View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How bad do we really want to replace Jahvid Best?... 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: How bad do we really want to replace Jahvid Best?...
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
does this change anything?

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125142/article/chris-raineys-girlfriend-says-no-assault-took-place

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Christopher Rainey's girlfriend says she was not assaulted, and that the state of Florida should drop the battery charge against him.

That's according to Rainey's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, who read an email from the woman during a bond hearing Friday. The Gainesville Sun posted video of the hearing on its website.

Gainesville police charged Rainey with simple battery Thursday after an alleged altercation with his girlfriend. Police say the two were arguing over Rainey's cellphone, and that when his girlfriend got into a vehicle, the ex-Florida Gator tried to pull her out. Witnesses told detectives that Rainey slapped his girlfriend across the face and then chased her when she ran away with his phone in her purse.

The girlfriend's email said the witnesses were mistaken, and Johnson pointed out that officers found no marks on the woman's face.

Rainey, who was cut by the Steelers after his arrest, was released after the hearing but ordered not to have any contact with his girlfriend.

Keep in mind that fact that we desperatley NEED a few cheap fixes since our FO ran our budget into the ground

From what I understand, no player can be officially cut until the new league year starts, which means Rainey is still a Steeler.....

I don't think that's true (I don't see why it would be). You can terminate a contract at any time, and the Steelers did formally say that Rainey is no longer a Steeler. FWIW, they sounded so strong in their convictions that I don't think this latest story would change things much.

Also, I'm wondering if we can just claim him on waivers unstead of signing him outright? That's the play I'd like to make if it were possible.

Further, if you can't sign FAs until March 4th or w/e it is, how the heck did we sign Devon Thomas recently?

The last ESPN article that mentioned Rainey did say that Rainey is set to be released once they are able to do so. Since Thomas was a FA before the end of the season that could be why they were able to sign him right now or it could be that they just have an agreement in place.

January 21st, 2013, 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2