View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Backus Retires 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Backus Retires
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
It is easy to sit back as a fan and take a long term look at a team. It is another thing to have your million dollar job at risk in the short run if your team doesn't perform well over the course of 16 games.

Very few coaches in this league can afford to take a hard, long-term look at their clubs. Those that can obviously have a huge advantage over the majority of teams in the NFL.

The problem with this is, Mayhew had a blank check and key to the City for his first four years, he had no worries, but he threw that away. He could have set the team up for long-term success, but he chose a method that led to a flash in the pan, putting himself on the hotseat.

We lost whatever success and momentum we had in 2011 with the 2012 offseason. You could say that Mayhew chose a "conservative" approach and brought back the same team, but what he really did was failed to manage that team in every respect. He didn't manage the personnel, he didn't manage the salary cap, and he didn't manage the coaches. He quite literally chose "non-management" as his management strategy, and that's flat out ridiculous. His antics last offseason literally set this team back 2-3 years. That's inexcusable.

I Read this Article the other day, and it rang true for me vs Mayhews thoughts about 2011->2012 Offseason, so I dug it Up.

Quote:
Although the 2013 Baltimore Ravens will have a different look than last season's Super Bowl champions, coach John Harbaugh seems to be taking the changes in stride, telling the NFL Network that it's impossible for a team to stay the same in today's NFL.

"The worst mistake you can make is trying to hold a team together," Harbaugh said in the interview from the NFL's owners meetings in Phoenix, which aired Monday. "It's impossible."

He cited advice he received from the late Bo Schembechler, that "if you try to stay the same you end up getting worse."

March 21st, 2013, 4:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: Backus Retires
DJ-B wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
It is easy to sit back as a fan and take a long term look at a team. It is another thing to have your million dollar job at risk in the short run if your team doesn't perform well over the course of 16 games.

Very few coaches in this league can afford to take a hard, long-term look at their clubs. Those that can obviously have a huge advantage over the majority of teams in the NFL.

The problem with this is, Mayhew had a blank check and key to the City for his first four years, he had no worries, but he threw that away. He could have set the team up for long-term success, but he chose a method that led to a flash in the pan, putting himself on the hotseat.

We lost whatever success and momentum we had in 2011 with the 2012 offseason. You could say that Mayhew chose a "conservative" approach and brought back the same team, but what he really did was failed to manage that team in every respect. He didn't manage the personnel, he didn't manage the salary cap, and he didn't manage the coaches. He quite literally chose "non-management" as his management strategy, and that's flat out ridiculous. His antics last offseason literally set this team back 2-3 years. That's inexcusable.

I Read this Article the other day, and it rang true for me vs Mayhews thoughts about 2011->2012 Offseason, so I dug it Up.

Quote:
Although the 2013 Baltimore Ravens will have a different look than last season's Super Bowl champions, coach John Harbaugh seems to be taking the changes in stride, telling the NFL Network that it's impossible for a team to stay the same in today's NFL.

"The worst mistake you can make is trying to hold a team together," Harbaugh said in the interview from the NFL's owners meetings in Phoenix, which aired Monday. "It's impossible."

He cited advice he received from the late Bo Schembechler, that "if you try to stay the same you end up getting worse."

Good find DJ

I think it's especially important in the NFL, with escalating contracts and a salary cap to work hard to NOT bring back the same guys, and to constantly improve your position, either financially, so you can take advantage of FAs, or in terms of youth, so you can develop cheap talent down the road.

March 21st, 2013, 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7