second day" to describe the 2nd round is ridiculous...you're using a term that is tied to the old way the draft used to be set up to describe today's draft.

It's not just the 2nd, but also the 3rd rounds, and they're late 2nd 3rd round players that are playing very, very well at TE. In fact, that's where most of them seem to be picked.

January 8th, 2013, 2:15 pm
RIP Killer

Greg Olsen and Mercedes Lewis are up there and both first rounders.

January 8th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Walk On

I think one of the reasons that 2nd and 3rd round TEs are playing well ... is because that's basically where they're mostly drafted. Not many TEs go in the first round, and the ones that do are often projected 2nd round.

I don't consider Greg Olsen much of a TE ... more of a big slot receiver. I consider he and Scheffler to be pretty much identical, but with Scheff being cheaper and tougher.

I understand the frustration with Pettigrew, but I expect him to rally & have some good production as a good, all-around TE. I would want & expect him to stick around. But do you pay him top-dollar in the next contract? Probably not. Because you can get good TEs in the 3rd round, an also in FA (although you would never guess that, from looking at the Bears' TEs... lol).

January 10th, 2013, 2:50 pm
conversion02 wrote:

You think their respective teams are happy they took them in the first round? I wouldn't think so. Lewis has been a non-factor in Jacksonville on an offense with nearly zero talent outside of MJD, and he still can't get the damn ball. Olsen was let go for practically nothing.

January 10th, 2013, 2:55 pm
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

You think their respective teams are happy they took them in the first round? I wouldn't think so. Lewis has been a non-factor in Jacksonville on an offense with nearly zero talent outside of MJD, and he still can't get the damn ball. Olsen was let go for practically nothing.

... if you consider half of Brandon Marshall to be practically nothing. ;-)

January 10th, 2013, 3:00 pm
I.E. wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Which 1/2?

January 10th, 2013, 3:07 pm
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I.E. wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Which 1/2?

lol

January 10th, 2013, 3:10 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Lewis has never had a QB and Olsen got dumped because Martz is an idiot. I'm sure the Jags regret some of their other 1st rounders and not Lewis. Olsen is playing great for Carolina and played well for the terrible offenses the bears have put up. Olsen was even in a good value spot since he was the 31st pick in the 2007 draft for the Bears who had just went to the Super Bowl and were just looking to make small improvements to return, unfortunately Angelo screwed the pooch and the team went 7-9 instead.

I still agree its better to draft a TE after the 1st round, but if there is one good thing about 1st round TEs is that they virtually never bust. Maybe they aren't all Tony Gonzalez, but they almost always become consistent starters for many years. Its probably the surest 1st round pick you can make.

January 10th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2