View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lions Get Physical 
Walk On

Post Lions Get Physical
Lions' defense wants to be more physical at cornerback -- like Seahawks

The Seahawks advanced to the divisional round of the NFC playoffs thanks in part to one of the biggest, most physical secondaries in the league.

When the Lions shop for upgrades to the defensive backfield this off-season, it's something defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham would like to emulate.

"I'm used to some areas of the defense being very, very physical with size and strength on the back end," Cunningham said last month. "Everybody in the league knows that. So we've got to get better there, there's no doubt about it."

Big cornerbacks Sean Smith, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Antoine Cason are among a slew of cover men slated to become free agents in March, though it's far too early to say how involved or if the cap-strapped Lions will be in their pursuit.

Already, the Lions started moving in that direction, signing 6-foot-1 Ron Bartell late in the season and drafting 6-foot-plus corners Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green last year.

Green, a sixth-round pick, started five games and showed gradual improvement over the year; Greenwood, a fifth-rounder, spent the season on the physically unable to perform list following spring abdominal surgery.

"(Green) can drive the receiver. When he makes contact, the ball's coming out -- he has power and strength," Cunningham said. "One of the weight coaches said he needs to get stronger. Well, he's got natural strength. He's got a big body, a big frame, and he is a force when he hits you. And does well against the run.

"Greenwood is a long athlete, a lot like Nnamdi (Asomugha), that kind of guy, except he may be a much better athlete and faster, which is going to be hard to believe, but from what I've seen in street clothes and him moving and accelerating. The other thing he has going for him is he's really bright. He's really, really studying the game."

With that said, What F.A. Cb would like the Lions to grab? I'm liking D.R.C.

January 10th, 2013, 2:49 am
Pop Warner Vet

Post Re: Lions Get Physical
Sean Smith is the best of the 3, so I would say him

January 10th, 2013, 3:25 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DRC is anything but physical. He's Deion with half the skill set.

January 10th, 2013, 7:09 am
NFL Veteran

I would love to get either Smith or Cason. Cason isn't as strong as Smith, but he plays just as physical. Cason had as many tackles as Tulloch this season. The only thing is neither guy is the playmaker Mayhew was talking about needing on the defense. Both guys are only good for 2 INTs a year and maybe a FF. Really solid CBs though and probably be great when paired with a ball hawking safety.

January 10th, 2013, 9:44 am
Hall of Fame Player

I would prefer to draft a CB. It would cost less and he wouldn't come with preconceptions from another NFL team.

January 11th, 2013, 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]