View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 6:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How bad do we really want to replace Jahvid Best?... 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post How bad do we really want to replace Jahvid Best?...
The Steelers just waived Chris Rainey for his Bull****. He could be had for mad cheap, only problem is he's a thug.

Quote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2013/01/10/nfl-steelers-chris-rainey-arrested/1823665/The Pittsburgh Steelers cut

running back Chris Rainey several hours after he was arrested in Gainesville, Fla., on one count of simple battery (dating violence) Thursday morning following an argument with his girlfriend over his cell phone.

"Chris Rainey's actions this morning were extremely disappointing," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement Thursday afternoon. "Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

According to a press release from the Gainesville Police Department, Rainey, 24, began pulling the victim from the passenger side of his roommate's vehicle before witnesses observed him slap her across the face with an open hand. After the victim ran away, Rainey allegedly chased her down because his cell phone was in her bag and grabbed the bag, knocking both of them to the ground.

Officer Ben Tobias, spokesman for the Gainesville PD, said Rainey admitted to trying to grab the purse to get his phone but denied slapping her.

"We do have at least two witnesses that saw that part of it," he said.

Rainey told police that the woman fell out of the car when he went to reach for her purse and that he chased her after she ran away. The two fell to the ground, Rainey said, when he tried to grab the purse again.

BELL: Seau's death serves as reality check

Rainey, who has reportedly been dating the victim for nine months, was arrested by the Gainesville Police Department and taken to Alachua County Jail for booking.

The running back will remain in the Alachua County Jail at least until Friday morning when he will have a first appearance in court, Tobias said.

Rainey went to college in Gainesville, starring as a running back for the University of Florida football team before being selected by the Steelers in the fifth round of the 2012 NFL draft.

This isn't the first time Rainey has spent time in the Alachua County Jail in relation to his conduct with women. Rainey was arrested on a charge of felony aggravated stalking in September 2010 and accepted deferred prosecution for a lesser charge of misdemeanor stalking after he texted his on-again, off-again girlfriend of three years, "Time to Die bitch."

The victim supported the reduction in charges and released a statement following the conclusion of that case.

"We have known Chris Rainey for three years and never during that time has he displayed any violent or threatening behavior towards us or anyone," she wrote. "His actions that night were out of character for reasons unknown to us, which is why we stood up in court on his behalf."

As he was in 2010, Rainey is being represented by Gainesville attorney Huntley Johnson, who frequently represents current or former UF players in court.

Reached Thursday afternoon, Johnson said he had spoken with Rainey but could not provide comment at this time.

Rainey played a sporadic role in the Steelers backfield as a rookie this season, contributing mostly on special teams, where he returned 39 kicks for 1,035 yards as the team's primary kick returner.

Last edited by Killwill25 on January 10th, 2013, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 10th, 2013, 7:23 pm
Post Re: How bad do really want to replace Jahvid Best?...
I'd take him with the right conditions... I wonder if we can pick up his contract on waivers, keep his RFA status in 2 years, and get some "cheap" labor out of him for 2-4 seasons?

January 10th, 2013, 7:26 pm
RIP Killer

After last offseason y'all are crazy. Just say NO.

January 10th, 2013, 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
After last offseason y'all are crazy. Just say NO.

Ideally we'd get Chris Ivory for a 5th or so, but I don't think that's happening.

We need to plug holes, as long as he's not a pothead, I'd give a new brand of thug a chance, with the right training and monitoring.

January 10th, 2013, 7:33 pm

See Raineys problem is he isnt a QB that won a SB. Then he could have raped her too and hed still have a job.

:-k

January 10th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He fills 2 huge needs for us at RB and as a returner. Just give him a ton of incentives and still cut him if he F***s up. But the guy maybe even faster than Best and we don't have to draft another RB

January 10th, 2013, 11:53 pm
League MVP

Post Re: How bad do we really want to replace Jahvid Best?...
nah, you can find another guy like this coming out of college every year, Rainey is better than logan but is not that special. the lions should ve and could ve replaced logan long ago, probably last offseason after an ineffective 2011 season but they sat there and watch Logan fail in the preseason and throughout the regular season. Houston actually cut Trindon Holliday - you know the Bronco with 2 returns for TD yesterday - midseason but the Lions with a huge need for a return man to almost any casual fan didnt make a claim.

I dont view Rainey as a possible option at RB.

January 13th, 2013, 3:15 pm
The Legend wrote:
nah, you can find another guy like this coming out of college every year, Rainey is better than logan but is not that special. the lions should ve and could ve replaced logan long ago, probably last offseason after an ineffective 2011 season but they sat there and watch Logan fail in the preseason and throughout the regular season. Houston actually cut Trindon Holliday - you know the Bronco with 2 returns for TD yesterday - midseason but the Lions with a huge need for a return man to almost any casual fan didnt make a claim.

But, why waste a draft pick on a marginal player when Rainey is somewhat of a proven commodity that would come super cheap?

Rainey was the 7th best KR guy in the league last year by average or total yards. Stephan Logan was DEAD LAST. To me that seems to be a hell of an improvement, and Rainey as a 2nd year player will come much cheaper than Logan, who will be a 5th year player next season.

While you may not view Rainey as a RB, do you view Logan as a RB? We lined Logan up back there several times (and didn't do it more because of a lack of effectiveness), and we would use Rainey in a similar role, more akin to what we used Best for, but perhaps in an improved manner (meaning, less carries, and not getting the guy killed). Rainey averaged 6.4 yards per carry last year. I'd take it.

I realize the guy has issues, but at least they're not drugs, and at least they're not getting him suspended by the league. I'd make him do some mandatory anger management/therapy, sign him, cut Logan, save some coin, and get a better player out of the deal.

January 14th, 2013, 1:16 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

But, why waste a draft pick on a marginal player when Rainey is somewhat of a proven commodity that would come super cheap?

Rainey was the 7th best KR guy in the league last year by average or total yards. Stephan Logan was DEAD LAST. To me that seems to be a hell of an improvement, and Rainey as a 2nd year player will come much cheaper than Logan, who will be a 5th year player next season.

While you may not view Rainey as a RB, do you view Logan as a RB? We lined Logan up back there several times (and didn't do it more because of a lack of effectiveness), and we would use Rainey in a similar role, more akin to what we used Best for, but perhaps in an improved manner (meaning, less carries, and not getting the guy killed). Rainey averaged 6.4 yards per carry last year. I'd take it.

I realize the guy has issues, but at least they're not drugs, and at least they're not getting him suspended by the league. I'd make him do some mandatory anger management/therapy, sign him, cut Logan, save some coin, and get a better player out of the deal.

Exactly. He got arrested and cut, that by no means mean we don't snatch him, get some return production out of him, and if he gets in any type of trouble have the option to release him.

Justin Miller was a very good returnman in the past, why don't we activate him and put him back there to have a electric returnman and an extra body in the secondary? Logan averaged 1 carry per game at most.

January 14th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Justin Miller was a very good returnman in the past, why don't we activate him and put him back there to have a electric returnman and an extra body in the secondary?

Justin Miller has the coverage skills of Nick Harris. It's hard to even consider him a CB

January 14th, 2013, 9:14 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Lol I view Logan as washed up. He was worth signing when we first got him but then he only had a year of quality play left. Im not advocating Logan and I agree Rainey is a better player than him. Im not saying to use a draft pick either. I think they can find an undrafted guy or use someone like Patrick Edwards who the Lions already have and actually returns punts where the bigger problem is as Logan fumbled 6 punts this season. Rainey isnt good enough to replace Best so there is a lot of false security going on if thats part of the plan but slapping his girlfriend in public or whatever he did - I dont view that as a break for the Lions. Steelers are improving by subtraction and the Lions would be adding another clown who BTW is the brother of "He Hate Me" and cousin of Freddie Mitchell. Hoping the Lions look elsewhere.

January 14th, 2013, 9:17 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

We lost the PR battle last year with all of those embarrassing arrests. Why tempt fate?

January 14th, 2013, 11:01 pm

does this change anything?

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125142/article/chris-raineys-girlfriend-says-no-assault-took-place

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Christopher Rainey's girlfriend says she was not assaulted, and that the state of Florida should drop the battery charge against him.

That's according to Rainey's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, who read an email from the woman during a bond hearing Friday. The Gainesville Sun posted video of the hearing on its website.

Gainesville police charged Rainey with simple battery Thursday after an alleged altercation with his girlfriend. Police say the two were arguing over Rainey's cellphone, and that when his girlfriend got into a vehicle, the ex-Florida Gator tried to pull her out. Witnesses told detectives that Rainey slapped his girlfriend across the face and then chased her when she ran away with his phone in her purse.

The girlfriend's email said the witnesses were mistaken, and Johnson pointed out that officers found no marks on the woman's face.

Rainey, who was cut by the Steelers after his arrest, was released after the hearing but ordered not to have any contact with his girlfriend.

Keep in mind that fact that we desperatley NEED a few cheap fixes since our FO ran our budget into the ground

January 18th, 2013, 9:55 pm
Modmin Dude

Killwill25 wrote:

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125142/article/chris-raineys-girlfriend-says-no-assault-took-place

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Christopher Rainey's girlfriend says she was not assaulted, and that the state of Florida should drop the battery charge against him.

That's according to Rainey's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, who read an email from the woman during a bond hearing Friday. The Gainesville Sun posted video of the hearing on its website.

Gainesville police charged Rainey with simple battery Thursday after an alleged altercation with his girlfriend. Police say the two were arguing over Rainey's cellphone, and that when his girlfriend got into a vehicle, the ex-Florida Gator tried to pull her out. Witnesses told detectives that Rainey slapped his girlfriend across the face and then chased her when she ran away with his phone in her purse.

The girlfriend's email said the witnesses were mistaken, and Johnson pointed out that officers found no marks on the woman's face.

Rainey, who was cut by the Steelers after his arrest, was released after the hearing but ordered not to have any contact with his girlfriend.

Keep in mind that fact that we desperatley NEED a few cheap fixes since our FO ran our budget into the ground

From what I understand, no player can be officially cut until the new league year starts, which means Rainey is still a Steeler.....

January 18th, 2013, 10:43 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Quote:

From what I understand, no player can be officially cut until the new league year starts, which means Rainey is still a Steeler.....

I don't think that's true (I don't see why it would be). You can terminate a contract at any time, and the Steelers did formally say that Rainey is no longer a Steeler. FWIW, they sounded so strong in their convictions that I don't think this latest story would change things much.

Also, I'm wondering if we can just claim him on waivers unstead of signing him outright? That's the play I'd like to make if it were possible.

Further, if you can't sign FAs until March 4th or w/e it is, how the heck did we sign Devon Thomas recently?

January 20th, 2013, 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next