View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 8:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Let the Controversy Begin: Lions almost took Denard 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Let the Controversy Begin: Lions almost took Denard
Well that changes things then. Still an injury concern, but that does say better things about his explosiveness. I was just looking at their similar rushing stats and the description of their play in scouting reports.

May 2nd, 2013, 8:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The bigger controversy should be that the Lions traded down and got poor value in return. The Lions moved down 28 spots and got a late 6th round pick in return. Mayhew should have demanded the 25th AND 32nd picks in the 5th round to swap out with the Seahawks. Instead, the Lions get a punter and running back who may not make the team. The Seahawks get a defensive tackle who considered by some to be a borderline first round talent.

Nice trade Mayhew.

I agree with this completely.

On top of what's being discussed here... Joique Bell came out today and said that he would like KR/PR duties. That more or less makes the Reddick pick superfluous. IMO Bell is faster than Reddick and thus inherently better at KR/PR. I personally don't think a KR/PR guy running in the high 4.6's to high 4.7's is going to be capable in the NFL.

And wether the punter starts for us or not, he was only one of two punters drafted, and most thought that he would be a UDFA. We reached for him, even if he does turn out to be a good player.

Joique Bell ran a 4.68 also. Reddick was said to be brought in as a 3rd down back because he has good pass blocking skills and catching ability. Most of the Lions interviews seem to say they didn't draft him for KR/PR at all, but that the competition is open. The way things look right now Bell is Leshoure's back-up and Riddick is Bush's back up.

The trade was awful and it seemed to ruin the back end of the draft. I don't think they grab any of the same players in the 5th and 6th round if it wasn't for that trade.

Agree. Not saying I wanted Denard (would have been happy to have him in late 6-7, but not in 5) but it does seem believable that they may have been planning to grab him, then when he was taken we took the 1st/only trade down option, and ended up with a bunch of mediocre non targeted players until we go to the 7th Rd TE. I was away from my PC for awhile when that trade happened, and when I came back I was like. WTF did we trade down so far for a late 6th (basically a 7th). I was not happy.

May 3rd, 2013, 11:35 am
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

DJ-B wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The bigger controversy should be that the Lions traded down and got poor value in return. The Lions moved down 28 spots and got a late 6th round pick in return. Mayhew should have demanded the 25th AND 32nd picks in the 5th round to swap out with the Seahawks. Instead, the Lions get a punter and running back who may not make the team. The Seahawks get a defensive tackle who considered by some to be a borderline first round talent.

Nice trade Mayhew.

I agree with this completely.

On top of what's being discussed here... Joique Bell came out today and said that he would like KR/PR duties. That more or less makes the Reddick pick superfluous. IMO Bell is faster than Reddick and thus inherently better at KR/PR. I personally don't think a KR/PR guy running in the high 4.6's to high 4.7's is going to be capable in the NFL.

And wether the punter starts for us or not, he was only one of two punters drafted, and most thought that he would be a UDFA. We reached for him, even if he does turn out to be a good player.

Joique Bell ran a 4.68 also. Reddick was said to be brought in as a 3rd down back because he has good pass blocking skills and catching ability. Most of the Lions interviews seem to say they didn't draft him for KR/PR at all, but that the competition is open. The way things look right now Bell is Leshoure's back-up and Riddick is Bush's back up.

The trade was awful and it seemed to ruin the back end of the draft. I don't think they grab any of the same players in the 5th and 6th round if it wasn't for that trade.

Agree. Not saying I wanted Denard (would have been happy to have him in late 6-7, but not in 5) but it does seem believable that they may have been planning to grab him, then when he was taken we took the 1st/only trade down option, and ended up with a bunch of mediocre non targeted players until we go to the 7th Rd TE. I was away from my PC for awhile when that trade happened, and when I came back I was like. WTF did we trade down so far for a late 6th (basically a 7th). I was not happy.

I wouldn't say the players weren't targeted by the Lions because I believe every guy they drafted late came in for a visit, was coached at the senior bowl, or has a connection to the staff. I just don't believe those were their original targets in those rounds. It was weird to see them draft so much on need and Mayhew even come out and admit it.

May 3rd, 2013, 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3