View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Devon Taylor 4th round Comp. 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Devon Taylor 4th round Comp.
He has so much more including a bull rush, rip, and swim move and good pass rush DEs need an array of at least theee moves to be consistently effective. The thing that makes Freeney one of the all time great pass rushers us he keeps OTs guessing and exploits them when they guess wrong. For any pass rush DE to be good they need to know and develop a few moves and know how to set up those moves to keep the guy across from you off balance. That's why you see so many stud DEs in college fizzle out in the NFL because they were one trick ponies and NFL lineman simply sit on that one move.

April 27th, 2013, 3:08 pm
NFL Veteran

I'm also going to say Freeny is a bad idea because he will want to be the starter and that's going to take time from Ansah. The only time Ansah and Freeny could be on the field together would be passing downs.

If Freeny took a backup pass rusher only role than I could understand bringing him in otherwise it's going to hamper growth more than help.

April 27th, 2013, 3:13 pm
I really liked Trevardo Williams, another player that we could have taken if we weren't stupid and traded our 4th this year for Lewis. That was a horrible trade.

April 27th, 2013, 3:13 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I really liked Trevardo Williams, another player that we could have taken if we weren't stupid and traded our 4th this year for Lewis. That was a horrible trade.

The trade was for the pick we used on Whitehead

April 27th, 2013, 3:16 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Way to small to play in a 4-3. He's a good pass rusher, but at 6'1" and 241lbs he isn't going to hold up in the NFL on the line. He's going to be a great 3-4 OLB as a pass rusher.

April 27th, 2013, 3:17 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Way to small to play in a 4-3. He's a good pass rusher, but at 6'1" and 241lbs he isn't going to hold up in the NFL on the line. He's going to be a great 3-4 OLB as a pass rusher.

I sort of agree with you, but lining up wide I feel like he could have done something in our system. I just think the kid is a baller and will be a good football player.

April 27th, 2013, 3:19 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I sort of agree with you, but lining up wide I feel like he could have done something in our system. I just think the kid is a baller and will be a good football player.

He's a baller, I agree. Just would be so limited in playing time in DET.

April 27th, 2013, 3:26 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

sweetd20 wrote:
He has so much more including a bull rush, rip, and swim move and good pass rush DEs need an array of at least theee moves to be consistently effective. The thing that makes Freeney one of the all time great pass rushers us he keeps OTs guessing and exploits them when they guess wrong. For any pass rush DE to be good they need to know and develop a few moves and know how to set up those moves to keep the guy across from you off balance. That's why you see so many stud DEs in college fizzle out in the NFL because they were one trick ponies and NFL lineman simply sit on that one move.

freeney is an exception. his greatest success was essentially with 1-2 moves.

April 27th, 2013, 3:30 pm
Team MVP

I just watched some stuff on Taylor for my first time and I have to be honest, I like what I saw. Time will tell.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 29th, 2013, 12:07 pm

kdsberman wrote:
I just watched some stuff on Taylor for my first time and I have to be honest, I like what I saw. Time will tell.

yeah he has some good highlights but you need to watch him for a full game or two. you ll see what a frustrating player he actually was

April 29th, 2013, 1:44 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

yeah he has some good highlights but you need to watch him for a full game or two. you ll see what a frustrating player he actually was

He doesn't have a good initial burst, but he shows great things in other areas. Obviously needs more strength just like most college prospects, though I'm not sure he will ever be great in that area because he has 36" arms. His length means he's never going to be a big time speed rusher or sack artist, but he was consistently disruptive using his length to get his hands up. He's a strider and can run down plays from behind and had good amount of tackles for losses in college. He had great production his early years and it only fell off when Ingram and Clowney started to destroy everyone. I'm not sure how he would get much in the way of sacks when both the other DEs he played with spent their entire time in the opponents backfield. I don't think Taylor ever had time to even get at the QB before Clowney was already back there.

He's no world beater, but the kid has natural gifts with his build and could make a great compliment to Ansah if Ansah turns into a great pass rusher. Don't underestimate the use of Taylor on special teams also, he could block a lot of kicks with those arms.

April 29th, 2013, 2:27 pm

where are you coming up with this theory of arm length decreasing the chances to get sacks?

April 30th, 2013, 11:47 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
where are you coming up with this theory of arm length decreasing the chances to get sacks?

Length as in body length not arm length. That's my fault for mentioning his arms in the previous sentence and not using a better description in the following sentence.

Taylor's long legs and body in general seems to give him problems turning the corner and hinders his short area quickness. He can move fast if he can get a nice stride, but he doesn't have the chance to do that off the line of scrimmage. I think it's a small part of why his production went down so drastically when he got paired with quick footed and powerful edge rushers at SC. He just doesn't have the acceleration that Ingram and Clowney have, it left him always 3 steps behind. He was just left being a clean up guy if those two happened to miss on a play somehow. Even with that said I think he's already better than Lewis and Young.

May 1st, 2013, 12:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2