View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Conundrums: Be patient with Joey 
RIP Killer

conversion wrote: "he might be the next Vick"

I did?

Either way...Vick is great at what he does, but I would personally rather have a Manning, McNabb, Culpepper, Favre, etc over Vick. I personally don't think Vick is in the top 5 QBs in the game and I just, honestly, don't like him. If Vince Young is there in the first, grab him, but wouldn't like to see much effort in a trade up to get him. I don't think he's one of those "special" QBs.

BTW, look at who was backing up Vick...Matt Schaub and Ty Detmer...What team would be good with those two at QB? Of course Vick means a ton to that team, but not as much as everyone's eluding to. Maybe it's not him alone who carries the team from 5-11 to 11-5, but rather it's his replacements that bring the team down to 5-11?

May 30th, 2005, 12:26 am
Mr. Irrelevant

No Vick brings their record up you can't deny that. But teams are beginning to figure out how to contain them and watch this year he won't have as many rushing yards. My point is that top defenses can contain vick and his ability to run. You have to be able to throw the ball in this league and he is less accurate than Harrington. His footwork sucks too. Vick can steal you some games but you can't steal a championship. You have to be consistantly good and I don't think vick has it in him.

May 30th, 2005, 6:11 am
Hall of Fame Player

No Vick brings their record up you can't deny that. But teams are beginning to figure out how to contain them and watch this year he won't have as many rushing yards. My point is that top defenses can contain vick and his ability to run. You have to be able to throw the ball in this league and he is less accurate than Harrington. His footwork sucks too. Vick can steal you some games but you can't steal a championship. You have to be consistantly good and I don't think vick has it in him.

Murtyle,

I couldn't agree more. Very good analysis of Vick.

May 30th, 2005, 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Even our d contained him well. He has a rocket arm, but not as accurate or he just doens't want to throw. I don't know, but he is the most overrated player in the league. Thats why I asked if Young was the next Vick, because I don't like Vick.

May 30th, 2005, 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I want the Lions to succed as much as you do and some of the receint failure is Harringtons fault. But there are other contributing factors. James Stewart had one good year with Harrington, then nothing until the last 10 games of 2004. Suspect tightend play and major injuries to the receiving corp. A defense, until last year, that couldn't stop a drive until it hit the end zone. Finally very inefferctive play calling.

I have a little different perspective because I remenber the packers before Favre and in his first few years. Now, I am not comparing Harrington with Favre except that packer fans wanted Favre run out of town. If you recall Favre struggled his first three years and came into his own in his fourth season. Favre also had established players Sharp, Bennett, and Chmura. The Williams, CRog, and KJ are either rookies or 2nd year players.

I do want to win now but also for years to come. I think that giving Harrington a full season with some talent on both sides of the ball is the Lions best option for this year.

Regards

May 30th, 2005, 1:08 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

conversion sorry, bsand had written "he might be the next Vick." Anyways most of what you guys are saying about Vick has been said of other similar QBs like McNair, Culpepper, McNabb, even Elway and Favre, goes on and on. Give him some receivers and stop changing his offense and he will have a chance. Nobody is asking him to do it on his own and if the Lions end up getting someone like Vince Young he would have talent around him. There is no requirement for a running QB to have to do it all on his own, it is just an added weapon that makes the offense more dangerous. Good luck to Joey and Jeff this year bc I'd like to see both succeed, this team is capable of playoffs with average QB play.

May 31st, 2005, 1:22 am
Hall of Fame Player

... Good luck to Joey and Jeff this year bc I'd like to see both succeed, this team is capable of playoffs with average QB play.

I would think that this is an accurate statement. I hope so anyway because Joey is an average QB. Yes it would be nice to see him take a step up this year but the Lions should be able do win if he just plays at an average level.

Problem is that expectations are so high, the first dropped pass - the Boo Birds will be out right away.

May 31st, 2005, 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

I hope so anyway because Joey is an average QB

...and there have been plenty of average QB's that win Super Bowls. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, etc. (yes I know about the defenses of those teams...but where figuring that out too).

With the weapons around him, barring injury or stupidity, we could easily contend within the next 2-3 years. But those that want to give Joey a few game leash, be warned...It could set up the situation like some of you have discussed where Jeff Garcia comes in and is ALSO as ineffective. Thirty-five(35) year old qb's don't always heal the fastest from shoulder injuries, and they come back more effective even less. I like the aquisition of Jeff as much as the next person to solidify and strengthen the position, not to be the savior.

I realize it's easy to blame Joey, he's the one with the most starts in the last few years while we have maintained sub-.500 records, he is the qb, and what pisses most people off is the fact that HE doesn't seem pissed off.

...I understand all of that.... but let's not forget that the skill set of these young playmakers is high, but they are still very young. Between the three draft picks you've got less than 2 seasons of NFL experience, and KJ is no longer a secret(although i think he will do well).

That all said we've still got (yet another) new Offensive coord. to break in. Let's hope the previous relationship with Mooch makes this easier.

My point is that we still have to give this entire team what we've been giving them all of our lives...time...If we don't, or Millen and the Fords can't, then we may wind up trying to develop yet another QB who might start to understand the game just about the same time that our offensive weapons get the chance to break out as free agents.

....nobody wants that.

May 31st, 2005, 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2