View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Likely 1/June Cuts. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Likely 1/June Cuts.
Quote:
Morton could be released by Chiefs

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

While June 1 figures to be extremely quiet this year, there are still some players who will be released and available. Here are the top players (in order of the amount of interest they would draw) expected to be on the market after June 1:

? Scott Gragg, right tackle, 49ers: He was probably the first player to learn he was going to be cut June 1. Coach Mike Nolan told him not to show up in any of the team's offseason activities so he didn't get hurt before his release. The Lions and Jets might look at him.

? Lance Schulters, safety, Titans: Even though they'd love to bring him back, the Titans will save $2.75 million of cap room with his release. The Falcons, Cowboys and Packers are lining up to contact him once he hits the open market.

? Rod Gardner, wide receiver, Redskins: The former first-round choice has been shopped in trades all offseason without success. The Redskins will release him when they need the cap room to sign their draft choices, but that might not be in the first week of June.

? Koren Robinson, wide receiver, Seahawks: Robinson, despite his dropped passes and off-field troubles, is ticketed to come to training camp and compete for a starting job. But the Seahawks might need Robinson's $1.35 million salary if they decide to sign defensive end Peter Boulware.

? Kenyatta Walker, tackle, Tampa Bay: The Bucs might want to try to keep him on the roster, so don't expect anything fast here. If a few players don't restructure their contracts, the Bucs might need his $2.5 million to sign their draft choices.

? Johnnie Morton, wide receiver, Chiefs: His refusal to take a pay cut from $3 million puts him on the June 1 list. He still has time to say yes to the reduced salary, but the Chiefs told him not to show up for recent training sessions unless he takes the cut.

? Bobby Taylor, cornerback, Seahawks: Taylor has been replaced as the Seahawks' third cornerback, and chances that he would be moved to safety ended with the Seahawks' plans to sign Bucs safety John Howell in June. Taylor has a bad knee that might hurt him on the open market.

? Mike Barrow, linebacker, Redskins: The Redskins might wait a few weeks before cutting him to give him a chance to get his knee right and be available for training camp. He hasn't done anything this offseason because of the knee, but if it's not right soon, he will be cut for cap purposes.

? Kyle Turley, right tackle, Rams: Back problems sidelined him last season, and his public spat with Rams coach Mike Martz that almost turned physical sealed his fate in St. Louis. Unless he's back to 300 pounds, he might sit on the market for a while.

? Rich Gannon, quarterback, Raiders: There is no future here. He's expected to retire because of neck problems. Unfortunately for the Raiders, he will save them only $765,000 because he took a pay cut to help them back in February.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

For all intents and purposes you could add to this list offensive lineman L.J. Shelton who was released by Arizona last week. The former first-round pick out of Eastern Michigan started 77 of 82 games in six seasons with Arizona.

I like Lance Shulters from this list and maybe Kyle Turley or L.J. Shelton.

If you'd have known Gannon would be available would you have signed Garcia?

It's Summer shopping time - Who do you like for the Lions?

May 26th, 2005, 12:18 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

I would like to see the Lions go after Lance Schulters if they could afford him. I'm a big supporter of Terrence Holt (I think that straight-line speed is highly overrated in the safety position), but let's face it: we have a big question mark at the safety position along with Fernando "I think I'll let this Minnesota wide receiver get up and run an extra 40 yards instead of just touching him while he's down" Bryant.

May 26th, 2005, 2:48 am
Bubbles the Lion

If healthy, I would have liked to have Gannon. He was my choice from the start. As for the rest. Gotta save the money for Law. If healthy, he makes us immediate contenders. Bly and Law on the corner Bryant at Nickel, Smith at Dime or FS backup. Our D would almost be complete. If one of the linemen steps it up or Cody can rush opposite Hall. We are good to go.

May 26th, 2005, 8:58 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If Kenyatta can play RT, then I'd like for us to try and get him if he is available.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 26th, 2005, 9:51 am
Junior Varsity

Ahhh, what the hell...let's go after Robinson and Gardner. Can you have a 7 recievr set including a Tight End? hat16.gif

May 26th, 2005, 2:53 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I, like most of you all, lean towards Schulters from this list...he provides us with a solid secondary of veterans and gives us depth with our young players.

I do believe that the most serious run would be taken at Ty Law, since we could probably(i'm no cap expert) load his contract with incentives based on how he performs or how much he plays given his injury which would probably make him a cheaper signing in the long run. There are also talks of trying Keith Smith out as a backup FS if Law is signed.

With the money and interest Schulters will command we would have to basically name him a starter since he will have that chance with other teams who need him as well.

May 26th, 2005, 3:22 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

? Scott Gragg, right tackle, 49ers: He was probably the first player to learn he was going to be cut June 1. Coach Mike Nolan told him not to show up in any of the team's offseason activities so he didn't get hurt before his release. The Lions and Jets might look at him.

I was interested to see that Detroit might look at Gragg. (Detroit seems to want all of S.F.s strugling O-Line. hat16.gif j/k.)

I've always really liked Gragg (32 or 33, something like a 10 or 11 year vet). But he's definatly in his decline. He strugled last year, although if he would have had more talent around him it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. When Nolan saw that cutting him would save $3 mil against the cap, a move that would single handedly make room for all eleven draft picks, there was no question about it.

If the Lions could get him at or around the vet min. I'd say he's still very much worth that price (maybe just a tad more). I'd say he's either a boarder line starter or a very high quality backup at this point. I could see him being an asset to the Lions for the next few years. Not a "big move" though, and shouldn't cost "big money" IMO.

May 26th, 2005, 6:41 pm
RIP Killer

When Nolan saw that cutting him would save $3 mil against the cap, a move that would single handedly make room for all eleven draft picks, there was no question about it.

That could be the case if the Niners picked somewhere near #30...but they have to sign Alex Smith, the #1 overall pick...who's represented by Tom Condon...the tool who represented Eli Manning and got him signed to the largest contract for a #1 overall pick.

Either way, $3M was way too much to be paying Gragg. I would be quick shocked if the Lions were to take a serious look at him outside of bringing him in for a workout.

Last edited by conversion02 on May 27th, 2005, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2005, 7:15 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

When I wrote "single handedly" I meant that, that move in addition to where they already were cap wise would get everyone signed. At any rate that's just what I read. I can't claim to have hard numbers for you one way or the other.

I think Gragg is still well worth having for the right price, which is no where near $3 mil.

May 26th, 2005, 9:45 pm
RIP Killer

Oh no, I knew what you were saying. I just wanted to make a point that Smith has Condon as his agent and he's asking for a 25% increase of Eli's contract as a starting block for Smith's negotiations. For the Niners sake, I hope they don't sign a contract for that much. That would make me sick.

May 26th, 2005, 10:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

For the Niners sake, I hope they don't sign a contract for that much.

For all of our sakes. If agents think that they can ask for the moon for unproven high draft picks, it will hurt anyone who picks top ten. Fouruantly for us, we won't be picking that high for a long time. :lol:

May 27th, 2005, 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]