View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Stafford is at least close where he should be for the first few years of the new deal. Is he a $17 million QB, maybe not but in today's NFL he is in the $15 million a year range.

The real problems are the other huge deals, Suh and Calvin. Calvin is the greatest WR playing in the NFL right now and I love watching him play but it's a double edged sword. Teams paying the elite WRs since the start of the cap era usually haven't come away with the Lombardi trophy, its just too much money to a player that just doesn't get the ball enough. Calvin had a career year and his catches were only roughly 10% of the teams total offensive snaps. As I said I love seeing Calvin in a Lions jersey but I'd rather pay two WRs that aren't once in a life time players $10-12 million a year as opposed to paying one WR $20 million a season.

With Suh there is no way the Lions can get good value even in an extension. The average salary for the top DTs in the league is I believe between $8-10 million a season and I can't see Suh averaging anything less than $15 million and his play just doesn't justify making 50-75% more than most of the other top DTs in the league. At this point the only way to maximize Suh would be in a tag and trade if or more likely when he opts out. As far as Calvin goes he's too good to move even at his salary, but I'd move him in three years to get maximum value before age starts to cause a significant decline and with WRs when it hits it hits fast.

With Stafford I'd use a 2nd rounder this next draft if the QBs pan out as well as they look going into this college season. There should be a QB to groom in that 2nd round in case Stafford doesn't take the next step allowing them to cut bait when the $20 million years are about to kick in. Even if he does come through it should give the Lions a tradable commodity. I don't people don't like the idea of letting talent leave but to be good for a long time and not just a short window I can't see Suh being a Lion. With Calvin we have to keep in mind that the G.O.A.T. Jerry Rice didn't stay with the 49ers.

July 16th, 2013, 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9