View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Just shut up. And PROVE IT. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Just shut up. And PROVE IT.
Quote:
Nick Fairley thinks the Lions are going to the Super Bowl
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
Nick Fairley, Michael Vick AP

The Lions are the only NFL franchise that has been in existence every year of the Super Bowl era without ever actually playing in the Super Bowl. Nick Fairley thinks that is going to change this season.

Fairley told the Detroit News he doesn’t see any reason why the Lions won’t go to the Super Bowl.

“I expect big things,” Fairley said. “I am going to say we are going to the Super Bowl because I am competitive and that is what I want for the team and it is one of the goals. I am sure we are going to take it game by game and day by day.”

Last year the Lions were one of the NFL’s biggest disappointments, going from the playoffs to 4-12 amid a raft of off-field trouble. But Fairley says this year’s Lions will be the NFL’s most pleasant surprise.

“I expect big things,” Fairley said. “We picked up some good guys in the draft. It is going to be up to us (players) to getting the chemistry up to where we can play off each other. We are going to do some big things this year.”

By the standards of the Lions, just reaching the playoffs qualifies as “big things.” But Fairley is thinking bigger than that.

May 9th, 2013, 9:23 am
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Just shut up. And PROVE IT.
It's actually good to see him so involved. His biggest flaw coming out of college was a supposed lack of work ethic and passion, but he sounds like he wants to win now. Tulloch even praised how good he looked already and he has been in the D training since training began. Maybe he actually has the ability to become a vocal leader in the next few years.

May 9th, 2013, 10:48 am
Hall of Fame Player

I agree with you. I'm just tired of hearing Lions SAY they will go to the SB. But, never prove it on the field. Just do it. Then talk for once.

May 9th, 2013, 10:58 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
I agree with you. I'm just tired of hearing Lions SAY they will go to the SB. But, never prove it on the field. Just do it. Then talk for once.

He never actually guarantees they are going to the super bowl. It's obvious the question asked of him is what does he expect from them this year and he gave the correct answer. You are always supposed to expect to go to the Super Bowl, but just to be safe he added right after it that he is only saying that because he is competitive and that's their team goal. Also to be fair Fairley has made it to the playoffs 50% of his career so far, he has a legitimate reason to feel last year was a fluke.

May 9th, 2013, 11:05 am
Quote:
Fairley said. “I am going to say we are going to the Super Bowl because I am competitive and that is what I want for the team and it is one of the goals. I am sure we are going to take it game by game and day by day.”

So he's admitting that he doesn't really believe it, and he's just saying it "because he's competitive." He should stop right there, and say something less controversial like "I believe every year we're going to go to the Super Bowl," or "we have one goal every year, and it's to win the Super Bowl. We'll take it one week at a time, and work our tails off to do everything that we can to achieve that goal."

This empty rhetoric that they don't even believe is just that, empty rhetoric and is better left unsaid.

May 9th, 2013, 11:54 am
NFL Veteran

Quote:
Nick Fairley says he and Ndamukong Suh are the best defensive tackle tandem in league
Tim Twentyman
Fairley says this will be a big year for him, making it his top priority to stay healthy and on the field for the entire season
Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz challenged third-year defensive tackle Nick Fairley this offseason.

"We’re a better defense when Nick’s on the field for us," Schwartz said at the NFL League Meetings in Phoenix in March. "He made big plays last year, but finished the year on injured reserve. We need to get him to the point where he can play 16 (games) for us the way he plays eight for us every year."

For his part, Fairley says he’s accepted that challenge.

"Even though this is my third year, my first year I was hurt, I was in-and-out," Fairley said. "My second year I didn’t progress until later on. It’s going to be big for me to come in and put in all 16 ... 17, 18 games. It’s going to be big for me to go throughout the whole year."

Fairley had his best stretch over five games last season when he had four sacks, two forced fumbles and 23 tackles. That run began Week 10 at Minnesota and ended Week 14 at Green Bay when he suffered the shoulder injury that resulted in him being placed on injured-reserve.

When healthy, he and fellow defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh form one of the best defensive tackle tandems in the NFL. Fairley was quick to proclaim that the pair is already the best tandem.

"Of course," Fairley said. "We’re going to give guys trouble, man. It’s like pick your poison this year with our defensive line. You cannot come in and double-team Ndamukong and you can’t come in and double-team me.

"You won’t be able to double-team Ziggy (Ansah) or Jason Jones or Willie (Young). You have to pick who you’re going to bring your back to chip. We’re going to feed off each other, and when we get that chemistry down, it’s going to look real good for us."

With two new starters on either side of Fairley and Suh this year, a dominant (and healthy) defensive tackle tandem will go a long way toward helping the transition for projected starting defensive ends Jones and Ansah.

Fairley says he’s been diligent all offseason working with strength and conditioning coach Jason Arapoff and with Lions trainers to keep his weight where it needs to be and his strength up.

"I’m where I want to be coming into OTAs and minicamp and everything, which right now is at 315," Fairley said. "We still have two months before training camp, but I think I’m at where I want to be."

His shoulder is 100 percent ready to go, according to Fairley, and so is he.

"He's an impact player," Schwartz said. "I think that you saw all the reasons that we drafted him. The tackles for losses, affecting the passing game, sacks, chase plays. He's really a fast guy, he can chase down screens, he can do all those things. So it's been more (about) availability for him."

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Nick-Fairley-says-he-and-Ndamukong-Suh-are-the-best-defensive-tackle-tandem-in-league/cd5321c9-61c2-4b62-8069-93174e6c72b5

May 16th, 2013, 10:29 am
If you have to say you are, you're probably not...

Again, prove it...

I expect at least 10-12 sacks from the DT position this year. Anything less will be a colossal failure.

May 16th, 2013, 10:41 am
3rd Round Selection

Have I misread the article? I can't see where Fairley claims he and Suh are the best DT tandem?

May 16th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Team MVP

UK Lion wrote:
Have I misread the article? I can't see where Fairley claims he and Suh are the best DT tandem?

The title of the article says it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 16th, 2013, 1:09 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:

Quote:
When healthy, he and fellow defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh form one of the best defensive tackle tandems in the NFL. Fairley was quick to proclaim that the pair is already the best tandem.

May 16th, 2013, 1:15 pm
NFL Veteran

To be fair the article never quotes him saying that anywhere.

Quote:

"Of course," Fairley said. "We’re going to give guys trouble, man. It’s like pick your poison this year with our defensive line. You cannot come in and double-team Ndamukong and you can’t come in and double-team me.

"You won’t be able to double-team Ziggy (Ansah) or Jason Jones or Willie (Young). You have to pick who you’re going to bring your back to chip. We’re going to feed off each other, and when we get that chemistry down, it’s going to look real good for us."

It looks like to me he was asked if they are the best tandem and he agrees.

May 16th, 2013, 6:05 pm
NFL Veteran

NFL.com wrote:
Top 5 defensive tackle tandems in the NFL
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: May 16, 2013 at 10:29 a.m.
Updated: May 16, 2013 at 04:02 p.m.

Nick Fairley said the Detroit Lions already have the best defensive tackle duo in the NFL. This sounds more outlandish than it truly is.

Even though Fairley is only in his second season, we're inclined to agree with him. Ndamukong Suh quietly might have enjoyed his best NFL season last year. Fairley was a big playmaker in the second half of the year. Keep in mind that we left 3-4 teams out of the mix. Here are our top five tandems:

1. Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley, Detroit Lions: Even if you disagree, it's hard to argue that the Lions don't have the NFL's best pass-rushing interior tandem.

2. Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus, Buffalo Bills: Like the Lions' duo, they are better at disrupting plays rather than stuffing the run. Look for Buffalo to show more 3-4 looks this year under new coordinator Mike Pettine.

3. Paul Soliai and Randy Starks, Miami Dolphins: There's a reason why both players have received franchise tags in recent years. Starks' versatility is especially impressive. This is a tough duo to run on.

4. Geno Atkins and Domata Peko, Cincinnati Bengals: Atkins is the very best at his position in the league, while Peko is a solid run stopper.

5. Henry Melton and Stephen Paea, Chicago Bears: Paea still has room to grow; you get a sense he doesn't use his incredible strength just yet. Melton emerged as one of the NFL's best interior pass rushers.

Notes: Haloti Ngata needs a tag-team partner with the Baltimore Ravens. Terrence Cody has only been so-so. ... Ahtyba Rubin and Phillip Taylor merited consideration, though the Cleveland Browns are moving to a 3-4 defense. ... J.J. Watt plays defensive end, so the Houston Texans didn't count here.
Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000203072/article/top-five-defensive-tackle-tandems-in-the-nfl

Well NFL.com decided to agree with Fairley, so I guess he wasn't being to crazy.

May 16th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]