View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 FA Day II 
Walk On

Post Re: FA Day II
JL wrote:
If the Lions bring back LoJack and Willie Young, I would like to see them sign Ansah out of Brigham Young. He's got talent, a high ceiling, and could learn well from the coaches and play a nice role as a situational pass rusher.

Avril was a good player, but that's *all* he's been. A good, steady player. He wanted at least $10 million a year, and that wasn't going to happen. Avril didn't do anything in 2012 to show that it was a good idea for him to play on the franchise tag and increase his value. He was, and still is, a solid player that will make some plays, but he certainly doesn't strike the same fear into the hearts of opponents as would a JJ Watt or Jean Pierre-Paul.

Mayhew was correct when he stated that the Lions had a lot of players that would line up correctly and play well, but what the Lions need are players that can make a difference. I don't see Avril making that kind of a difference here, or in Seattle.

That and the fact that he took a contract that is less that what he turned down last year from the Lions shows that even Avril (or at least the rest of the NFL) understands he's not all that and a bag of chips.

Mark my words, Seattle will be asking Cliff to take a paycut on his second year or get cut. He'll refuse and cower back to Detroit an get a 1 year prove yourself contract.

Draft the BLACK MAMBA!! Ducks #6

March 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Mufasa wrote:
JL wrote:
If the Lions bring back LoJack and Willie Young, I would like to see them sign Ansah out of Brigham Young. He's got talent, a high ceiling, and could learn well from the coaches and play a nice role as a situational pass rusher.

Avril was a good player, but that's *all* he's been. A good, steady player. He wanted at least $10 million a year, and that wasn't going to happen. Avril didn't do anything in 2012 to show that it was a good idea for him to play on the franchise tag and increase his value. He was, and still is, a solid player that will make some plays, but he certainly doesn't strike the same fear into the hearts of opponents as would a JJ Watt or Jean Pierre-Paul.

Mayhew was correct when he stated that the Lions had a lot of players that would line up correctly and play well, but what the Lions need are players that can make a difference. I don't see Avril making that kind of a difference here, or in Seattle.

That and the fact that he took a contract that is less that what he turned down last year from the Lions shows that even Avril (or at least the rest of the NFL) understands he's not all that and a bag of chips.

Mark my words, Seattle will be asking Cliff to take a paycut on his second year or get cut. He'll refuse and cower back to Detroit an get a 1 year prove yourself contract.

Agreed. We offered him home town support with a great contract and he went his own way, and it will blow up in his face when he has a pathetic showing against the run and gets pushed around like a girl against the better tackles, and LOL he will finish with 5 sacks at most if he's moved to right end, where Clemons played. He will learn soon enough.

March 14th, 2013, 12:28 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Kinda mad Avril signed for so cheap. Again I wonder what our final offer was to him this year, if we made one. We still need at least one starter at DE. I have a feeling we're looking at Ansah at 5 now.

I wouldn't have minded if we signed him for what he's making last year, this year, I'm not so sure... IMO the cap space can be better used elsewhere.

March 14th, 2013, 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8