HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Free Agency splash
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16518
Page 14 of 17

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 14th, 2013, 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

rao wrote:
What a load of poop. Reggie has had only two contracts before this one and one was his rookie deal. How the hell can you tell if he plays harder only on contract years when he was hurt the year before he went to Miami?

Reggie proved in Miami he has not lost a step by continuing his same play he has had since his 2009 season.


Player's that do this crap tend to do it habitually. It's not surprising that he had all sorts of health troubles while he was on a 6 year deal, and then he suddenly gets healthy when he's on a short-term deal. You can call it coincidence, I don't believe in coincidences.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 14th, 2013, 6:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

rao wrote:
JL wrote:
Shotty wrote:
JL wrote:
Ugh. I've seen some comments about maybe signing Darrius Heyward-Bey. NO thank you. I wouldn't want a speedy outside receiver with stone hands at any price. Had too many of those on the team already.


His hands aren't as bad as they're thought to be, and he's not just speedy, the guy is faster than Jahvid Best was. Add the fact that he'd be up against number 2 corners every down and have to beat out the other guy to start, and signing him would only be good if he comes cheap.


"Not as bad as they are thought to be" still doesn't make him worth much, in my opinion. DHB may be fast, but he won't be dangerous enough for a team to alter their coverage of CJ in critical situations. DHB is the kind of guy that gets single coverage, because even if he gets some highlight-reel catches, he's more apt to drop a ball during crunch time. Because of that, the QB won't really look at him if the team is trying to get a tying or winning score. It's just not worth the risk to throw a crucial 3rd-down pass only to see it clank off DHB's hands.


Not that I'm pro signing DHB because I think he'll be to expensive, but DHB will get a safety over top a good chunk of the time because even a guy with bad hands in the NFL can still catch the ball enough to be dangerous. There is no way a DC just lets DHB beat his CB over and over again because he thinks he has bad hands. He was a former #1 WR he still has to be accounted for.


I agree...

Author:  BillySims [ March 14th, 2013, 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
$4M/yr is a good deal for a starting RB with his versatility and the way it's structured is great also. This offense was incredibly good with Best and a bad online, I can't see how it's not going to be good with Bush.

Getting Bush without putting to much hurt on their small amount of cap space was a big win in my eyes.


I disagree... What's the over/under as to how many games Bush is going to be healthy for? 10? I'll take the under for a buck... Further, I don't think Bush is going to be able to do what Best did here. He's not as fast, period.


Nice job ignoring his last two years in Miami. He has missed 1 game in the last two seasons while not only running between the tackles, but also having his career highs in attempts in a season.

Where the hell do you get Bush isn't as fast as Best? Bush timed a touch faster in the 40 and both his vert and broad jump blew away Best's. Bush just turned 28 and is still in his physical prime. You have no way to say the guy isn't just as fast and he was used in NO the same way the Lions wanted to use Best.


I'm sorry, but no one's "physical prime" is in their late 20's, unless they're on some sort of enhancement drugs.

Reggie Bush had a 6 year deal with the Saints, he wasn't healthy for any but the last and final year which he played in Miami. He was shockingly healthy in Miami under his short-term deals in his short stay there, and he now has a 4 year deal to rest on...

What do you think we're going to see? The short-term contract Bush, or the long-term contract Bush? I'm going with the latter... History has a funny way of repeating itself.


Sorry should have said football prime. He's at the end of it but his contract is cutable.

What kind of BS are you trying to put out there now? How does his contract length have any effect on his injuries?



Really? BS? Because there has never been a player that can only seem to stay healthy when his payday is right around the corner... Dood, you're blind.

Reggie dogs it when he's under contract and picks it up when he's ready to earn his next deal. That's what he did for Miami, and we're his "next deal..."

A player or runner's speed peaks around 25. Reggie is definitely slower at 28, with an added 15-20lbs on him, than he was at 23. Sorry, that much is a fact.

I do believe that Best would currently whoop Reggie in the 40, and beat him by an even wider margin to in a 10 and 20 yard dash, which is what is ultimately important behind the LOS.


As in CJ dogs it? OHHHHH I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Author:  BillySims [ March 14th, 2013, 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

Would it be too greedy of me to hope that we land Greg Jennings?

Author:  conversion02 [ March 14th, 2013, 7:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

Yes, way too greedy.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 14th, 2013, 7:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

BillySims wrote:
As in CJ dogs it? OHHHHH I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.


Stupid

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 14th, 2013, 7:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

conversion02 wrote:
Yes, way too greedy.


Agreed

Author:  liontrax [ March 14th, 2013, 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

Just heard Bennett signed with Seattle.

Author:  regularjoe12 [ March 14th, 2013, 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

liontrax wrote:
Just heard Bennett signed with Seattle.



Dang, how much money do they have over there?

Author:  conversion02 [ March 14th, 2013, 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

Wow, so much for Avril's PT

Author:  inheritedlionsfan [ March 14th, 2013, 8:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

liontrax wrote:
Just heard Bennett signed with Seattle.


So they added Avril for 2 years, Bennett for 1 @ $5mil, they've got Irvin and Clemons (who I'm guessing gets the axe now). Gonna be a nice stable of pass rushers there.

I wonder if we're gonna add a vet DE once the market softens even more. These deals the DEs are getting are cheap. Seattle is paying $20M for 3 years worth of pass rush. We could probably get Dumervil if he gets cut or Freeney or Abraham for a decent deal

Author:  sweetd20 [ March 14th, 2013, 8:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

As I said in the Percy thread, Pete knows he has two maybe three years before they have to pay or lose their young players and he retires. He is one of the oldest HCs in the league and knows the window is small. They are in the spend now to win now mode.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 14th, 2013, 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Just heard Bennett signed with Seattle.


So they added Avril for 2 years, Bennett for 1 @ $5mil, they've got Irvin and Clemons (who I'm guessing gets the axe now). Gonna be a nice stable of pass rushers there.

I wonder if we're gonna add a vet DE once the market softens even more. These deals the DEs are getting are cheap. Seattle is paying $20M for 3 years worth of pass rush. We could probably get Dumervil if he gets cut or Freeney or Abraham for a decent deal


I'd like to know where we are with cap space. I really doubt we'll be able to afford someone decent.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ March 14th, 2013, 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

regularjoe12 wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Just heard Bennett signed with Seattle.



Dang, how much money do they have over there?


Helps when your probowl QB earns as much as Ricardo Silva.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ March 14th, 2013, 8:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Free Agency splash

thelomasbrowns wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Just heard Bennett signed with Seattle.



Dang, how much money do they have over there?


Helps when your probowl QB earns as much as Ricardo Silva.


It also helps when your top player earns $8.5 million dollars, and your next two highest players earn $7million each... Compare that $22.5 million for all three guys to our ridiculous scenario and you see why we're in cap hell and they're enjoying the benefits of their fiscal responsibility.

Page 14 of 17 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/