View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions Schedule 2013 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Lions Schedule 2013
thelomasbrowns wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
3 10+ teams in our division skewed the #s hard against us, but it still doesn't look pretty. A good season would be 8-10 wins, I don't see more as even possible without some major Breaks (Namely some QBs Legs).

IF we fill the 2 gaping holes in the line, I really like our Offense's chances to run with anybody. it's a matter of whether our D can make a few stops per game. I'm not nearly as optamistic there :(

IF Delmas stays healthy (I realize that's a big if) then we should be pretty solid in the secondary. Think the D-line will be better against the run this year; now we just have to find somebody who can rush the passer.

ehhhhhhhh...I wish I was that optamistic....

We have a big question mark at one corner, one LB, and one DE...add to that we have a gaping hole at LB (the other side) and DE (also the other side). Thats 5 out of 11 spots....lets just say, if they show ANY success, I'll be pleasantly suprised.

April 19th, 2013, 2:38 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
3 10+ teams in our division skewed the #s hard against us, but it still doesn't look pretty. A good season would be 8-10 wins, I don't see more as even possible without some major Breaks (Namely some QBs Legs).

IF we fill the 2 gaping holes in the line, I really like our Offense's chances to run with anybody. it's a matter of whether our D can make a few stops per game. I'm not nearly as optamistic there :(

IF Delmas stays healthy (I realize that's a big if) then we should be pretty solid in the secondary. Think the D-line will be better against the run this year; now we just have to find somebody who can rush the passer.

ehhhhhhhh...I wish I was that optamistic....

We have a big question mark at one corner, one LB, and one DE...add to that we have a gaping hole at LB (the other side) and DE (also the other side). Thats 5 out of 11 spots....lets just say, if they show ANY success, I'll be pleasantly suprised.

I agree... Our LBs (we don't even know who the 3rd one is going to be yet) have to be THE worst, not bottom 10, bottom 5, I'm talking THE worst LB corps in the entire league, flat out. Levy wouldn't start on more than 1/2 the teams in the NFL, and you can likely say the same about whomever we put at SSLB. Tulloch is "alright" but he's not even "good" let alone great.

Our #2 CB is up in the air, and doesn't look to be filled with any "quality" player. At best a 2nd year player that couldn't stay healthy and barely got any playing time SHOULD be starting at the position (I say should, because of the off-chance that we do draft Millner, which I think would be a colossal mistake). I will admit though, that our S play should be much improved, and that's huge! However, I think it will be off-set by a massive depletion in DE play... IMO our D has gotten worse in 2013, regardless as to what we do in the draft.

April 19th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Unless we steal two players of great value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who contribute greatly throughout the season, 9-7 is the best I think we can go.

April 19th, 2013, 5:35 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
3rd game is an automatic lose. The Lions have never won a game in Washington DC. EVER.

Good call Billy!

Also

MLive wrote:
Surprise, Lions have easiest scheduleALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions lost two starters in the span of three days, following a season-ending knee injury to Jason Jones and a freak car accident that broke Nate Burleson's forearm in two places.

Not the ideal way to enter a battle for the NFC North lead Sunday against the unbeaten Chicago Bears (3-0).

Lions Cardinals Football(24).JPGLions coach Jim Schwartz might have an easier path through the season than originally thought.Associated Press

But there is a bit of luck on the Lions' side: They were expected to have the second toughest schedule in the NFL, but instead have what is shaping up to be one of the easiest.

Detroit's opponents combine for a 17-31 record through three games, tied for the worst winning percentage (.354) in football. The Seattle Seahawks also face teams that are 17-31.

It's early, of course, and schedule difficulties will retrench over time. But the Lions' path to the playoffs certainly doesn't seem as cumbersome as it once did -- especially with a win against mighty Chicago. Detroit already is tied with Dallas for the fourth-best record in the NFC, and don't play another unbeaten the rest of the way.

But coach Jim Schwartz said this game doesn't offer any extra significance for Detroit, even though it's against a division rival, offering essentially a two-game swing in the standings with a win or loss.

"It's too early to be thinking about stuff like that," he said. "We just came off a tough road win (at Washington). Next game is a NFC North team at home, and all those games are important. It is important for us to get back home after being on the road for a couple weeks.

"You can't worry about standings this time of year. All you have to worry about is improving, correcting your mistakes, finding out what you're good at, those kinds of things and continuing to progress."

Detroit's wins have come against winless teams, so the Chicago game -- and that Bears defense, which forced five turnovers and scored twice last week -- would seem to be a better barometer for this team's outlook.

The Bears already have a league-high 11 takeaways overall, and scored three defensive touchdowns.

"They're a physical football team," Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "They're getting turnovers off interceptions. They're getting turnovers off forced fumbles.

"They're punching the ball out. (Cornerback Charles) Tillman wears the double wrist braces and just goes in there swinging and tries to knock the ball out. He does a great job. ... That's what they do, they try to force turnovers with physical and smart play."

Chicago mustered comeback wins against Cincinnati (24-21) and Minnesota (31-30) before beating Pittsburgh (40-23) over the weekend. It is one of seven remaining unbeaten teams, three of which reside in the NFC.

None of which Detroit must face after Chicago.

The Lions' schedule suddenly seems so manageable in part because they play five of the NFL's six winless teams -- and Minnesota twice. They already beat the Vikings and Washington Redskins, and still get games against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants and Minnesota again.

That's helped soften what looked like a brutal slate at the outset. Detroit's opponents went a combined 138-118 last year, which trailed only the Panthers' 138-116 opponent schedule.

Full list of opponent starts
Detroit Lions: 17-31 (.354)
Seattle Seahawks: 17-31 (.354)
Chicago Bears: 18-30 (.375)
Philadelphia Eagles: 19-29 (.396)
Dallas Cowboys: 20-28 (.417)
Green Bay Packers: 20-28 (.417)
Kansas City Chiefs: 21-27 (.438)
Washington Redskins: 22-26 (.458)
San Francisco 49ers: 22-26 (.458)
Carolina Panthers: 23-25 (.479)
New York Giants: 24-24 (.500)
Tennessee Titans: 24-24 (.500)
Minnesota Vikings: 24-24 (.500)
New Orleans Saints: 24-24 (.500)
Atlanta Falcons: 24-24 (.500)
Arizona Cardinals: 24-24 (.500)
Cincinnati Bengals: 24-24 (.500)
Denver Broncos: 24-24 (.500)
Oakland Raiders: 25-23 (.521)
Miami Dolphins: 25-23 (.521)
Baltimore Ravens: 26-22 (.542)
St. Louis Rams: 26-22 (.542)
Cleveland Browns: 26-22 (.542)
New England Patriots: 27-21 (.563)
Houston Texans: 27-21 (.563)
Indianapolis Colts: 27-21 (.563)
New York Jets: 27-21 (.563)
San Diego Chargers: 28-20 (.583)
Jacksonville Jaguars: 28-20 (.583)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 28-20 (.583)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 28-20 (.583)
Buffalo Bills: 29-19 (.604)

September 25th, 2013, 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

i agree the lions schedule suddenly looks like its filled with potential wins given how some of the opponents have fallen on there faces (Tampa Bay and New York Giants, CLE fire sale and Dallas/Philly looking beatable by average teams). still the packers and bears will be tough and the vikes on the road isnt a given either especially with Lions losing to Arizona away. lions will need 2 wins in those 5 games. this weeks game is huge. lions could recover from a loss but a win this week really makes the season outlook bright.

schedule only means so much though. who really wants to see the lions staring at 2-3 in the face when they head away to a trap game vs Cleveland? lions need to play well to be a playoff team, cant just sit around and hope that NFL teams no show on Sundays.

September 25th, 2013, 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2