View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ryan Broyles doesn't expect to go on PUP list 
Modmin Dude

Post Ryan Broyles doesn't expect to go on PUP list
Freep wrote:
Detroit Lions minicamp: Ryan Broyles doesn't expect to go on PUP list
8:39 AM, June 14, 2013

He didn’t stumble upon any magic elixirs or go to the Adrian Peterson school of miraculous rehabs, but Lions receiver Ryan Broyles did learn a secret from his first torn ACL that has made recovering from his second much easier — patience.

Broyles was a full participant in all three days of minicamp this week, six months and one week after undergoing surgery on his right knee.

Last spring, while recovering from the torn left ACL he suffered as a senior at Oklahoma, Broyles pushed his knee beyond its limits in rehab as he rushed to get ready for his pro day.

That decision paid off. He ran well enough and looked crisp enough in predraft workouts that the Lions took him in the second round.

But it came at an expense.

“Last year I kind of beat my knee up trying to get ready for the combine,” Broyles said. “You’ve got to be smart about what you do and last year I had to hurry up before my quad was strong enough and before my hammy and my glut was strong enough, I was out there running so I could get ready for the pro day. I ran at the pro day 3½ months (after surgery). I didn’t really start running here until about five months, so I think that extra month and a half really helped me out.”

Slowly, Broyles has progressed from range-of-motion exercises to pool work to light running to practice.

He took part in just position drills at the start of organized team activities last month, and by the time minicamp opened this week he had convinced coaches he was ready for full team work.

Through it all, Broyles said he hasn’t dealt with as much knee pain or tenderness as he did last year, when he developed a bone bruise on his knee that stayed with him for months and had him wondering mid-season if his explosiveness would return.

“This time, there’s really not much pressure on my patella right now because my quad is firing correctly, so I think that has a large part to do with it,” Broyles said. “Rest is really the biggest thing, and that’s what I’ve learned this time around. And really I couldn’t really do that (last year) because I had to get ready to go in and show what I have. So this time around it’s worked out a lot better for me. I still got a ways to go, but continue on this pace.”

Broyles said he doesn’t expect to start on the physically-unable-to-perform list when training camp opens next month, and if he can avoid that and continue on his current progression he could provide a huge lift for a Lions offense that barely addressed the receiver position this off-season.

“I think we saw some of (what he can do) late in the year last year before he got hurt,” quarterback Matthew Stafford said. “He had a really good game against Houston, he made some big catches on third down against Jacksonville, too, so he’s a guy that can be a chain mover and at the same time can be explosive in there with some catch and run.”

After barely playing the first month of last season, Broyles showed glimpses of the skillset that made him the NCAA’s all-time leading receiver during a productive six-game stretch preceding his injury last fall.

He had touchdowns or first downs on his first six career catches and averaged 14.1 yards a reception for the season while playing primarily in the slot.

“It gave me a lot of confidence,” Broyles said. “A new guy coming into the league, you’re kind of thinking, ‘Is this for me? Am I going to be good enough?’ And I kind of had some ups and downs before I really got into the mix and then when I went out there and made some plays, it just built my confidence. So throughout this whole off-season I didn’t really have to press too much. I feel like when I come back and I come back healthy, I’ll be ready.”

With the Lions’ off-season program finished, Broyles said he’ll spend the next four weeks working out at Athletes Performance Institute in Pensacola, Fla.

He’s not quite 100% yet, but he said he’ll be ready for whatever role coaches have in mind for him this year.

“The body heals,” Broyles said. “People on the outside looking in, it might affect the way they think about me, but I know I’m a hard worker and the body’s going to heal, so I just got to take my time on that and just continue to come back and be as strong as I can.”

Beat writer Dave Birkett will answer your Lions questions in a live chat at 11 a.m. Friday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-550-4592 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/davebirkett
http://www.freep.com/article/20130614/S ... r-minicamp

June 14th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Ryan Broyles doesn't expect to go on PUP list
Don't know why this thread is short on action but I'd love to have Broyles be a week 1 contributer. He specializes in getting open and making YAC. With CJ, Bush, and Even Pettigrew(I know he sucks but for whatever reason, Stafford throws it to him all the time) being somewhat gameplanned for, Ryan Broyles has a legitimate chance to put up Victor Cruz like numbers, IF HE AVOIDS PUP AND STAYS HEALTHY. Hopefully the OK connection with AP keeps him safe from those damn football Gods. I'm guessing his ACL will be fine but hopefully he can get over the mental cruch during Training Camp.

Also, I just read that Raiola is up to 310lbs. If we can make holes on the DL, that can also help open things for Broyles

June 17th, 2013, 12:53 am
3rd Round Selection

Good news. I liked what I saw of Broyles last season - like you say, the guy just knows how to get open. A full season from him could be impressive. I think Cruz like numbers is a big stretch, but I can see the guy churning out first downs when we need them.

June 17th, 2013, 3:07 am
NFL Veteran

Killwill25 wrote:
Don't know why this thread is short on action but I'd love to have Broyles be a week 1 contributer. He specializes in getting open and making YAC. With CJ, Bush, and Even Pettigrew(I know he sucks but for whatever reason, Stafford throws it to him all the time) being somewhat gameplanned for, Ryan Broyles has a legitimate chance to put up Victor Cruz like numbers, IF HE AVOIDS PUP AND STAYS HEALTHY. Hopefully the OK connection with AP keeps him safe from those damn football Gods. I'm guessing his ACL will be fine but hopefully he can get over the mental cruch during Training Camp.

Also, I just read that Raiola is up to 310lbs. If we can make holes on the DL, that can also help open things for Broyles

I don't see Broyles putting up super numbers, but I think he will be that 3rd down conversion guy they need. His knowledge of the slot and his ability to get open should help them convert a lot more than trying to run screens or dump offs to Nate. Broyles has never had deep speed, so he's probably not going to be a big TD guy and he's a little small to be an outside guy since he lacks great speed.

June 17th, 2013, 11:18 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Love what Broyles brings to the table. Just hope he can stay healthy.

June 17th, 2013, 11:34 am
QB Coach

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 4b661002a1

I really like the attitude this kid brings. He's like the anti Titus Young. I hope he can get healthy and stay that way.

July 2nd, 2013, 7:41 pm
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Life-of-Broyles-Episode-1-Injury-and-Rehab/fd458d35-1b5f-4f8b-b3f3-fa4b661002a1

I really like the attitude this kid brings. He's like the anti Titus Young. I hope he can get healthy and stay that way.

Agree. I think he will be a big contributor too. Liked what I saw from him before he got hurt.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 3rd, 2013, 2:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

has anyone been watching the vids of him and his wife on the Lions website? I love those two

July 15th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]