View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 NCAA Sanctions Lions for "Lack of Institutional Control" 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post NCAA Sanctions Lions for "Lack of Institutional Control"
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92044 ... ltercation

W.T.F.

Stop getting arrested in the offseason you f$#ktards.

edit: Actual Article = DE Ronnell Lewis arrested for Bar Altercation.

April 23rd, 2013, 6:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: NCAA Sanctions Lions for "Lack of Institutional Control"
DJ-B wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9204463/ronnell-lewis-detroit-lions-arrested-ou-bar-altercation

W.T.F.

I still blame the organization for some part in this. IMO we don't assimilate our rookies into "professional life" well enough. I also think this illustrates why younger players should stay in the NCAAs for their senior season, unless they're Rd1 or 2 talent. These guys get into the NFL and "go back" to "relive" the college experience (or even worse, HS experience with their "boys") and it never ends well.

April 23rd, 2013, 6:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

They should cut this f***er immediately. Better up the offer to LoJack.

April 23rd, 2013, 8:26 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
They should cut this f***er immediately. Better up the offer to LoJack.

I'd up the offer to LoJack, cut Young to make up for the price difference, cut Lewis, and draft someone in the 2nd round and be done with it.

Unless there's a crazy run on DEs someone pretty decent should be available with our second round pick. If that doesn't pan out draft Gholston in the 3rd round, or if there's a great talent at the top of the third, trade back up into the 3rd and grab him. We need to start holding people accountable, including the GM and coach, for this crap.

April 23rd, 2013, 8:29 pm
NFL Veteran

The kid is 22 yrs old, plays an aggressive testosterone filled sport and went back to his college to drink. I'm willing to bet he was provoked by some jealous douchebag and since he was drunk he fell into the trap. I don't care how good an organization you run, this stuff still happens with 22 yr olds. This is also something that happens at college bars all the time by normal students/young drinkers. He didn't kill anyone or fight with anyone other than the individual that was fighting with him that night. He deserves the chance to see if he can learn from his mistake and should not be judged overly harsh just because of one indiscretion.

April 23rd, 2013, 8:47 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9204463/ronnell-lewis-detroit-lions-arrested-ou-bar-altercation

W.T.F.

I still blame the organization for some part in this. IMO we don't assimilate our rookies into "professional life" well enough. I also think this illustrates why younger players should stay in the NCAAs for their senior season, unless they're Rd1 or 2 talent. These guys get into the NFL and "go back" to "relive" the college experience (or even worse, HS experience with their "boys") and it never ends well.

I do too, not at all satisfied with Scwartz comments regarding this issue after 7 arrests last offseason and a 4-12 season.

Coach Schwartz as quoted by freep.com

Quote:
Lions coach Jim Schwartz said at the NFL owners meetings in March that his team’s off-field problems were not a distraction during last year’s disappointing 4-12 season.

“Honestly, that was brought up by you guys (the media),” Schwartz said. “That wasn’t a distraction at all, particularly once we got to training camp. The distraction involved in that was in (off-season workouts) and early in training camp when guys got a mic stuck in their face and said, ‘What do you think about it?’ That was the only time they would think about it. The rest of the time they were going on and doing their thing. Once the season began, once we got into training camp, I don’t think that was a dynamic at all when it came to our team.”

Real nice, coach, blame it on the media. These guys should be building there bodies and conditioning up in the offseason so that when they get to the damn training camp they can focus on football. When they are out at clubs and bars getting in fights, smoking weed, pointing guns at pedestrians etc - I dont see how any of that helps the Detroit Lions win a game. This is a bush league organization with no accountability and repeat offenses is what happens when the team takes a BS stance like Schwartz did.

April 23rd, 2013, 8:58 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
The kid is 22 yrs old, plays an aggressive testosterone filled sport and went back to his college to drink. I'm willing to bet he was provoked by some jealous douchebag and since he was drunk he fell into the trap. I don't care how good an organization you run, this stuff still happens with 22 yr olds. This is also something that happens at college bars all the time by normal students/young drinkers. He didn't kill anyone or fight with anyone other than the individual that was fighting with him that night. He deserves the chance to see if he can learn from his mistake and should not be judged overly harsh just because of one indiscretion.

Who are you Coach Schwartz? Puuulleeeeassssee. Stance's like yours are total BS. This kid should be taught and told that this is going to happen and be ready to walk away. Why the ff.... isnt this jerk in Detroit for the workouts they are doing? It tells me he doesnt really care too much about impressing the coaching staff. They have 2 wide open spots for a starter at his position and later this week there is something called the NFL draft. You would think he d want to convince the team that he s a professional and will be ready to go so they dont draft his replacement. Inexcusable.

P.S. most people would stop once the police get involved, especially after getting Tasered and I dont buy your "douchebag theory" bc "douchebags" are everywhere. Jared Allen isnt busting there faces in, Julius Peppers didnt beat up any douchebags, and even Cliff Avril didnt beat up any douchebags.

April 23rd, 2013, 9:05 pm
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

Who are you Coach Schwartz? Puuulleeeeassssee. Stance's like yours are total BS. This kid should be taught and told that this is going to happen and be ready to walk away. Why the ff.... isnt this jerk in Detroit for the workouts they are doing? It tells me he doesnt really care too much about impressing the coaching staff. They have 2 wide open spots for a starter at his position and later this week there is something called the NFL draft. You would think he d want to convince the team that he s a professional and will be ready to go so they dont draft his replacement. Inexcusable.

P.S. most people would stop once the police get involved, especially after getting Tasered and I dont buy your "douchebag theory" bc "douchebags" are everywhere. Jared Allen isnt busting there faces in, Julius Peppers didnt beat up any douchebags, and even Cliff Avril didnt beat up any douchebags.

I agree completely. Bad decision #1 was DECIDING to go back to his college town, as a "big shot" with a poop of money, and throw it around. If someone was in fact a "douche bag" to him, it was just one douche bag confronting another. You can't walk into a college town full of 20-23 year old meatheads, and flash tens of thousands of dollars, hit on tons of women, and not have a problem.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:10 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

Jared Allen was arrested 3 times for DUIs once in college and twice with the Chiefs. Anyone can do something stupid when they have had too much to drink.

The Pats drafted Alfonzo Dennard and it didn't stop him from assaulting a police officer. James Harrison was with the Steelers for most of his NFL career and was picked-up for assaulting his wife and Holmes had numerous legal issues while he was with Pitt. Pitt's NT Ta'amu was arrested for evading police while intoxicated. William Moore, safety for the Falcons was just arrested for battery. Chicago has had two players arrested in the last few months. Demarcus Dobbs an UDFA with the 49ers was arrested for a DUI accident and possession of marijuana, remains on the team. I can keep going on.

Also the kid played for OK, considering their record of players getting arrested Lewis was due to get arrested eventually.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:11 pm
League MVP

rao - the point is not whether or not young men tend to drink and get in trouble when they drink. everyone knows that. the point is that this is an epidemic on this team. where is the preparation? where is the discipline? where is the organizational control? Bill Belichik can pick up a player like Dennard whose offence was while he was in college - the only reason he fell was bc of those character issues - because they have a great organization. Belichik can squeeze more out of a player like that bc that player knows that Belichik isnt going to tolerate my BS. Belichik also probably prepares his team better for what they are about to face. The Lions cant afford to take a player like that bc the organization takes a soft stance. Coach Schwartz doesnt care at all, his statements seem like he s more mad at the media for asking the questions about the arrests than for the players getting arrested. Team President Lewand gets a DUI and keeps his job even though he doesnt have a rare skill set and really doesnt contribute on the football side of things as far as selecting players or eyeing talent. Their is a reason that the Lions lead the league in this and its not bc the players are young men. Every team in the league has rosters filled with young men of similiar mindset but they contain the issues much better than the Lions do.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:22 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao - the point is not whether or not young men tend to drink and get in trouble when they drink. everyone knows that. the point is that this is an epidemic on this team. where is the preparation? where is the discipline? where is the organizational control? Bill Belichik can pick up a player like Dennard whose offence was while he was in college - the only reason he fell was bc of those character issues - because they have a great organization. Belichik can squeeze more out of a player like that bc that player knows that Belichik isnt going to tolerate my BS. Belichik also probably prepares his team better for what they are about to face. The Lions cant afford to take a player like that bc the organization takes a soft stance. Coach Schwartz doesnt care at all, his statements seem like he s more mad at the media for asking the questions about the arrests than for the players getting arrested. Team President Lewand gets a DUI and keeps his job even though he doesnt have a rare skill set and really doesnt contribute on the football side of things as far as selecting players or eyeing talent. Their is a reason that the Lions lead the league in this and its not bc the players are young men. Every team in the league has rosters filled with young men of similiar mindset but they contain the issues much better than the Lions do.

But every team in the league doesn't contain the issues any better. The Bengals, Buccs, and the Steelers have multiple issues virtually every year. Just since the beginning of 2013 CHI, CIN, and OAK have had 2 arrests each. Some teams are just willing to put up with some bad PR in the offseason to hopefully land a good player. Now Lewis so far is not a good player and I'm not going to cry foul if he did get released, but anyone that is calling for his head right now is overreacting. The issues this year aren't even players going out and just doing something illegal. Amari was is an argument with the mother of his child who was just as responsible for endangering their child as he was and both Lewis and the man he was fighting were charged with the same 3 misdemeanors because neither would stop fighting when police arrived. These two mistakes are just bad emotional responses that hopefully both can learn from. The things from last year were obvious conscious decisions to be a complete idiot multiple times by a few of the players.

Really I don't know why I'm arguing this, my only issue is that I don't think Lewis should be cut for one incident or because of all the previous incidents with other players. If I am wrong and the organization could have prevented this in some way then the staff should be fired not the player.

April 24th, 2013, 9:54 am
rao wrote:
But every team in the league doesn't contain the issues any better.

Apparently the NCAA disagrees, if we have in fact been sited for lack of institutional control.

You fire both the staff and the player for incidents like this. You have to send a message of accountability, and you have to show that everyone is accountable.

April 24th, 2013, 11:00 am
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
But every team in the league doesn't contain the issues any better.

Apparently the NCAA disagrees, if we have in fact been sited for lack of institutional control.

You fire both the staff and the player for incidents like this. You have to send a message of accountability, and you have to show that everyone is accountable.

I'm going to assume that first parts a joke.

If you feel it's negligence by the staff then you don't drop the player. You let the new staff decided how to handle him. They can use him as an example once they get in place. He either keeps clean showing the new staff can handle players or he makes another mistake and the new staff shows they can drop the axe if you do something on their watch.

April 24th, 2013, 11:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Definitely a joke. Been reading a lot of NCAA articles lately about sanctions so when I read about Lewis getting arrested I thought id make a funny so I wasn't quite as mad.

April 24th, 2013, 11:47 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions DE Ronnell Lewis arrested during bar fight
By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on April 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM,
updated April 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Detroit Lions linebacker Ronnell Lewis joins the long list of Jim Schwartz's players who have found themselves in offseason trouble.

Lewis was arrested this past Saturday on three misdemeanor complaints after an altercation at a bar in Norman, Okla. He marks the ninth arrest involving a Lions player in two recent offseasons (Lions safety Amari Spievey was arrested earlier this offseason).

According to the police report obtained by MLive.com, bouncers at a bar called Logan's on the Corner, located in Norman's Campus Corner entertainment district, requested the officer's help with a fight that was occurring inside of their establishment between Lewis and Herve Sivuilu. The bouncers grabbed Lewis and brought him outside to the officers.

Once both men were outside, Lewis proceeded to push Sivuilu to the ground in front of the officers. That's when officers told Lewis to step away from Sivuilu, but the Lions player then proceeded to punch his opponent, who was still on the ground. Lewis was then tased by an officer, but the Lions player refused to stop fighting Sivuilu, who got up from the floor. Lewis was then tased a second time and finally dropped to the ground. Sivuilu was also tased.

Officers said Lewis smelled like alcohol, he had "red watery blood shot eyes", and his speech was slow and thick. Lewis was transported to Norman Regional Hospital for treatment and the to jail and booked for disturbing the peace, public intoxication and interference with the official process.

Sivuilu was also arrested and charged with public intoxication, disturbing the peace and interference.

Here is the Lions' official statement about their latest arrest:

Quote:
"We are aware of the incident involving Ronnell Lewis. We are in the process of gathering more information and have no further comment at this time."

Lewis was a fourth-round draft pick of the Lions last year. He appeared in eight games, mostly on special teams, and had two tackles.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... h_det.html

April 24th, 2013, 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next