View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Detroit Lions sign Devin Thomas 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Detroit Lions sign Devin Thomas
No official announcement has been made, but it appears the Detroit Lions have signed wide receiver Devin Thomas. This is based on the following tweet from Thomas.

Thomas played at Michigan State in college and is from Ann Arbor. He was a second-round pick of the Washington Redskins back in 2008, but he spent less than three seasons with them. In 2010, after being let go by the Redskins, he moved on to the Carolina Panthers and New York Giants. He was active for all 16 games with the Giants in 2011, and he had a pair of fumble recoveries in the NFC Championship Game, including the one that set up the game-winning field goal. He earned a Super Bowl ring with the Giants beating the New England Patriots.

Last offseason, Thomas signed with the Chicago Bears. Shockingly, he decided to retire in August. The move came out of nowhere and seemed very strange considering Thomas was only 25 years old at the time.

Obviously, Thomas has since unretired, and now he is set to join the Lions, a team in need of help at wide receiver. He only has a total of 43 catches for 482 yards receiving and 3 touchdowns in his career, but he seems like a player who could have a shot at making the 53-man roster next season.

January 17th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Post Re: Detroit Lions sign Devin Thomas
Good signing IMO. He's probably the only guy that we could have signed for what we'd save by cutting Nate (or close... he'll still probably cost us a little more than the $500k we could get if we do cut Nate, but saving that pittance, we may as well keep the guy, even if he is boarder-line worthless.

January 17th, 2013, 7:00 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Thomas played at Michigan State in college and is from Ann Arbor.

It is so nice to see someone turn their life around... :lol:

January 17th, 2013, 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Go Green!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 17th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

He's a bum. He probably won't make the 2013 team. Who cares?

January 17th, 2013, 9:15 pm
QB Coach

Yeah me and my Redskins fan friends always hated this pick when the Skins made it. They took this kid at the top of the second round, he did absolutely nothing for them and they could have had DeSean Jackson who went 15 picks later (after the Skins had again picked, but this time it was Fred Davis). He's been on more teams than he has TDs or seasons in the NFL. Doubt he'll amount to much, but who knows? Maybe being back in Michigan will turn him around and he can be a #4WR/KR.

January 17th, 2013, 9:29 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Yeah me and my Redskins fan friends always hated this pick when the Skins made it. They took this kid at the top of the second round, he did absolutely nothing for them and they could have had DeSean Jackson who went 15 picks later (after the Skins had again picked, but this time it was Fred Davis). He's been on more teams than he has TDs or seasons in the NFL. Doubt he'll amount to much, but who knows? Maybe being back in Michigan will turn him around and he can be a #4WR/KR.

I figure he'd be more of a KR/PR guy, but if he still has his speed they'll find room for him. Logan just looks sllloooowwwww...

January 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm
QB Coach

I'll give him that, he is fast and he's young. He was undoubtedly brought on to try his hand again at special teams. But, he's never taken one to the house (at least in the regular season - think he's had 1 or 2 in the pre-season) and never returned punts. There may be a story in the offseason but I don't think he'll make the roster. I think we have to replace Logan, but dunno that this is the move that does it.

January 17th, 2013, 9:43 pm
League MVP

is this signing supposed to replace kassim osgood? i thought osgood did a nice job this season, definitely better than maurice stovall was in the same role. maybe thomas is just competition or an addition but he was a very good STer for the Giants

January 17th, 2013, 11:49 pm
National Champion

Pablo wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Thomas played at Michigan State in college and is from Ann Arbor.

It is so nice to see someone turn their life around... :lol:

It is nice. Too bad this guy is NOT an example of that!

GO BLUE!

January 18th, 2013, 8:25 am
The Legend wrote:
is this signing supposed to replace kassim osgood? i thought osgood did a nice job this season, definitely better than maurice stovall was in the same role. maybe thomas is just competition or an addition but he was a very good STer for the Giants

I think it's' more along the lines of replacing Logan. He was horrible, and he'll be a tenured 5 year vet (going into his 6th season I believe)... The minimum salary for a vet is around $1 million, I think. I believe he's a cheaper, better alternative that doesn't cost us a draft pick.

Maybe he was a prior "wish list" player of our new ST guy? Or maybe he's just going to save us some coin. Either way, I welcome his presence, esp. if it means we're finally done with Logan.

January 18th, 2013, 9:52 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I think it's' more along the lines of replacing Logan. He was horrible, and he'll be a tenured 5 year vet (going into his 6th season I believe)... The minimum salary for a vet is around $1 million, I think. I believe he's a cheaper, better alternative that doesn't cost us a draft pick.

Maybe he was a prior "wish list" player of our new ST guy? Or maybe he's just going to save us some coin. Either way, I welcome his presence, esp. if it means we're finally done with Logan.

Thomas is better on kick coverage than as a return man

January 18th, 2013, 10:05 am
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I totally understand that, but IMO this team is dying to replace Logan (see the Mike Thomas trade), but for whatever reason, they haven't been able to do it yet.

January 18th, 2013, 10:09 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Maybe he was a prior "wish list" player of our new ST guy?

Well, since we have not hired the guy yet, and I haven't even heard any rumors that we have even talked to anyone about the job yet, That probably isn't the case.

January 18th, 2013, 10:10 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I totally understand that, but IMO this team is dying to replace Logan (see the Mike Thomas trade), but for whatever reason, they haven't been able to do it yet.

They should be dying to replace Logan but they havent shown much motivation to do so, failing to switch gears until week 17. maybe Devin Thomas will get a shot to return some kicks but I think they re going to have to find someone better to be the return man.

January 18th, 2013, 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next