View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions sign all 2013 draft picks 
Modmin Dude

Post Lions sign all 2013 draft picks
PFT wrote:
Lions sign Ansah, without offset language
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT

Unsigned rookies typically participate in offseason workouts with a letter of protection that promises they’ll get the contract they would have gotten if they suffer a serious injury during offseason workouts.

In Detroit that won’t be necessary for any of their draft picks.

The team has announced that defensive end Ziggy Ansah, the fifth overall pick in the draft, has agreed to terms. All Lions draft picks are now under contract.

The process of negotiating rookie deals has become much simpler since the 2011 labor deal, which created a firm rookie wage scale, eliminating most topics for haggling and holdout. The last major sticking point for players taken at the top of the draft is whether the fully-guaranteed contracts will contain offset language, allowing teams to recoup part of the money if the player gets cut and signs elsewhere.

For Ansah, a league source tells PFT there’s no offset language. So if the Lions decide to cut him at any point in the next four years, Ansah gets the full amount of the contract — along with whatever else he can get from his next team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -language/

May 10th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Lions sign all 2013 draft picks
MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions announce signing of all nine draft picks
Print By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on May 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM,
updated May 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

The Detroit Lions have announced the signing of all nine 2013 draft picks.

Defensive end Ziggy Ansah, cornerback Darius Slay, guard Larry Warford, defensive end Devin Taylor, punter Sam Martin, wide receiver Corey Fuller, running back Theo Riddick, tight end Michael Williams and linebacker Brandon Hepburn all agreed to four-year deals.

As a first-round pick, Ansah's deal includes a team option for a fifth year.

Ansah is just the second first-round pick, and first in the top 10, to already agree to terms on a deal.

The team did not disclose the terms of the contracts, but those numbers can be accurately projected based on the league's rookie salary scale.

The Lions are scheduled to open up rookie minicamp on Friday. All eyes figure to be focused on Ansah.

"He's playing -- I don't want to say it's a completely different position -- but he's playing a different technique, a different style with us," Schwartz said on ESPN's "NFL Live" on Thursday. "Physically, we know the sky's the limit. We know everything he goes through is going to be a learning experience."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ing_1.html
This has to be a first for the Lions organization :shock:

Go Lions!!!
headbang.gif :cheers:

May 10th, 2013, 12:49 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
MLive wrote:

Defensive end Ziggy Ansah, cornerback Darius Slay, guard Larry Warford, defensive end Devin Taylor, punter Sam Martin, wide receiver Corey Fuller, running back Theo Riddick, tight end Michael Williams and linebacker Brandon Hepburn all agreed to four-year deals.

Ansah is just the second first-round pick, and first in the top 10, to already agree to terms on a deal.

The team did not disclose the terms of the contracts, but those numbers can be accurately projected based on the league's rookie salary scale.

The Lions are scheduled to open up rookie minicamp on Friday. All eyes figure to be focused on Ansah.

"He's playing -- I don't want to say it's a completely different position -- but he's playing a different technique, a different style with us," Schwartz said on ESPN's "NFL Live" on Thursday. "Physically, we know the sky's the limit. We know everything he goes through is going to be a learning experience."

Go Lions!!!

I'm not too thrilled about not having the offset language in there. I wonder how many of the other top 10 picks didn't have this language.

May 10th, 2013, 1:00 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
MLive wrote:

Go Lions!!!

I'm not too thrilled about not having the offset language in there. I wonder how many of the other top 10 picks didn't have this language.

It won't matter if they don't cut him. I see a VERY low probability of them cutting him. He doesnt have a disruptive history when it comes to off the field issues, and would pretty much have to tank big time to get cut for his on the field actions. Seems like a pretty safe bet IMO.

May 10th, 2013, 1:13 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
MLive wrote:

Go Lions!!!

It won't matter if they don't cut him. I see a VERY low probability of them cutting him. He doesnt have a disruptive history when it comes to off the field issues, and would pretty much have to tank big time to get cut for his on the field actions. Seems like a pretty safe bet IMO.

It matters if he suffers a career ending injury...

May 10th, 2013, 2:16 pm
Team MVP

Can someone kindly explain to me what offset language is?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 10th, 2013, 5:09 pm
kdsberman wrote:

It's language explaining how much of the contract is not guaranteed. From what I understand, it's how much the contract will be "offset" if the player doesn't complete the deal (whether it's because he can't complete it, or the team doesn't want him to complete it). It sounds like it was pretty standard language, and we waived it for Ansah. I just wonder how many other teams are doing the same, and what leverage was used by the other side to "bargain" for the better deal. We seem like we're horrible negotiators.

May 10th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

It's language explaining how much of the contract is not guaranteed. From what I understand, it's how much the contract will be "offset" if the player doesn't complete the deal (whether it's because he can't complete it, or the team doesn't want him to complete it). It sounds like it was pretty standard language, and we waived it for Ansah. I just wonder how many other teams are doing the same, and what leverage was used by the other side to "bargain" for the better deal. We seem like we're horrible negotiators.

That was quick, thanks man.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 10th, 2013, 5:25 pm
QB Coach

Here's an article that explains it pretty well. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... t-language

Basically, with offset language if we cut Ansah and another team signs him, whatever they pay him "offsets" what we owe him.

Without offset language, if we cut him we still owe him his guaranteed money and he'll make whatever the other team signs him for as well.

So, even with offset language if we cut him and nobody else signed him, we'd still owe the full balance.

May 10th, 2013, 6:33 pm
NFL Veteran

Does off-set language even matter to the team? I know it saves money for the owner, but does it actually do anything for dead money if the player is released? The money is still technically guaranteed, it just changes who is writing the check if the player gets picked up after being cut, so I think it may still hit as dead money when the player is released. Has anyone seen anything about that?

May 10th, 2013, 7:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
MLive wrote:

Go Lions!!!

It matters if he suffers a career ending injury...

Well, if he has a career ending injury, then no-one else is going to sign him. Now are they?

May 10th, 2013, 10:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Apparently offset language is rarely used. Miami used it last year with Tannenhill and basically got called out for a show of bad faith. Definitely not the best show of confidence in a player you took so high.

May 10th, 2013, 10:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
MLive wrote:

Go Lions!!!

LOL, I KNEW you would find a way to put a turd in the punch bowl

May 11th, 2013, 3:48 am
Killwill25 wrote:

There is a turd in the punch bowl. Sorry if you don't want to look at it, but it is there. If 7 out of the top 10 teams have done this, or 3 out of the top 5, I'd be ok with it. However, we CONSTANTLY agree to lesser terms than other teams, and it constantly bites us in the a.s.s... Why? Why are we so horrible at negotiating deals? Each provision has the potential to effect the team, yet time after time we seem more than willing to "bargain" our position away.

May 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

There is a turd in the punch bowl. Sorry if you don't want to look at it, but it is there. If 7 out of the top 10 teams have done this, or 3 out of the top 5, I'd be ok with it. However, we CONSTANTLY agree to lesser terms than other teams, and it constantly bites us in the a.s.s... Why? Why are we so horrible at negotiating deals? Each provision has the potential to effect the team, yet time after time we seem more than willing to "bargain" our position away.

Come on man, you're reaching for a negative story here. I think we should change your username to Drew Sharp 2.0. Offset language isn't a common thing in first round picks. In fact, it's not common in any rookie deals. Looking back at some of the high profile picks over the past few years, the following list of players do not have offset language in their contracts:

Cam Newton (#1 overall pick)
Luke Kuechly (#9)
Justin Blackmon (#5)
Andrew Luck (#1)
Robert Griffin (#2)
Mark Barron (#7)
Morris Claiborn (#6)
(at least the top 7 picks from last year's draft did not include offset language)

In fact, most articles I can find note that the Dolphins putting the language in Tannehill's contract last year was a very different, and not positively viewed thing. There are a lot of reports that teams want the language in the contracts because it protects them, but so far players and agents haven't agreed to it, so it's not a standard thing, and certainly isn't a "turd in the punch bowl". What else you got Drew Sharp 2.0?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 12th, 2013, 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next