View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Free Agency splash 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Free Agency splash
sweetd20 wrote:
For those that want pure speed on the outside to take the top off of a defense Heyward-Bey was just released.

Wjb's gonna be ecstatic about his. DHB fits every single thing he wants in a #2, and more

March 12th, 2013, 8:56 pm
QB Coach

sweetd20 wrote:
Hixon is a china doll that is likely looking for more upfront money in terms of a bigger signing bonus because he knows he is more than likely to get hurt. My cousin is a Giants fan and I remember seeing Hixon play in one of his first games and really liking the kid but then it seemed like every time I watched them he was either getting hurt or already hurt. He is a #3 or #4 that in a pinch can be a #2.

If only he could catch...

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

March 12th, 2013, 9:00 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

mlive.com wrote:
CB Chris Houston working on a three-year deal with Detroit Lions
Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on March 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Detroit Lions cornerback Chris Houston wanted to test the free agency market, but it appears he has seen enough.

Houston and the Lions are currently working on a three-year deal for the cornerback to remain in Detroit, according to YAHOO! Sports' Jason Cole. He earned $3 million last season, but it is unclear how much money Houston is seeking through free agency.

If Houston is re-signs, Detroit's cornerback situation would be settled heading into the 2013 season. Lions cornerback Bill Bentley is currently recovering from a season-ending shoulder injury, but should be ready to play this year. Detroit will also have Jonte Green and Chris Greenwood as backups.

"Corners are tough to find in the NFL," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "Chris started off the season hurt. He had an ankle sprain coming into the regular season and missed the first couple of games. You realize how much you miss a guy when a guy is not out on the field, but Chris this year added some things to his resume that he really didn't have before. There were a few games that he matched number one wide receivers. Guys like Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and people like that.
"He's played some quality football for us, and has worked on some of the things early in his career that have been weaknesses." - Jim Schwartz

"That was something we had never really used him for, and he had never really done before. He's played some quality football for us, and has worked on some of the things early in his career that have been weaknesses. He's a vet, he's a pro, and he's a guy that's been productive for us. "

If Houston re-signs, Detroit has an opportunity to solidify its secondary when Houston Texans free agent safety Glover Quin visits Allen Park tomorrow. If Quin signs, and strong safety Amari Spievey can stay healthy, Detroit's secondary will be set very early in free agency.

Houston has started in 42 of the 43 games he has appeared in since joining Detroit in 2010. He has missed only five games during that time span.

Last season, Houston had 56 tackles, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and 11 pass breakups. ProFootballFocus.com ranks Houston 16th among players at that same position, plus opposing quarterbacks had a 78.7 QB rating when facing Houston in coverage.

March 12th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Hixon is a china doll that is likely looking for more upfront money in terms of a bigger signing bonus because he knows he is more than likely to get hurt. My cousin is a Giants fan and I remember seeing Hixon play in one of his first games and really liking the kid but then it seemed like every time I watched them he was either getting hurt or already hurt. He is a #3 or #4 that in a pinch can be a #2.

That's actually an overstatement he has made great strides since his rookie year. His downfall is the same as just about every Lion WR that has put on a uni the last 10+ years, his route running is less than impressive. Two of the worst WRs last year as far as drop rate were Calvin and Marshall. He's not my first choice but for what he should cost he might be the mot cost effective option. He has averaged nearly 15 ypc and 75% of his receptions have been for a first down or TD.

March 12th, 2013, 9:32 pm
NFL Veteran

sweetd20 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

That's actually an overstatement he has made great strides since his rookie year. His downfall is the same as just about every Lion WR that has put on a uni the last 10+ years, his route running is less than impressive. Two of the worst WRs last year as far as drop rate were Calvin and Marshall. He's not my first choice but for what he should cost he might be the mot cost effective option. He has averaged nearly 15 ypc and 75% of his receptions have been for a first down or TD.

To be fair CJ and Marshall are targeted way too much and even when they aren't open, but I agree Hixon has good enough hands. Hixon has actually caught 60.7% of his targets over his career. That's a good percentage for a guy that can't catch.

March 12th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I miss read what post was quoted of mine, I was actually referring to Heyward-Bey when talking about the drops. As far as Hixon as I said I do like him but he's fragile.

March 12th, 2013, 9:55 pm
QB Coach

I figured your comments were about DHB but I didn't want to step in until you said something. He's been getting a little better, but he's got small hands, a point that was brought up at the combine, so he has some trouble. He is a burner though and he went to Maryland so I gotta love him. He could be a good deep threat on the cheap if he's still sitting out there in a few days.

March 12th, 2013, 10:05 pm
NFL Veteran

Yeah you two are both right about DHB not being able to catch. He's below 50% for his career and was at 50% last season. Guy is a terrible receiver, but could be a good decoy if he's cheap. Even if the defense doesn't think he can catch they still can't let him run free without safety help over the top.

The Raider that they should really look at is Huff, he can play both CB and safety better than anyone the Lions have had recently.

March 12th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I don't want to keep harping on this because I'm not a huge Heyward-Bey fan but his drop rate has significantly decreased every season and was improving last year until he was laid out and it took time to get his confidence back. There is a difference between drop rate and looking at targets and catches. If you look at the latter Calvin wouldn't be a very impressive option either. Drop rate which Calvin was one the worst last season is looking at catchable balls that the WR catches and drops. In other words if a WR was thrown 100 catchable passes and drops 10, he drops one out of ten catchable passes.

March 12th, 2013, 10:33 pm
NFL Veteran

sweetd20 wrote:
I don't want to keep harping on this because I'm not a huge Heyward-Bey fan but his drop rate has significantly decreased every season and was improving last year until he was laid out and it took time to get his confidence back. There is a difference between drop rate and looking at targets and catches. If you look at the latter Calvin wouldn't be a very impressive option either. Drop rate which Calvin was one the worst last season is looking at catchable balls that the WR catches and drops. In other words if a WR was thrown 100 catchable passes and drops 10, he drops one out of ten catchable passes.

I don't have a subscription to premium stats so I can't look at drop rates. Gotta use what ya got.

March 12th, 2013, 10:55 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
So, now Pilly has released it's starting corners, seems like they could go corner with their 1st pick.

Very true. Our luck the Jags or Raiders take Fisher. ](*,)
I don't see the Raiders going anything other than QB with their 1st round pick. They don't have a 2nd round pick. And they have to get Palmer's replacement.

March 12th, 2013, 11:00 pm
QB Coach

sweetd20 wrote:
I miss read what post was quoted of mine, I was actually referring to Heyward-Bey when talking about the drops. As far as Hixon as I said I do like him but he's fragile.

My comment was meant to be about DHB as well. I wrote it from my phone and must have clicked on the wrong reply button.

Regardless, he does not catch well. I remember reading an article written after he was on the Raiders that had quotes from some anonymous raiders coaches saying they were shocked that he didn't know how to catch. As in, when they ran some drills with him, they realized that he pretty much got by on raw athleticism is college, but really knew very little about playing wide receiver and actually catching the ball properly.

Needless to say he's not a guy I'd want.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

March 13th, 2013, 12:44 am
RIP Killer

Can't be worse than a guy intentionally trying to f$&@ the team over by running the wrong routes and being a complete loser on and off the field...

March 13th, 2013, 12:46 am

conversion02 wrote:
Can't be worse than a guy intentionally trying to f$&@ the team over by running the wrong routes and being a complete loser on and off the field...

:lol:

March 13th, 2013, 3:52 am
Butkus Award Winner

Vikings just cut Winfield. Anyone else think he could make a very good strong safety?

March 13th, 2013, 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next