View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 3:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all 
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
regularjoe12 wrote:
Well I'm certain that's a part of it, but the other side of that coin is player motivation too. While we would all like to say the players give their all no matter what, we as lions fans have witnessed personally players giving up at the end of the season. How is a player expected to give their all when they see starters getting benched just to see what the backup is capable of. While I don't necessarily agree with not playing the younger guys when there is only two weeks left and the playoffs are out of the picture, you can't deny the momentum boost the team got from a late win streak 3 years ago. We started off hot the next year and rode that momentum into the playoffs. I personally think the reason Swartz and co. Decided to keep trying to win each game at the end of last season was an attempt to repeat that.

That's a load of crap. A "proven vet" shouldn't give any less effort because someone else is getting playing time over them. Not a start, just playing time, even if it's a ton of it.

Motivation goes both ways, how is a rookie supposed to be "motivated" week after week when they know that there is NO chance of seeing the field?

May 10th, 2013, 6:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Well I'm certain that's a part of it, but the other side of that coin is player motivation too. While we would all like to say the players give their all no matter what, we as lions fans have witnessed personally players giving up at the end of the season. How is a player expected to give their all when they see starters getting benched just to see what the backup is capable of. While I don't necessarily agree with not playing the younger guys when there is only two weeks left and the playoffs are out of the picture, you can't deny the momentum boost the team got from a late win streak 3 years ago. We started off hot the next year and rode that momentum into the playoffs. I personally think the reason Swartz and co. Decided to keep trying to win each game at the end of last season was an attempt to repeat that.

That's a load of crap. A "proven vet" shouldn't give any less effort because someone else is getting playing time over them. Not a start, just playing time, even if it's a ton of it.

Motivation goes both ways, how is a rookie supposed to be "motivated" week after week when they know that there is NO chance of seeing the field?

You are right, they SHOULDN'T give up, but they do. If you haven't seen it you have blinders on. What we have seen here alone in the past is drops in production, nagging injuries suddenly become big deals with players literally sitting out when they would normally play. it happened in the past and will continue on in the future on just about any team. When a player sees the coach give up on the season, and start playing backups to see what they can do, they give up on the season as well. Not all of them do it mind you, but enough of them do for me to at least understand why some coaches keep playing to win long after the playoffs are out of reach.

Once againn, I'm not saying I agree with this philosophy....just that I can understand the reasoning.

As for the 2nd part of your post...maybe that's why we arn't seeing the development of rookies like we would like...I'm really not sure.

May 11th, 2013, 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6