View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Is this the best Suh Scenario? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Is this the best Suh Scenario?
I apologize, I believe that was for the old CBA. I remember that being an issue as to why teams were never using it, because it was basically the same cost as an exclusive FT. they wanted to make it actually useable fir the new CBA, so they changed it to average over the past 5 years, or 120%, whichever is greater. So, you're right, he would be more expensive based on that 120%, seeing that he's already being paid like flacco.

The biggest thing they did to the N-E FT with the new CBA was expand the average of the top 5 salaries at the position and average it out over the past 5 years, rather than base it solely on the previous year. It saves a little money, but not a lot.

March 20th, 2013, 3:27 pm
Junior Varsity

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't think it made sense or everyone would do it for high priced free agents.

March 21st, 2013, 10:18 am
Veteran General Manager

Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I believe the tag would still represent a salary equal to 120% of his previous salary or an average of the top 5 or 10 players (I forget which) whichever is higher. Since the 120% is higher, that's what would apply. There's no way for him to be making less money other than him agreeing to a contract extension.

I feel like we're going to try to get him to extend his contract and as much as I like him as a player I'd rather trade him (assuming he's got astronomical contract ideas in his head). We can likely get a first round pick.

I don't see a team being willing to take on his remaining contract and pay him at least $17 million a year then extending him, AND throwing in a 1st round pick. Maybe a 2nd. A first would be an absolute miracle.

Well, I can offer a parallel situation that is going on right now. If that 1 happens, it could happen for us with Suh. What am I talking about? The Jets with the Revis trade attempt.

March 21st, 2013, 10:53 am
Div 1 - Starter

Suh is pretty much can't be traded right now, because of the original contract and because of the recent restructure, which turned his base into a bonus. The Lions can spread that out over five years, unless they trade him, and then I believe it all hits the cap over two years.

I still don't get the big push here to get rid of Suh.

March 21st, 2013, 12:14 pm
NFL Veteran

JL wrote:
Suh is pretty much can't be traded right now, because of the original contract and because of the recent restructure, which turned his base into a bonus. The Lions can spread that out over five years, unless they trade him, and then I believe it all hits the cap over two years.

I still don't get the big push here to get rid of Suh.

No one is really pushing out Suh, it's his contract that everyone wants to get rid of and unfortunately that means Suh goes too.

March 21st, 2013, 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2