View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Let the Controversy Begin: Lions almost took Denard 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Let the Controversy Begin: Lions almost took Denard
no Offense to Denard, but NO reps at route running and NO pass catching drills in 4 years? goooooooood luck.

April 29th, 2013, 5:37 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
no Offense to Denard, but NO reps at route running and NO pass catching drills in 4 years? goooooooood luck.

Dennard actually caught three passes for 31 yards. He lined up at WR a couple of times, and if he did it in a game, he did it hundreds of times during practice.

I don't think he's going to be good, but I do think he's had a decent amount of time preparing to be an NFL Wr.

Like I said 2 years ago, UofM did that kid NO favors playing him at Qb. A lot of people on here said someone would take a flyer on him at Qb, but that flat out wasn't true. Will he get some Wildcat reps? Maybe, but no one is looking at the kid as a potential NFL Qb.

April 29th, 2013, 5:42 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Dennard actually caught three passes for 31 yards. He lined up at WR a couple of times, and if he did it in a game, he did it hundreds of times during practice.

I don't think he's going to be good, but I do think he's had a decent amount of time preparing to be an NFL Wr.

Like I said 2 years ago, UofM did that kid NO favors playing him at Qb. A lot of people on here said someone would take a flyer on him at Qb, but that flat out wasn't true. Will he get some Wildcat reps? Maybe, but no one is looking at the kid as a potential NFL Qb.

Like I said before...Desmond 2.0. if he wants a real shotin the NFL, he better get darned good at returning punts/kicks..and FAST (with his speed and elusivness, that by far his best shot)

April 29th, 2013, 5:44 pm
NFL Veteran

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Why couldn't he be a Antoine Randal El?

Slot receiver

I think he could be, but Antwaan got to play at RB, WR, and special teams right when he got into the league. I don't think Robinson will get any significant time anywhere except RB.

There has been very view successful Randle El types, most only surprise some people for a year or two and then bounce around the league as reserves.

April 29th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

As Mayhew said, the team that takes him has to have an idea of how they would use him. I think we could use him in plays that Logan used to be involved in on offense (and maybe even some of the plays that used to go to Best). It's a shame we didn't get him because I think we're one of the few teams that could actually get some use out of him.

April 29th, 2013, 6:13 pm
RIP Killer

The bigger controversy should be that the Lions traded down and got poor value in return. The Lions moved down 28 spots and got a late 6th round pick in return. Mayhew should have demanded the 25th AND 32nd picks in the 5th round to swap out with the Seahawks. Instead, the Lions get a punter and running back who may not make the team. The Seahawks get a defensive tackle who considered by some to be a borderline first round talent.

Nice trade Mayhew.

May 2nd, 2013, 5:47 pm
m2karateman wrote:
The bigger controversy should be that the Lions traded down and got poor value in return. The Lions moved down 28 spots and got a late 6th round pick in return. Mayhew should have demanded the 25th AND 32nd picks in the 5th round to swap out with the Seahawks. Instead, the Lions get a punter and running back who may not make the team. The Seahawks get a defensive tackle who considered by some to be a borderline first round talent.

Nice trade Mayhew.

I agree with this completely.

On top of what's being discussed here... Joique Bell came out today and said that he would like KR/PR duties. That more or less makes the Reddick pick superfluous. IMO Bell is faster than Reddick and thus inherently better at KR/PR. I personally don't think a KR/PR guy running in the high 4.6's to high 4.7's is going to be capable in the NFL.

And wether the punter starts for us or not, he was only one of two punters drafted, and most thought that he would be a UDFA. We reached for him, even if he does turn out to be a good player.

May 2nd, 2013, 6:34 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nice trade Mayhew.

On top of what's being discussed here... Joique Bell came out today and said that he would like KR/PR duties. That more or less makes the Reddick pick superfluous. IMO Bell is faster than Reddick and thus inherently better at KR/PR. I personally don't think a KR/PR guy running in the high 4.6's to high 4.7's is going to be capable in the NFL.

And wether the punter starts for us or not, he was only one of two punters drafted, and most thought that he would be a UDFA. We reached for him, even if he does turn out to be a good player.

Joique Bell ran a 4.68 also. Reddick was said to be brought in as a 3rd down back because he has good pass blocking skills and catching ability. Most of the Lions interviews seem to say they didn't draft him for KR/PR at all, but that the competition is open. The way things look right now Bell is Leshoure's back-up and Riddick is Bush's back up.

The trade was awful and it seemed to ruin the back end of the draft. I don't think they grab any of the same players in the 5th and 6th round if it wasn't for that trade.

May 2nd, 2013, 7:30 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nice trade Mayhew.

Joique Bell ran a 4.68 also. Reddick was said to be brought in as a 3rd down back because he has good pass blocking skills and catching ability. Most of the Lions interviews seem to say they didn't draft him for KR/PR at all, but that the competition is open. The way things look right now Bell is Leshoure's back-up and Riddick is Bush's back up.

The trade was awful and it seemed to ruin the back end of the draft. I don't think they grab any of the same players in the 5th and 6th round if it wasn't for that trade.

Then I'm not sold on Bell retuning anything either. Like I said, I just don't see it happening out of a guy with TE speed...

IMO Ellington would have made a better Bush backup. Reddick reminds me more of an Eddie Drummond type, post injury when he was slow as molasses and they experimented a bit with him at WR and in the backfield.

May 2nd, 2013, 7:38 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nice trade Mayhew.

Then I'm not sold on Bell retuning anything either. Like I said, I just don't see it happening out of a guy with TE speed...

IMO Ellington would have made a better Bush backup. Reddick reminds me more of an Eddie Drummond type, post injury when he was slow as molasses and they experimented a bit with him at WR and in the backfield.

Slay said he wants to return, so I think we may be worrying about nothing. He was the best returner in Division 2 before he transferred and looked great in his 2 pick sixes.

Ellington has injury concerns and he only ran a 4.61, so him being a better option to Riddick is debatable. They are basically the same guy.

May 2nd, 2013, 7:53 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nice trade Mayhew.

Slay said he wants to return, so I think we may be worrying about nothing. He was the best returner in Division 2 before he transferred and looked great in his 2 pick sixes.

Ellington has injury concerns and he only ran a 4.61, so him being a better option to Riddick is debatable. They are basically the same guy.

It's not just the 40 time, he's also more explosive and stronger in his lower 1/2. IMO even with his injury Ellington is a better all around back, and would be a better returner.

Wonna wager on Riddick and Ellington?

May 2nd, 2013, 8:21 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Nice trade Mayhew.

It's not just the 40 time, he's also more explosive and stronger in his lower 1/2. IMO even with his injury Ellington is a better all around back, and would be a better returner.

Wonna wager on Riddick and Ellington?

No because I have nothing to wager, but we can sure bring this back up during the season when Ellington's ankle has him on IR, Riddick is sitting on the Lions bench and neither has done anything in the NFL.

May 2nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Ellington should have been the pick at some point (like where they took a punter) to help not only in the return game but also give the team insurance and future replacement for Bush while also adding an element to the offense if he and Bush were on the field at the same time. I was calling for him at nearly every pick when he was still there for the Lions in the 4th round until he was finally drafted. I think he was a case of teams seeing his 40 time eventhough he was injured and ignoring the game tape.

May 2nd, 2013, 8:32 pm
NFL Veteran

sweetd20 wrote:
Ellington should have been the pick at some point (like where they took a punter) to help not only in the return game but also give the team insurance and future replacement for Bush while also adding an element to the offense if he and Bush were on the field at the same time. I was calling for him at nearly every pick when he was still there for the Lions in the 4th round until he was finally drafted. I think he was a case of teams seeing his 40 time eventhough he was injured and ignoring the game tape.

Wasn't his injury in 2011? I didn't know he was coming off an injury before the combine.

May 2nd, 2013, 8:45 pm

He pulled his hammy at the combine and it wasn't a 100% yet when he ran at his pro day.

May 2nd, 2013, 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next