View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Conundrums: Be patient with Joey 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Conundrums: Be patient with Joey
Pat Kirwan

SINGING THE HARRINGTON BLUES?

Quote:
The more I discuss the Lions with their fans, the more it sounds like they have a quick hook set up for Joey Harrington. Unless the Detroit brain trust thinks Jeff Garcia can take this team to the Super Bowl, it could be a mistake to yank Harrington. The young QB needs this whole season with Kevin Jones and at least two of the young wide receivers (Roy Williams, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers). Harrington has gotten better each year and against the division opponents last year he completed over 50 percent of his passes. If he can't get it done this year, then it's time for Detroit to get in the Drew Brees sweepstakes for 2006.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8509269

May 27th, 2005, 2:16 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I would have to agree... If Harrington continues to improve, why pull him???

May 27th, 2005, 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I agree also. While there is some debate about how much Garcia has left in the tank, it's clear that he's not going to get us to the Super Bowl, which should be the ultimate goal. If Joey falters this year, there will be better quarterbacks available (e.g., Drew Brees) in free agency and the draft.

May 27th, 2005, 5:40 pm
QB Coach

It's not just, "he needs to improve". It's more like "He needs to improve a distinct amount" for us to keep him after this season. If he continues these below .500 seasons, with average QB ratings, with the talent around him, then it's time to yank him. Sure, i'll give him this season. But if he doesn't produce, then give me Matt Leinart or Vince Young.

May 27th, 2005, 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I think Harrington should have a full year with the three amigos and a running game with KJ. If the Lions don't improve due to Harrington's play then they have to seriously consider other options for next year.

Lets not forget that the Lions defense has also been improved from last year. If they can produce turnovers and shorten the field it will greatly help the offense.

Finally the Lions need to stretch the field. Throw the ball downfield at least four times a game. But, it may take some time for Harrington to develop a rythem with the receivers. Think about it; he's had 14 games with Roy, 4 with CRog, and none with Mike.

May 28th, 2005, 1:26 pm
Junior Varsity

I think Harrington should have a full year with the three amigos and a running game with KJ. If the Lions don't improve due to Harrington's play then they have to seriously consider other options for next year.

No way he should get a full year. 4 games; max. If you wait too long to pull him, you will more than likely miss an opportunity to turn things around and make a playoff spot. If he struggles, you still want to give him the year? Why would you want to waste the rest of the team's, and our time?

Quote:
If the Lions don't improve due to Harrington's play then they have to seriously consider other options for next year

Consider other options? It needs to be much more than a consideration. It needs to be a firm commitment to replace him and send him to bag groceries. Oh wait, that would put him the same class as a Superbowl MVP. Well, send him somewhere.

wi, I'm not attacking you, I just don't share your patience with inadequacy.

May 28th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Varsity Captain

All I know is at the Yankees game today I saw two people wearing Harrington jerseys, so that tells me he has some sort of support maybe its just from us out of staters.

May 28th, 2005, 11:05 pm
Hall of Fame Player

No way he should get a full year. 4 games; max. If you wait too long to pull him, you will more than likely miss an opportunity to turn things around and make a playoff spot. If he struggles, you still want to give him the year? Why would you want to waste the rest of the team's, and our time? ....

So if you don't like the results in 4 games - Then what?

Who do you play then? Garcia? What happens after 5 games of that and Garcia can't go anymore? To slow - to hurt - can't get it done any better than Joey.

Who do you play then? Orlovsky? A rookie who has only watched 9 games from the sideline! You expect HIM to be better?

Then when the season is over - then what? Trade Harrington; get something for him? After you've told the entire NFL you would rather have an aged, broken down QB or a green pea rookie start instead - you expect that he still has any trade value?

Joey has not been great - but the cast of characters around him have looked like triage in a MASH unit; and those who've been healthy have not played well. In spite of that Harrington's numbers have been OK.

His issue is mostly a leadership issue and this is his last year to get it done. But 4 games and then a hook is a guaranteed way to not make the playoffs. Barring a trade after 1/Jun - he gets the season. If he blows it - then we're in the Matt Lienart sweepstakes.

May 29th, 2005, 8:11 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Who do you play then? Orlovsky? A rookie who has only watched 9 games from the sideline! You expect HIM to be better?

Yes. :D

LionFan57 wrote:
If he blows it - then we're in the Matt Lienart sweepstakes.

Matt Leinart? I want Vince Young!

May 29th, 2005, 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I saw Young single handedly win the rose bowl, but he did it all on his feet, at least for the part I saw. Can he pass, or is he the next Mike Vick?

May 29th, 2005, 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I saw Young single handedly win the rose bowl, but he did it all on his feet, at least for the part I saw. Can he pass, or is he the next Mike Vick?

No no, Marcus is the next Vick, lol. I'm not a huge fan of Vince Young and I think Marcus Vick will always live in the shadow of his brother, "Ron." Same goes with Eli; he'll never be better than Peyton IMO.

Either way, Vince doesn't do it for me. By drafting another first round QB, that instantly takes the Lions back into rebuilding mode. They should try to acquire a good, slightly above average QB like Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck isn't a show stopper and he doesn't single-handedly win you games, but he does a good job with average receivers. Give him our trio and he'll be a top 10 QB. I just don't want the Lions to take a step back by drafting and starting a rookie QB...again.

May 29th, 2005, 2:56 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I am of the opinion that Joey gets this year to turn his career around. He has played horrible for the most part. 57% completion percentage in the WCO is not good. It is a high percentage offense with a lot of short routes. And even though we have young recievers that he hasn't played a lot with he should be able to make the correct throws. He has been in the offense for 3 years now he needs to take control and be the leader in this offense. I don't want to hear any chemistry excuses this year.

The job is still his to lose. If he is unsat during a game then you have to bring Garcia in. And if Garcia performs in the game when he gets the chance then you have to stick with who is performing.

If Garcia outperforms Harrington this year he is gone. He will be our QB next year as we try to find our franchise QB. If not Lienert which will take either coming in last in the NFL (which I wouldn't like to see) or us giving up a ton of picks in next years draft or future drafts (which is also dissapointing). I would like to see Detroit get Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green. He reminds me of a younger Daunte Culpepper. We should be able to move up and get him without having to sell the farm. In this scenario we can only hope that Garcia can produce for another year or two to let whoever ease into the NFL.

May 29th, 2005, 6:09 pm
NFL Veteran

There are too many factors to squarely put this whole thing on Joey's shoulders. Let's say, the Williamses and Jones go down for the first five games. Can you blame Joey if we suck during that period? I have a belief that a healthy offense with Joey can be dominant.

I would be willing to rein Joey in if he has a healthy cast and it's painfully obvious that he's the weak link on the offense. It's just that I've seen him perform reasonably well when Roy Williams wasn't hobbled or before C-Rog went down, for me to think that he won't succeed with a healthy offense.

But I'm glad we have the Garcia insurance policy... it's much better than what we've had since the two headed QB glory days. (I'm drawing a blank as to who they are right now).

This is a gambling year... you've got to be committed to who you think is the best, just for the sake of the Superbowl XL mission. If we fail, no biggy, it's not like we go back to rebuilding mode... we just find a new guy to QB us there.

And pending a couple of things my choice at the moment is Chris Leak. If Alex Smith can play decent for a QB, then that will alieviate any concerns about a 'system' QB. I actually think it takes some brains to operate Urban Meyer's offense, but just to be sure. But if Alex Smith does play well, and Chris Leak does well, he's my choice since he #1 has the brains to run a Urban Meyer offense, and #2 has great tools and #3 is athletic, (he looks pretty ripped too). He's only 6' so hopefully that will put him in a range where the lions can draft him.

Anyway, can you imagine if it did turn out that way? How about a camp with Drew Brees, Dan Orlovsky, Jeff Garcia and Chris Leak (or Matt Leinart, Vince Young etc...) fighting for the top QB spot? That's not such a bad situation, and I would be all for it if the Joey Harrington experiment ultimately fails.

May 29th, 2005, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Vince Young is a good COLLEGE QB. He won't be good in the NFL. At least not from what I have seen. He isn't accurate at all. And you can't win a SB with a running QB alone. Ask Mike Vick. Chris Leak is going to be good. Leinert is the best pick at QB he is amazing. But I really like Jacobs. Watch him if you get a chance.

May 29th, 2005, 6:33 pm
League MVP

conversion wrote: "he might be the next Vick"

And you dont want him? whats up with all this mindless negative connotation with Vick and running QBs. Winning is what matters, not fantasy numbers and not what some fool media guys say.

If Young is the next Vick you definitely want him on your team. Vick is an elite quarterback. You guys are so patient with Joey, wait for them to put talent around him, blah blah blah, bs bs bs. Vick is younger, he is only 24 and has started less games than Joey and has had inferior surrounding talent on offense. The guy has made 2 playoff appearances already including an NFL championship game. His team has proven they are nothing without him. If you can get a guy with even a remote chance of being like him, you take him...

May 30th, 2005, 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next